Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (2 responses)

Posted August 05, 2016
I'm astonished at the negative comments (which IMHO seem to reflect personality flaws of the complainers). I've taught school in Israel, USA, Japan and China, including Montessori school in the US. Very very impressed with this school, an amazing example of a public school that beats so many private schools. Our girl has really learned Spanish, spoken and written, and also Math, social studies, science. Excellent relations between different ethnicities. And may I mention the events, which are SPECTACULAR!

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted June 14, 2016
There are a few teachers who served our children well but not enough and I'm sorry I put my children in this school.

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted June 14, 2016
If you are an active parent in this school, they will bend over backwards for you. If you are depending on the teachers, staff, and administration, they are some of the most ineffective in the SDUSD school district.

Develops grit: Disagree

Posted June 14, 2016
Although the student to teacher ratio is low compared to other schools in low performing communities, they only favor children with active parents.

Develops empathy: Neutral

Posted June 14, 2016
They tend to teach what suits them. Mainly they teach what suits the principal, Sr. Sanchez.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted June 14, 2016
All the children with parents who are active tend to get favoritism. This school gets its funding from children who bus in from other home districts, yet treats most of those children unfairly because there is a high percentage of minorities.

Longfellow K-8 1

Posted June 14, 2016
This school doesn't have any funding for tutors. So if you have a low performing child, be prepared for the school to place all blame on the parents. I wish this school would use funding to help the children instead of a multitude of field trips. I'm glad we are taking our children out! Not so many years ago, we received notice that Longfellow was a failing school and we had the option to transfer. We should have seen the writing on the walls.

Posted September 08, 2015
We have a First and Third grader. We are super happy with all of our teachers thus far. The community is also fantastic. We feel that the education is amazing and that our children and very successful in their Spanish learning. They have far surpassed what my husband and I learned in H.S and college! The environment is very healthy and we have had nothing but amazing relationships with the teachers that we have had. The school is also well funded with PTO fundraising, which allows our kids to have great field trips and other opportunities. We also are amazing with the Running Club. Come on campus if you are considering Longfellow at 8:45 am any week morning and see what a great community and volunteer base we have!

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted September 08, 2015
Our children are challenged - in a good way - at this school and have expectations set high. This really allows the children to accomplish a lot and also feel proud!

Posted October 25, 2013
My son is currently in first grade at Longfellow. So far he has had two amazing teachers and we are so impressed with how much he's learned. We frequently travel to Mexico and he now orders all of our food when we go to the local restaurant on our property. I am particularly impressed with the PTO and all the great events that they plan and for the students. We feel so lucky that our child is being educated in such an enriching environment.

5055 July Street, San Diego, CA  92110-1114
Last modified Longfellow K-8 is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.