Marston Middle School

Public | 6-8

Posted June 23, 2014

I have had two children attending Marston, and so far we have been pleased. Dr. Cook is highly accessible and the teachers have been very responsive to my children. My children are doing great academically and are enjoying Middle School. What more could a parent ask for?

Posted April 18, 2014

I had the privilege of working in the office of Marston Middle School for a little over one year. I was so impressed with the learning opportunities and student supports offered there. Teachers go above and beyond by providing before and after school tutoring. Marston is a campus that emphasizes college as a given, working with students toward that goal. I think the thing I was most impressed with was that Marston also offers a unique Advisory Program to provide intervention and exploration to students within the school day. These advisory programs change every three weeks and provide a rich and unique learning experience for the students. It gives struggling students a chance to get extra support, students who did not turn in class or homework assignments get a chance to catch up and students have an opportunity to experience a variety of fun and creative learning opportunities from cooking to hockey to pet care to Readers Theater, just to name a few. There is something exciting waiting for each child. And isn t that what school is all about, not only educating our students but instilling the excitement to learn.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 16, 2014

I have been very impressed with the level of rigor and academic opportunities my children have had access to at this school. The 3 week rotation of exploration classes allow the students to try new activities they might not think to try in another setting. We are excited to be part of this community that is so dedicated to its schools!

Posted January 13, 2014

I have a sixth grader at Marston and I've been very pleased with the school so far. My student is in GATE/Seminar and advanced classes and has been challenged academically. She has also had the opportunity to try new skills with her elective and with the advisory experiences that change every 3 weeks. I feel there is excellent communication opportunities with her teachers and decent communication between the school administration and parents

Posted January 8, 2014

I recently toured this school and am very excited for my daughter to start there in the fall. There have been lots of changes in the past few years and Dr. Cook seems to have the school on the right track.

Posted June 7, 2011

This is a good school but the rushed 7-period daily schedule and the crowded environment are not for everyone. One of its unique assets is the wood shop - very few schools can boast anything like it now, and it is getting an upgrade in 2011. The PE department is also very good, with PE (in a uniform, not street clothes) every day. The principal is concerned and involved and does her best to manage a fairly chaotic workplace. The school is crowded, with many students bussed in from low-income neighborhoods - not bad in itself but you hardly ever see those kids' parents. The schedule is hectic, and my child soon learned that their most important task was to keep track of the movement of paper - in and out of an enormous binder that students lug around with them all day. Many times my child complained they felt they "processed" in a "factory", rather than taught or encouraged. With so many students, some teachers tend to be impersonal, and seem to assume that students with unusual requests must be doing something "bad", even if they ask to make up late or lost work, for example. The Dean of students is great though, so don't be afraid to call on him to fix any problems.

Posted March 12, 2011

I am an 8th grade student who has gone to Marston for the past three years and though I do agree that it has some good academic programs, the teachers do often lack encouragement. In sixth grade I remember my teachers pushing us harder and harder to get to the top. As I moved up in grades I noticed that the motivations stopped. The people who motivate us students the most would not be the core class teachers, but the Physical Education teachers. One of them has really kept me moving since the day I met him. Sadly Marston will be loosing this man this year and I feel worried that most of the upcoming students will no longer have the man in action to look up to. My school definatly has a horrible problem with bullying and the counselers don't really seem to care anymore. Basically, if you have a conflict, don't go to them.

Posted March 8, 2009

I am very impressed with Marston Middle School. I chose to have my daughter go there instead of her neighborhood school and am extremely happy with the choice. She has made some great friendships, as well as connected with her teachers. I fully recommend this school. The atmosphere is friendly, helpful and we have received help and guidance whenever we need it.

Posted August 19, 2008

I have had 2 sons attend this school and have 2 more children about to attend Marston. We LOVE this school. Dr. Cook, the principal, is amazing! She really cares about this shcool and puts her heart and soul into it. Also, the teachers are terrific! Couldn't have had a better experience.

Posted January 9, 2008

I think this school is better than the ranking it is given. I pulled my child out of our local area school to attend Marston, and I am totally satisfied with the decision I made. My child has jumped ahead in leaps & bounds since attending Martson. The teachers here are great & very creative with their teaching methods. My child now loves going to school thanks to the collective effort of the principal, teachers & parents.

Posted August 29, 2006

I think this school is the best there is the teachers are friendly, kind, and they all love to teach. I had difficulty as a student passing classes, but with the help of the teachers I managed to pass. Marston offers a lot of tutoring and programs to help you easily pass your classes. I like this school and my parents do to, I am looking forward to my own children to go to this school as well. I give this school a 5 my experience at this school has been great! I really do recommend this school!
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 17, 2006

The school is better this year than last. However, the school lacks direction and parent involvement. High achieving students are sacrificed for the sake of students who are pulling their weight.

Posted January 25, 2006

Get your child into advanced classes if you can! My son enrolled in both advanced and non-advanced classes. In the advanced classes he made friends with highly motivated students and that pushed him academically. I talked to a lot of other parents to get suggestions on which teachers were best, and which teachers collaborate together (Mrs. Sedgwick was one, but she may have retired? She was excellent.) The principal seems genuinly caring and kind. Mrs. Rich (think that was her name), a vice-principal, was very cold and distant with both me and the students I saw her around. Don't let that discourage you, though-- get involved and this can be a great school!

Posted March 31, 2005

I once was a student at Marston back in 1972 but things have changed! The school has been great when it comes to my sons education and concern from teachers also. I do have a problem with the lack of safty and the problem with bullies! I have made complaints and the teachers have been aware of it, but my son is harrassed everyday and punched! Talking to these kids haven't helped and when something was said to them once, my son paid a price for telling, even though they didn't tell them it was my son, they knew. J. Shelley

Posted March 7, 2005

This School tries very hard to stress academics. The 8th grade science program leaves alot to be desired though, it falls short of providing a easy to understand curriculum. The rest of the academic program is good. If you are a parent that likes to get involved there are plenty of opportunities to do so.

Posted November 29, 2004

I am very pleased with Marston Middle school. There are excellent teachers and staff. The overall attitude of teachers make students want to achieve. The libriarian is outstanding in her knowledge and going beyond to help students.

Posted May 4, 2004

I give teacher Joan Schioldager a 5-star rating because through thick and thin, she has been an absolute pleasure to communicate with regarding my daughter's progress. She truly cares about the students and she is always pleasant and respectful to the parents. It is teachers like her that positively impact a student for a lifetime. One can always discuss with her their child's progress and will see how wonderful it is to interact with her. Thank you Marston for having Joan Schioldager at your school.

Posted January 20, 2004

It has teachers that not only care about their students, but work very hard to help out as much as they can! Almost all of them take on the responsibility of a club, and stay late for extra one-on-one help. Extra-curriculars are spectacular- I was involved with ASB, Choir, Drama, the Motivation Program, Cheer club, Golf club, etc.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted November 5, 2003

My son has brought home poor grades the last two years in a row. I do not feel that the teachers or the counselors are doing what they should be to help my son. His test scores CAT6 and SAT9 are college level. The five stars that the 'two parents' gave and the comments they wrote seem lacking. It comes as no surprise that only 'two parents' out of the over 1200 students that attened this school are rating with five stars. I'm sure that my comments will never reach the posted comment board for other parents to read. I rate this school below standard and not worthy of any star rating. My son came from Bay Park Elementary with A's and on the Honor Roll and since his attendance at Marston, his grades have dropped, and he has a lack of intrest and motivation in school work and activities.

Posted October 20, 2003

We would just like to thank Dr. Cook for all of the hard work that she, her staff and the teachers provide for the betterment of our children/students. This school is outstanding, and we would recommend Marston to any parent in search of a great middle school for their child. Not only do my husband and I think highly of Marston, but our daughter enjoys the school so much, and thinks the world of the teachers and staff. Please continue the wonderful work, thanks to all of you, my husand and I and many other parents will be able to say that all of you contributed to the success of our children, due to the awesome teaching, discipline and leadership that they received at Martson Middle School.

This school's

(2012)

6 / 10

5 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

6 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

5 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

220 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

223 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

252 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

219 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

217 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

245 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

24 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

257 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

250 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students62%

Parent education - high school graduate59%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)59%
Parent education - college graduate75%
Parent education - declined to state45%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Studentsn/a
Femalesn/a
Malesn/a
White (not Hispanic)n/a
Not economically disadvantagedn/a
Students with disabilityn/a
Students with no reported disabilityn/a
Fluent-English proficient and English onlyn/a

• Elizabeth Cook
Fax number
  • (858) 272-3460

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now