Posted June 23, 2014
I have had two children attending Marston, and so far we have been pleased. Dr. Cook is highly accessible and the teachers have been very responsive to my children. My children are doing great academically and are enjoying Middle School. What more could a parent ask for?

Posted April 18, 2014
I had the privilege of working in the office of Marston Middle School for a little over one year. I was so impressed with the learning opportunities and student supports offered there. Teachers go above and beyond by providing before and after school tutoring. Marston is a campus that emphasizes college as a given, working with students toward that goal. I think the thing I was most impressed with was that Marston also offers a unique Advisory Program to provide intervention and exploration to students within the school day. These advisory programs change every three weeks and provide a rich and unique learning experience for the students. It gives struggling students a chance to get extra support, students who did not turn in class or homework assignments get a chance to catch up and students have an opportunity to experience a variety of fun and creative learning opportunities from cooking to hockey to pet care to Readers Theater, just to name a few. There is something exciting waiting for each child. And isn t that what school is all about, not only educating our students but instilling the excitement to learn.

Posted January 16, 2014
I have been very impressed with the level of rigor and academic opportunities my children have had access to at this school. The 3 week rotation of exploration classes allow the students to try new activities they might not think to try in another setting. We are excited to be part of this community that is so dedicated to its schools!

Marston Middle School 4

Posted January 13, 2014
I have a sixth grader at Marston and I've been very pleased with the school so far. My student is in GATE/Seminar and advanced classes and has been challenged academically. She has also had the opportunity to try new skills with her elective and with the advisory experiences that change every 3 weeks. I feel there is excellent communication opportunities with her teachers and decent communication between the school administration and parents

Posted January 08, 2014
I recently toured this school and am very excited for my daughter to start there in the fall. There have been lots of changes in the past few years and Dr. Cook seems to have the school on the right track.

Marston Middle School 4

Posted June 07, 2011
This is a good school but the rushed 7-period daily schedule and the crowded environment are not for everyone. One of its unique assets is the wood shop - very few schools can boast anything like it now, and it is getting an upgrade in 2011. The PE department is also very good, with PE (in a uniform, not street clothes) every day. The principal is concerned and involved and does her best to manage a fairly chaotic workplace. The school is crowded, with many students bussed in from low-income neighborhoods - not bad in itself but you hardly ever see those kids' parents. The schedule is hectic, and my child soon learned that their most important task was to keep track of the movement of paper - in and out of an enormous binder that students lug around with them all day. Many times my child complained they felt they "processed" in a "factory", rather than taught or encouraged. With so many students, some teachers tend to be impersonal, and seem to assume that students with unusual requests must be doing something "bad", even if they ask to make up late or lost work, for example. The Dean of students is great though, so don't be afraid to call on him to fix any problems.

Marston Middle School 2

Posted March 12, 2011
I am an 8th grade student who has gone to Marston for the past three years and though I do agree that it has some good academic programs, the teachers do often lack encouragement. In sixth grade I remember my teachers pushing us harder and harder to get to the top. As I moved up in grades I noticed that the motivations stopped. The people who motivate us students the most would not be the core class teachers, but the Physical Education teachers. One of them has really kept me moving since the day I met him. Sadly Marston will be loosing this man this year and I feel worried that most of the upcoming students will no longer have the man in action to look up to. My school definatly has a horrible problem with bullying and the counselers don't really seem to care anymore. Basically, if you have a conflict, don't go to them.

Marston Middle School 1

Posted June 27, 2009

Posted March 08, 2009
I am very impressed with Marston Middle School. I chose to have my daughter go there instead of her neighborhood school and am extremely happy with the choice. She has made some great friendships, as well as connected with her teachers. I fully recommend this school. The atmosphere is friendly, helpful and we have received help and guidance whenever we need it.

Posted August 19, 2008
I have had 2 sons attend this school and have 2 more children about to attend Marston. We LOVE this school. Dr. Cook, the principal, is amazing! She really cares about this shcool and puts her heart and soul into it. Also, the teachers are terrific! Couldn't have had a better experience.

Marston Middle School
3799 Clairemont Drive, San Diego, CA  92117
(858) 273-2030
Last modified Marston Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Marston Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 30 reviews.