Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (2 responses)

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted December 22, 2015
Teachers and staff members: I want to thank you all for your tireless dedication to these kids. I don't know how you do it but you know all of their names and manage to make them all feel loved, nurtured and respected. As a parent, I appreciate the long hours you put in to make a difference in my children's lives. THANK YOU!

Posted December 22, 2015
My family and I LOVE McKinley Elementary! My daughter attended from kindergarten through 5th grade and currently my son is in kindergarten. Through that span the school has continually improved. The teachers are all different but amazing in their own way. In the 7 years that my kids have attended, the McKinley staff have become like family to us. The IB program is implemented very well, I think that it helps nurture my children's global mindset. The location is great, nestled into our beautiful North Park neighborhood. The parent community at McKinley is the BEST. So many volunteer their time and resources, it really makes a huge difference in the school. The principal is new but so far she has been great. Go McKinley Cougars!

Posted September 14, 2015
My son was here from K-6 and he thrived here. I have noticed at his middle school that most of the kids in advanced classes are from McKinley. My daughter is still at the school and I'm not looking forward to her graduating and no longer being a part of this great community.

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted September 14, 2015
I chose staff member only because I can't whose all. The staff and parents have made this school into a community and a family and I am really grateful to so many of them.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted September 14, 2015
We haven't had a negative experience at any grade level thus far. My son has gone through K-5 and my daughter K-2 so far.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted September 14, 2015
It does depend on the teacher and grade. I feel my answer is in between just right and too much.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted September 14, 2015
As an IB school I feel there are higher standards for the kids personal development.

McKinley Elementary School 3

Posted August 13, 2015
I wanted to love this school. We tried for two years. However, I must regretfully tell you that my child had less knowledge upon leaving this school two years later than he did when he started. We met with the principal, teacher, and counselors and tried to get our needs/concerns addressed. There were many promises made yet not a single one followed through on. There was extensive bullying from one troubled child on to many other children which was not handled assertively enough. If your child is an average learner this place is probably perfect for you. We loved so many of the children and parents who went to this school, we were terribly disappointed that it didn't work for us.

Posted October 15, 2014
I love this school! I've been in the neighborhood for 25 years and have seen it flourish in the last 5 years. I now have a 3rd grader and a Kindergartner there too. The principal, Julie Ashton-Gray, is amazing. She lives for this school. I am so happy she is our kids principal.

Posted April 22, 2014
When we were looking at local elementary schools for our child, we were inspired by what we saw at McKinley. The teachers were caring and the students were engaged. The school's International Baccalaureate (IB) program was really appealing. Best of all, parents were involved in school activities as volunteers. We had a really good feeling about the place. We were selected in the school lottery to enroll and our child has been there for 4 years now. We couldn't be happier with what we've seen. Our child is doing really well in school and my wife and I volunteer when we have time. McKinley is truly one of those "dream schools".

3045 Felton Street, San Diego, CA  92104-5218
Last modified McKinley Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.