Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

I cannot express how happy our family is at McKinley. As a former elementary teacher myself, I had very high expectations and McKinley has surpassed them all! I have two young children attending and both are thriving. The teachers have all been incredibly nurturing and supportive and have instilled in my children a love for learning. The amazing community and parent support has provided programs at this school that include music, gardening, art, theater, and more. The principal, Deb Ganderton, is an incredible leader and dedicated to making McKinley not just a great school, but a community of thoughtful, positive, and caring learners that are motivated to make their world a better place. I feel so fortunate that my children can attend!

My family and I LOVE McKinley Elementary! My daughter attended from kindergarten through 5th grade and currently my son is in kindergarten. Through that span the school has continually improved. The teachers are all different but amazing in their own way. In the 7 years that my kids have attended, the McKinley staff have become like family to us. The IB program is implemented very well, I think that it helps nurture my children's global mindset. The location is great, nestled into our beautiful North Park neighborhood. The parent community at McKinley is the BEST. So many volunteer their time and resources, it really makes a huge difference in the school. The principal is new but so far she has been great. Go McKinley Cougars!

My son was here from K-6 and he thrived here. I have noticed at his middle school that most of the kids in advanced classes are from McKinley. My daughter is still at the school and I'm not looking forward to her graduating and no longer being a part of this great community.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

We haven't had a negative experience at any grade level thus far. My son has gone through K-5 and my daughter K-2 so far.

Amount of homework: Agree

It does depend on the teacher and grade. I feel my answer is in between just right and too much.

Develops character: Strongly agree

As an IB school I feel there are higher standards for the kids personal development.

I wanted to love this school. We tried for two years. However, I must regretfully tell you that my child had less knowledge upon leaving this school two years later than he did when he started. We met with the principal, teacher, and counselors and tried to get our needs/concerns addressed. There were many promises made yet not a single one followed through on. There was extensive bullying from one troubled child on to many other children which was not handled assertively enough. If your child is an average learner this place is probably perfect for you. We loved so many of the children and parents who went to this school, we were terribly disappointed that it didn't work for us.

I love this school! I've been in the neighborhood for 25 years and have seen it flourish in the last 5 years. I now have a 3rd grader and a Kindergartner there too. The principal, Julie Ashton-Gray, is amazing. She lives for this school. I am so happy she is our kids principal.

When we were looking at local elementary schools for our child, we were inspired by what we saw at McKinley. The teachers were caring and the students were engaged. The school's International Baccalaureate (IB) program was really appealing. Best of all, parents were involved in school activities as volunteers. We had a really good feeling about the place. We were selected in the school lottery to enroll and our child has been there for 4 years now. We couldn't be happier with what we've seen. Our child is doing really well in school and my wife and I volunteer when we have time. McKinley is truly one of those "dream schools".

McKinley is an amazing community - I say that because it's so much more than just a school. The parent involvement is high and the teaching standards are excellent. There is great diversity amongst the students which broadens and enriches the lives of all students. I have two students there 2nd and 5th grade. Both are challenged by teachers to excel beyond and the math homework is so tough in 5th I can't do it!! Great leadership by the principal and the supporting staff and team are amazing, caring and beyond helpful. I can't recommend this school enough. It's a real gift to have on our doorstep.

Last modified McKinley Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.