Posted April 22, 2014
When we were looking at local elementary schools for our child, we were inspired by what we saw at McKinley. The teachers were caring and the students were engaged. The school's International Baccalaureate (IB) program was really appealing. Best of all, parents were involved in school activities as volunteers. We had a really good feeling about the place. We were selected in the school lottery to enroll and our child has been there for 4 years now. We couldn't be happier with what we've seen. Our child is doing really well in school and my wife and I volunteer when we have time. McKinley is truly one of those "dream schools".

Posted April 21, 2014
McKinley is an amazing community - I say that because it's so much more than just a school. The parent involvement is high and the teaching standards are excellent. There is great diversity amongst the students which broadens and enriches the lives of all students. I have two students there 2nd and 5th grade. Both are challenged by teachers to excel beyond and the math homework is so tough in 5th I can't do it!! Great leadership by the principal and the supporting staff and team are amazing, caring and beyond helpful. I can't recommend this school enough. It's a real gift to have on our doorstep.

Posted April 21, 2014
The students care. They care for other kids and their school. At larger school performances, there's a real encouragement for a good time. Motivated by this spirit, teachers and student support workers are present and supportative.The school is neither too large nor too small. The student population is a healthy mix of students with a variety of interests and passions. From kindergarten on, my son has had every opportunity to follow his passion for learning and experimenting. As a young creative mind, he has been given a wonderful outlet at school to expose early talents in team and individual project themes. Working in groups and by himself, he has grown in character and intellectually. It's hard to imagine that 5 year old newbie, who's now 10 and going strong. Thanks to McKinley Elementary, I feel that he's prepared for a much more diverse world in the coming years scholastically and in the real world.

Posted April 20, 2014
I LOVE McKinley Elementary! We are a true community school that cares for it's kids. The teachers, Principal and administrative staff put the hearts and souls into the kids. They don't just say they care, they show it. And the parents...well we are a great team! From fundraising, to after school clubs, school events, volunteering, being friendly and caring and looking out for each other's kids; our school rocks!

Posted April 07, 2014
My 1st grade daughter is thriving at this neighborhood school. Diverse, creative, and progressive--- this is a neighborhood gem!

Posted March 13, 2014
My son hasn't even started here yet but I already love it! I went on a tour with the principal who is funny, friendly, and made me feel very welcomed at the school. Their way of teach in.g is great. The kids actually matter here !

Posted October 21, 2013
My son just started kindergarten this year. So far we have been very impressed with the community involvement with the school. But the 4 star rating is based on the school sanctioned before/after hour options. The on-site free care program has very limited space and a very long wait list. We applied as soon as we could and were no where near close to getting a spot. The alternative care is off-site with a local YMCA and costs $160/week. This is 2/3 the cost we were paying for a high quality full time preschool! And for, in our case, just 10-13 hours of care a week. We were fortunate to find from word of mouth about the North Park Christian School as an affordable before/after school option.

Posted September 26, 2013
Great school ! Both my son and daughter go here . It's a great school lots of parent involment . Big part of the community . They offer music, Spanish , ceramics . My kids love it ! Great staff and great teachers!

Posted August 30, 2013
We are thrilled with McKinley. Principal Julie Ashton-Gray is wonderful and the teachers have been excellent so far. I have helped with the annual Chilipalooza Fest, which raised about 40K for ceramics, dance, theater and language classes for the kids. It is a true neighborhood school and I couldn't be happier with it! My daughter attended Montessori before going here.

McKinley Elementary School 3

Posted April 25, 2012
This is an excellent school with terrific teachers, principal, and best of all a community that cares. We feel so fortunate to have this school as our public school option in our neighborhood. The PTC rocks and has terrific fundraisers!!!

McKinley Elementary School
3045 Felton Street, San Diego, CA  92104
Last modified McKinley Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
McKinley Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 59 reviews.