San Diego, CA

Miller Elementary School 2

Posted August 16, 2015
I'm so disappointed in this school! From their office staff to the 1st grade teacher my child had. The teacher was unprofessional and rude. At one point my child asked me why the teacher didn't like him. As a mother to know your child knows he's not liked by the teacher is awful. The VP tried to help but by the time things got really bad it was the end of the year. She at one point told me she showed more love to the children she thought didn't get love! She favored the girls! She ignored the boys and enjoyed trying to make parents feel stupid! I hope 2nd grade and Kindergarten goes better!

Miller Elementary School 5

Posted June 18, 2015
I am a new teacher at Miller Elementary and I have found it to be a very supportive environment. I have never been at a school where the administration is more committed to all students. When a problem arises it is handled in a nurturing and professional manner. We have an amazing counselor who puts forth a lot of effort to teach and ensure a kind environment at our school. I feel very lucky to work with such an amazing staff!

Posted June 10, 2015
This is my child's first year at this school. Her teacher is great as well as the counselor and vice principal. The front office staff is the worst I've seen since my kids have been in school. They regularly ignore you, and are pretty unwelcoming. I'm unsure why they are working at this job since they have to deal with the public and don't seem to enjoy it. Aside from that I have no complaints.

Miller Elementary School 5

Posted June 05, 2015
My children have attended Miller for the last two years and I have been very pleased by our experience thus far. There are some great teachers, the new vice principal for the 2014/15 year is wonderful and the school counselor goes above and beyond for the students. I have to agree with a previous reviewer about the office staff though. They don't exactly offer the warmest reception. They have been rude and snippy with me on numerous occasions. Miller has many unique challenges to face with over 95% of the children military affliated. I believe they meet these challenges to the best of their ability. I know my children are safe, valued and are receiving a quality education.

Posted April 05, 2015
As a former teacher at this school, I will say this school is by far one of the worst schools I have ever worked for. The support staff and most the teachers were fine in my opinion. This school is filled with children with special needs (at least 1 out of 5 children) with the lack of staff members and classrooms to support all these children's needs. There was allot of bullying going on at this school with the lack of punishment when caught bullying. I defiantly did not agree with how the principal handled certain issues at this school which made me leave this school and find an allot better school in the district of San Diego.

Posted November 20, 2014
i have no problem with teachers but they didn't inform me there would be no gate programs continued this school year. I had transfered my son from another elementary school 2 years ago because miller was providing gate programs. now my son is still there but no gate programs he deserves to get. school failed to inform parents who has children in gate programs in advance, so we didn't have time to check or transfer kids to other gate schools available. And, a lady in the front office is VERY RUDE and not helpful at all.

Posted May 29, 2014
As an active parent in my children's education I like to be involved with teachers principals and office staff. So far in the 8 months my boys have gone to this school I'm very dissatisfied. Office staff is very disrespectful mainly the front office lady she makes me feel like a criminal every time I set foot into the school. My boys are uncomfortable in their classes my youngest was the friendliest and a thrill for other teachers to have in class but in this school he is scolded by his teacher for actions of his classmates that he has nothing to do with he is bullied by kids and every time I go to the office with an issue its swept under the rug. I'm sure these are fine teachers but classes seem to be out of control, more time is spent stopping the entire class to scold one child. The principal does her rounds but I'm not convinced she cares about the well being of these children. She comes across judgmental and unprofessional. Over all I believe the majority of the staff have given up the kids are responding to lack of authority and the parents are walking away because honestly they don't even want to deal with it. This isnt an environment for learning this is a daycare.

Posted January 20, 2014
My child goes to Miller Elementary. I was worried with his school due to having three different teachers within the first few weeks of school, he has now settled in with this last teacher I hope and has gained massive ground. She truly is a great teacher and helpful in all facets of her job. I am not fond of the front office lady, and go out of my way to not interact with her at all, vry nasty attitude she always has. The principal is very nice and friendly, I like seeing her walk the grounds and be available to people and kids a like. The lunch room guards need to be more watchful of the kids than each other, things have happened to my son and when he tries to explain he gets brushed off

Posted November 19, 2013
My son was bullied by the same two kids for the first half of his first grade year. This wasn't just name calling and what not, my son was being hit and kicked and the teachers were witnessing it! 1st problem: I had to find all this out from my son, not the teachers. 2nd problem: When we complained to the Principal, not once but TWICE, nothing was being done in this "No Tolerance" (which is a policy you have to sign every year) school. 3rd problem: nothing was done until our THIRD meeting with the principal and son's teacher and we threatened, no, PROMISED if something isn't done and the issue does not stop then we will go over their heads and take it to the school board. So far we haven't had any problems this last week and a half, which I am grateful for, just completely upset at the lengths we had to go to, to protect our son. Absolutely ridiculous!

Posted November 18, 2013
I have four children that have been going to Miller since 2008 & have put in enough volunteer hours to see what really goes on behind closed doors. The full three stars goes to the teachers of this school. Being a military school with children rotating in and out all year, plus class sizes of 30-40 (of which, many have learning & behavior issues - with NO extra help/support provided to the teacher), and very little parental involvement, I feel that the teachers are the ones who make the experience tolerable, sometimes at the expense of their own sanity. They are doing their very best with the resources they are given. My biggest concerns are that meal times and recces are mostly unsupervised, with many children being verbally and physically bullied (no staff anywhere to be seen). The times when children tell the supervisors, it's dismissed without any consequence to the bully or notification to either parent. Behavior issues need to be taken much more serious than they currently are. This boils down to leadership and lack of disciplinary actions enforced when issues arise. Behavioral issues are now taking priority over learning, which is unfair and unfortunate.

Miller Elementary School
4343 Shields Street, San Diego, CA  92124
Last modified Miller Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5
Miller Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 52 reviews. Top