San Diego, CA

Miller Elementary School 5

Posted April 24, 2015
I am a new teacher at Miller Elementary and I have found it to be a very supportive environment. I have never been at a school where the administration is more committed to all students. When a problem arises it is handled in a nurturing and professional manner. We have an amazing counselor who puts forth a lot of effort to teach and ensure a kind environment at our school. I feel very luck to work with such an amazing staff!

Posted April 05, 2015
As a former teacher at this school, I will say this school is by far one of the worst schools I have ever worked for. The support staff and most the teachers were fine in my opinion. This school is filled with children with special needs (at least 1 out of 5 children) with the lack of staff members and classrooms to support all these children's needs. There was allot of bullying going on at this school with the lack of punishment when caught bullying. I defiantly did not agree with how the principal handled certain issues at this school which made me leave this school and find an allot better school in the district of San Diego.

Posted November 20, 2014
i have no problem with teachers but they didn't inform me there would be no gate programs continued this school year. I had transfered my son from another elementary school 2 years ago because miller was providing gate programs. now my son is still there but no gate programs he deserves to get. school failed to inform parents who has children in gate programs in advance, so we didn't have time to check or transfer kids to other gate schools available. And, a lady in the front office is VERY RUDE and not helpful at all.

Posted May 29, 2014
As an active parent in my children's education I like to be involved with teachers principals and office staff. So far in the 8 months my boys have gone to this school I'm very dissatisfied. Office staff is very disrespectful mainly the front office lady she makes me feel like a criminal every time I set foot into the school. My boys are uncomfortable in their classes my youngest was the friendliest and a thrill for other teachers to have in class but in this school he is scolded by his teacher for actions of his classmates that he has nothing to do with he is bullied by kids and every time I go to the office with an issue its swept under the rug. I'm sure these are fine teachers but classes seem to be out of control, more time is spent stopping the entire class to scold one child. The principal does her rounds but I'm not convinced she cares about the well being of these children. She comes across judgmental and unprofessional. Over all I believe the majority of the staff have given up the kids are responding to lack of authority and the parents are walking away because honestly they don't even want to deal with it. This isnt an environment for learning this is a daycare.

Posted January 20, 2014
My child goes to Miller Elementary. I was worried with his school due to having three different teachers within the first few weeks of school, he has now settled in with this last teacher I hope and has gained massive ground. She truly is a great teacher and helpful in all facets of her job. I am not fond of the front office lady, and go out of my way to not interact with her at all, vry nasty attitude she always has. The principal is very nice and friendly, I like seeing her walk the grounds and be available to people and kids a like. The lunch room guards need to be more watchful of the kids than each other, things have happened to my son and when he tries to explain he gets brushed off

Posted November 19, 2013
My son was bullied by the same two kids for the first half of his first grade year. This wasn't just name calling and what not, my son was being hit and kicked and the teachers were witnessing it! 1st problem: I had to find all this out from my son, not the teachers. 2nd problem: When we complained to the Principal, not once but TWICE, nothing was being done in this "No Tolerance" (which is a policy you have to sign every year) school. 3rd problem: nothing was done until our THIRD meeting with the principal and son's teacher and we threatened, no, PROMISED if something isn't done and the issue does not stop then we will go over their heads and take it to the school board. So far we haven't had any problems this last week and a half, which I am grateful for, just completely upset at the lengths we had to go to, to protect our son. Absolutely ridiculous!

Posted November 18, 2013
I have four children that have been going to Miller since 2008 & have put in enough volunteer hours to see what really goes on behind closed doors. The full three stars goes to the teachers of this school. Being a military school with children rotating in and out all year, plus class sizes of 30-40 (of which, many have learning & behavior issues - with NO extra help/support provided to the teacher), and very little parental involvement, I feel that the teachers are the ones who make the experience tolerable, sometimes at the expense of their own sanity. They are doing their very best with the resources they are given. My biggest concerns are that meal times and recces are mostly unsupervised, with many children being verbally and physically bullied (no staff anywhere to be seen). The times when children tell the supervisors, it's dismissed without any consequence to the bully or notification to either parent. Behavior issues need to be taken much more serious than they currently are. This boils down to leadership and lack of disciplinary actions enforced when issues arise. Behavioral issues are now taking priority over learning, which is unfair and unfortunate.

Posted September 08, 2013
My son was bullied 3 times at this school by the same kid. Even after reporting it 3 times and meeting with the principal, nothing was done. We finally pulled my son out of the school. One month after we pulled my son out, one of his old class mates mother contacted us and told us that her son was bullied by the SAME kid. She pulled him out also. In my opinion this school needs to hire a principal that is capable of encouraging an environment where kids are being respected and are safe. Mr. Scott was all talk and no action when it came to my son and apparently his friend. Mrs. Cowell is a sweet teacher and has a genuine love for the kids and what she does, its unfortunate her superior lacks the ability to implement an environment where her hard work pays off.

Posted June 04, 2013
This school is average in terms of academics, but they have the worst approach to bullying imaginable, and it's made my daughter's two years here a nightmare. They claim to be a zero tolerance for bully school, even advertising their "No Place for Hate" campaign. But the reality is very different. My daughter has been bullied throughout the year, and every time she has come home with bruises or claw marks (yes, bleeding claw marks) on her, I bring her back to discuss it and find out that, yes, she told her teacher, and SHE was punished for being a tattle-tale. They have made reporting bullying a punishable act. As a result, my daughter is just as afraid of the bullies in her class as she is getting in trouble for being bullied. This policy doesn't get rid of bullying. It's just another form of victim-bashing, and the teachers at this school should be ashamed of themselves for not only failing to protect the children in their care, but for causing additional emotional harm.

Miller Elementary School 4

Posted April 24, 2013
My children, I have four, have been attending this school for three years and since we are stationed here again, will be continuing for another three years. We have had the opportunity to send them to other schools, as this is a choice district, but liked this school so much that we opted to keep them at Miller. I have heard that the upper levels aren't the best though, we'll see. I see the administration walking the campus daily. Several reasons we have enjoyed this school, other than the great teachers my kids have had, are the extra programs they have designed for kids of deployed parents and after schools tutoring. Parents, you need to understand that this is a year round school, ie a month off for winter break, spring break and summer break. Also, if your child needs to miss a couple days of school due to your spouses deployment, etc., the school offers a contract for your child to make up the work missed on those days. This school is VERY understanding about military life, "short term" single parenthood, its quirks and ever changing lifestyle. The PTA is always looking for help, they are always doing fun things for the kids, ie weekly, monthly, and quarterly.

Miller Elementary School
4343 Shields Street, San Diego, CA  92124
Last modified Miller Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5
Miller Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 44 reviews. Top