Public charter
San Diego, CA

Posted August 26, 2015
I love the Museum School! Every day, I feel lucky that my daughter gets to go to this great school. I love that the curriculum is diverse (in addition to science, math, social studies, and literature, it includes music, sewing, Spanish, and art). And kids are engaged since it focuses on project-based, active learning. The curriculum encourages students to be self-directed learners; creative thinkers; and problem solvers. Not only is there a no-tolerance policy for bullying, the kids really take that policy seriously and look out for their peers. The staff and teachers are amazing and really care about the social emotional development of each child. And staff and teachers always willing to talk about issues and answer questions. Truly, this is an amazing school!

Museum 1

Posted April 26, 2015
Many of the teachers and classes were great. The principal, while a kind man, is ill equipped to deal with bullying issues. My child was bullied so badly we moved to another school with less than 4 months left in the school year. Twice we went to the principal who asked my child for direction on what to do. He then gave a speech on "kindness" to the students (the entire class, not daring to single out specific students). What happened to zero tolerance? What happened to consequences? I'm quite sure the parents of the bullies were never made aware of the extent of their childrens' behaviors. I hope it wasn't because of the generous donations that those parents made, or the fact that the parents and the principal had long-standing friendships outside of school. Whatever the reason, it was a horrible experience I wouldn't wish on anyone. The bottom line is that we left because my child didn't feel safe.

Museum 3

Posted February 28, 2014
The good: Principal and many teachers are passionate about learning and providing arts/music/community outreach opportunities for the students As one parent said to me, "Phil sold us on the school". Small school, one class per grade all the way from K-8. The not so good: There were two very disruptive children in the class who had various behavioral issues. Their parents were lovely and I admire their patience and courage in dealing with their children's specific issues. However, "mainstreaming" these children meant one child popping up and going all around the class playing with various stations. During the times I was in the classroom I could see how much this distracted kids, and seemed to egg others on to act out as well. And this would be the case all the way until 8th grade. My child went from top of the class for reading to the bottom. Not sure what could be done, but I elected to opt for private school and am happy with the turnaround I've seen in learning, behavior, etc.

Posted August 23, 2013
We love Museum School! The principal works tirelessly and genuinely cares about the school and families. The teachers are enthusiastic, creative, and energetic. It is clear that they love their jobs and Museum School.

Posted June 17, 2013
The Museum School is excellent. I would definitely recommend to others. I am grateful for this school.

Posted March 01, 2013
This is a great little school that I would recommend to others. I love that is is so small and community and family based. The principal is a very caring and gentle person. The middle school teachers are awesome and really care about the student's success. This is my daughter's 3rd year at Museum. We love it!

Museum 4

Posted October 20, 2011
This school is all about parent involvement and it is led by a fantastic and caring principal. For the most part it has an amazing staff that is dedicated and caring. It truly is a community school! The only reason that I don't give the school 5 stars is that when it comes to teachers, there are weak links.They care, however due to teaching style or burnout, I don't feel they are the best fit for this school. I would like to see some changes made in a couple of the grades, but I don't think it will happen. Overall, If you are active and involved, overall, it still by far one of San Diego's options.

Posted September 29, 2010
We are so lucky to be a part of this dynamic and engaging school. The community is vibrant and welcoming. The teachers and admin are involved, committed and caring. The curriculum is thoughtful and precise... The children learn by engaging in meaningful activities that make them learn by doing. The incorporated extra activities like tap dance, sewing, and music are phenomenal. We couldn't be happier!

Posted December 02, 2008
2008 is my son's last year at The Museum School... He is at The Museum for almost 3 years and we just have great things to talk about it! It is, so far, the best school/life experience for my son and our family. I am pretty sure that he is very greatful for being there, he talks all the time how lucky he is for being part of the 'Museum family'. It is understood that once you are a Museum School Kid, you are always a Museum School Kid... Adriane

Posted October 27, 2008
I love the Museum School for the following reasons: great student/teacher ratio, small school (one class per grade level), all teachers and admin know each student's name, the teachers want the very best for the students, the school believes in the importance of the arts (sewing classes, art, music, cooking, dance, etc are all offered during the school day), the best kindergarden teacher in all of US, and the school has a pretty diverse student population. I love the energy of the school!

211 Maple Street, San Diego, CA  92103
Last modified Museum is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Museum Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top