Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Don't know (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

Museum 4

Posted June 14, 2016
Of all the positive things I could say about the Museum School, the most amazing thing to me is the depth of knowledge my children posess. I attribute this to the project-based teaching style that encourages students to truly learn and understand topics (rather than reciting a list of facts).

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted June 14, 2016
Most of the teachers at the Museum School are passionate about their subjects and students.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted June 14, 2016
It's a long school day that ends at 4 pm. So while there is not a lot of homework, I appreciate that as there is not much time after school for homework between extra-curricular activities, family time, and dinner.

Develops grit: Agree

Posted June 14, 2016
Most staff have high expectations of their students and foster a culture of striving to be and do your best.

Develops empathy: Agree

Posted June 14, 2016
Administrators and staff encourage open dialogue and use a variety of forums to promote compassion, caring and empathy. One example are talking circles led by the Director.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 14, 2016
The school's “Community Goals” teach children to be responsible citizens, productive workers, creative healthy individuals, problem solvers and self-directed learners.

Museum 5

Posted April 02, 2016
Amazing school! Diverse curriculum, enthusiastic teachers, and involved school community. My children are receiving the equivalent of a private school education at the Museum School. Art, Music (Eastern and Western), Kitchen Science, Drama, Spanish are just a few of the "extras" that many public schools aren't able to offer any more. We love the Museum School!

Museum 5

Posted August 26, 2015
I love the Museum School! Every day, I feel lucky that my daughter gets to go to this great school. I love that the curriculum is diverse (in addition to science, math, social studies, and literature, it includes music, sewing, Spanish, and art). And kids are engaged since it focuses on project-based, active learning. The curriculum encourages students to be self-directed learners; creative thinkers; and problem solvers. Not only is there a no-tolerance policy for bullying, the kids really take that policy seriously and look out for their peers. The staff and teachers are amazing and really care about the social emotional development of each child. And staff and teachers always willing to talk about issues and answer questions. Truly, this is an amazing school!

Museum 1

Posted April 26, 2015
Many of the teachers and classes were great. The principal, while a kind man, is ill equipped to deal with bullying issues. My child was bullied so badly we moved to another school with less than 4 months left in the school year. Twice we went to the principal who asked my child for direction on what to do. He then gave a speech on "kindness" to the students (the entire class, not daring to single out specific students). What happened to zero tolerance? What happened to consequences? I'm quite sure the parents of the bullies were never made aware of the extent of their childrens' behaviors. I hope it wasn't because of the generous donations that those parents made, or the fact that the parents and the principal had long-standing friendships outside of school. Whatever the reason, it was a horrible experience I wouldn't wish on anyone. The bottom line is that we left because my child didn't feel safe.

Museum 3

Posted February 28, 2014
The good: Principal and many teachers are passionate about learning and providing arts/music/community outreach opportunities for the students As one parent said to me, "Phil sold us on the school". Small school, one class per grade all the way from K-8. The not so good: There were two very disruptive children in the class who had various behavioral issues. Their parents were lovely and I admire their patience and courage in dealing with their children's specific issues. However, "mainstreaming" these children meant one child popping up and going all around the class playing with various stations. During the times I was in the classroom I could see how much this distracted kids, and seemed to egg others on to act out as well. And this would be the case all the way until 8th grade. My child went from top of the class for reading to the bottom. Not sure what could be done, but I elected to opt for private school and am happy with the turnaround I've seen in learning, behavior, etc.

211 Maple Street, San Diego, CA  92103-6527
Last modified Museum is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.