Posted July 26, 2013
I have to agree that the security issues are a real problem at this school. It is a known problem that because they are connected to a park and rec field those gates at the back of the school are never locked. It isn't the worst school in the world by any means but there are several other public schools in the area that by comparison are hands down better academically and a lot friendly. While it's true that OBE has an art curriculum it isn't as great as everyone says. One of the most disconcerting things was that at the end of the year several parents were notified that their students art would be on public display at a local bank and that they would like the students to come check it out. That sounded great but the entire thing was a ploy to try to get new accounts which has no place in my kids school. Totally not impressed.

Posted July 25, 2013
Ocean Beach Elementary has huge issues that need to be addressed especially regarding the children's safety. I have lived in Ocean Beach for 20 years and it is my neighborhood school. It is on a main street and there are rarely any crossing guards. Many drivers in OB do not yield to children and me and my children have almost been hit on at least 2 occasions. Also they don't lock the front gate so really anyone can walk in as there is no security and no one monitoring who goes in and out. You're supposed to sign in but no one really does. I wrote a review about the safety issues that clearly needed to be taken care of and my review was removed. I understand parents have passion for this elementary and yes, some teachers are really good but not all. There are a few that really should not be teaching but are tenured and as you know, tenured teachers are hard to get rid of. I could never understand why there was a library at the school that we had bought many books for in the past (bookfairs) but it was closed for an entire year because they couldn't afford a librarian. The PTA is very unfriendly. Do your homework before choosing this school!!!!!

Posted July 21, 2013
OB has been an awesome school for my 3 children! I have been there to see OB grow stronger for the past 8 years and would recommend OB as one of the best schools anywhere. There is a joy of learning and a real feel of community. The arts program is fantastic! We will miss our retiring principal but will be right there to support the new one. We were very picky when we toured and researched schools and found OB to have the strongest staff anywhere around.The majority of the teachers are fantastic and if you really know them well, it has NOTHING to do with age. It's about passion and knowledge. Just like in most schools, there are a few teachers that could jazz it up. If there is a problem go see the principal or put it in writing so it can be addressed. Get very involved in the classroom and with events, and don't be afraid to speak up when you have a concern. It's Ocean Beach!

Posted June 25, 2013
adly, with the Principal leaving, I think this school is going to go downhill fast. There are some fantastic parents who work very hard to keep that school up to par but with no library and burned-out teachers (who have taught there 20 plus years) who hate their jobs, I think this school will be back down to a 1 star in the very near future. I will say that there are some fantastic teachers who are younger and have taught there for maybe 5 years or less but their passion and love of teaching is always squelched by the big mama tenured teachers who have been there 20 plus years. There is a definite dichotomy of wonderful, newer teachers vs. the burned out older teachers and nothing really in between. The older, burned out teachers are more like dictators as they like to have the children be seen and not heard. I suggest if you go to this school and this is your experience that you do everything you can to get your child into a healthy classroom with a teacher who has a zest for teaching. It will make all the difference in your child's test scores and overall attitude and aptitude. Unhappy kids in an unhealthy classroom is not a good combination.

Ocean Beach Elementary School 4

Posted May 16, 2013
My daughter's school has been excellent for my daughter. The staff, teachers and children are amazing. The principal really gets involved.

Posted April 29, 2013
It would be hard to imagine a more wonderful school that OBE. A diverse and accepting community, strong academics, one of the best (if not THE best) arts program in the district, and an awesome and supportive group of teachers. It's an incredible place with incredible people. My family just attended the annual fundraiser for the arts last weekend. It was so much fun! I volunteered, along with tons more people, and it was a great experience. Kids hip hop danced, there was an auction, along with the funniest performers we'd ever seen All this raised money to keep the arts going strong. So glad to have two more years at this amazing place!

Ocean Beach Elementary School 2

Posted April 28, 2013
Some good teachers, not a very friendly staff or PTA though. They really sell themselves short. Their fundraising goals are about a tenth of the other schools in the area. They turn down donations and community involvement and they don't tell you what the money will be used for. They could be a really great school they just don't expect much from the students, the staff or themselves.

Posted February 25, 2013
What a great community beach school with a strong focus on creativity and art! Teachers and principal are enthusiastic, creative, and caring and are eager to help all students learn and become problem solvers. The staff has high expectations for student learning and teachers genuinely plan curriculum together. There is an emphasis on monthly character themes and children work and play together well. Many parents, volunteers, and university students are active in the classrooms. There's a wonderful positive vibe on this campus where everyone is made to feel an important part of their school.

Posted November 09, 2012
We Love OB Elementary! The teachers are wonderful and they care about the children. Whenever I have a concern about my child's academics the teacher is always on top of things giving helpful suggestions to help my child excel and be the best student he can be.

Posted September 13, 2011
This school has a truly dedicated teaching staff, a tireless principal, and a wonderfully committed community of parent support. The deep dedication to the development of the whole person at OBE is a rare and a wonderful thing to experience in these days where test scores are seen as the "all" of education...and they are good at that too! My sons have thrived at this school! Our family had a choice. We are delighted to have chosen Ocean Beach Elementary.

Ocean Beach Elementary School
4741 Santa Monica Avenue, San Diego, CA  92107
Last modified Ocean Beach Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ocean Beach Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top