Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)

My son will be starting his 4th year at OB elementary at the end of August. We had high hopes when we moved to town, and the staff managed to exceed them. The biggest reason to love this school is because of the staff, I have yet to meet a staff that as a whole, perpetuates a culture of learning, and community with genuine caring and commitment to their jobs. Each teacher my son has had, has exhibited a love and aptitude for their job. pushing the students constructively to achieve their goals in a safe, nurturing environment. Theres always a special project, school event, extra curricular activity or field trip on the horizon. Through my sons IEP, we meet regularly with the principal, counselor, teachers, psychologist, occupational therapist, and aides.. They have patiently helped to guide us through the complicated waters of an IEP. Through which we genuinely felt they had his well being and best interest in mind. Its never a short cut or a brush off. Its sincere attention and time spent answering many many questions from concerned parents (me). The principal has adressed every concern and question with personnal attention while showing a trust and appreciation for his staff. In short, theyre making magic at OB elementary. From the student garden, to the dragon parade downtown and everything inbetween my son has blossomed academically and socially into a respectful, well spoken individual with goals, and confidence.. Ive read a few bad reviews on this site, from folks I genuinely believe have their expectations out of sync. We have truely seen other terrible schools and dealt with sub par principles and staffs. We struck gold here. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Ocean Beach Elementary is an amazing school. It's a place where teachers want to work and where neighborhood parents want to send their kids. OB Elementary is a California distinguished school, and the fourth-graders over the 2014–15 school year came in 10th in the district in their English Language Arts scores on the new Smarter Balanced tests! The arts program is the best in our cluster, with visiting artists coming to us from Young Audiences, a nonprofit organization with over 60 years experience of working with kids and the arts in San Diego. Ocean Beach Elementary is a very environmentally conscious school with a Zero Waste lunch program, community garden and composting! It's all due in part to our parents, staff and students. The community of Ocean Beach is very involved, supporting our school through fundraisers and partnerships. We have a very active parent community, contributing their talents such as science, music, arts, and other experience. Ocean Beach Elementary is a safe school, where I felt comfortable sending my child for five years, with another set to move on to middle school in two more years. OB Elementary is a true neighborhood school, nestled in an eclectic and beautiful community.

My Daughter has been attending OBE since Kindergarten, and we couldn't be happier with the school. All of the teachers really care about the students, and the art and music program is awesome.

Develops character: Strongly agree

They teach the kids how to admit their wrong doing and make amends and how to accepts responsibility.

My daughter completed Kindergarten and she had "the strictest teacher" in the school Mrs. Silva Flores. My daughter excelled at this school in so many ways from maturity to academics. She made a complete 180 from Sept-June, she went from a non reader to a child who could read level 3 books. My daughter loved her teacher, she loved her class and had lots of friends. We had small bully incident towards the middle of the year but after I contacted the office and had a meeting with the counselor and everything was resolved, the boy stopped messing with her. She took Spanish class and was sad when it was over. The gates except for 1 which is closest to the office are all locked from school start till the bell rings at the end. I loved how she had older classes "learning buddies" visit her class a different one each time. It made it that the younger kids had friends in older classes. All in all I loved this school and if we didn't have to move she would be starting 1st grade there. Thank you OBE!

The recent posts do not tell the full story. OB Elementary is an outstanding primary school. The teachers are exemplary, the quality of instruction is superior, and the community support is profound. The school is a CALIFORNIA DISTINGUISHED SCHOOL and ARTS ACHIEVEMENT SCHOOL for good cause. The has become the school of choice by those in the neighborhood (and there is school choice in this District) is its own testimony. The teachers are truly responsive and know your child. As for the security concerns, the school is now completely gated. Entrances and gates are locked at the close of the morning open air assembly where parents are encouraged to be present, not just drop their kids off. Each classroom door is now equipped with a "lockdown" easy lock. A new crosswalk was placed in and volunteer parent safety guards are there DAILY. The reality is that Ocean Beach Elementary is confronted by many urban realities and prevails with rich diversity, wonderful community spirit, and true dedication to excellence. As with the previous posts, please do your homework and you will find that OB Elementary reflects the best in public education.

I have to agree that the security issues are a real problem at this school. It is a known problem that because they are connected to a park and rec field those gates at the back of the school are never locked. It isn't the worst school in the world by any means but there are several other public schools in the area that by comparison are hands down better academically and a lot friendly. While it's true that OBE has an art curriculum it isn't as great as everyone says. One of the most disconcerting things was that at the end of the year several parents were notified that their students art would be on public display at a local bank and that they would like the students to come check it out. That sounded great but the entire thing was a ploy to try to get new accounts which has no place in my kids school. Totally not impressed.

OB has been an awesome school for my 3 children! I have been there to see OB grow stronger for the past 8 years and would recommend OB as one of the best schools anywhere. There is a joy of learning and a real feel of community. The arts program is fantastic! We will miss our retiring principal but will be right there to support the new one. We were very picky when we toured and researched schools and found OB to have the strongest staff anywhere around.The majority of the teachers are fantastic and if you really know them well, it has NOTHING to do with age. It's about passion and knowledge. Just like in most schools, there are a few teachers that could jazz it up. If there is a problem go see the principal or put it in writing so it can be addressed. Get very involved in the classroom and with events, and don't be afraid to speak up when you have a concern. It's Ocean Beach!

adly, with the Principal leaving, I think this school is going to go downhill fast. There are some fantastic parents who work very hard to keep that school up to par but with no library and burned-out teachers (who have taught there 20 plus years) who hate their jobs, I think this school will be back down to a 1 star in the very near future. I will say that there are some fantastic teachers who are younger and have taught there for maybe 5 years or less but their passion and love of teaching is always squelched by the big mama tenured teachers who have been there 20 plus years. There is a definite dichotomy of wonderful, newer teachers vs. the burned out older teachers and nothing really in between. The older, burned out teachers are more like dictators as they like to have the children be seen and not heard. I suggest if you go to this school and this is your experience that you do everything you can to get your child into a healthy classroom with a teacher who has a zest for teaching. It will make all the difference in your child's test scores and overall attitude and aptitude. Unhappy kids in an unhealthy classroom is not a good combination.

My daughter's school has been excellent for my daughter. The staff, teachers and children are amazing. The principal really gets involved.

Last modified Ocean Beach Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.