Pacific Beach Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 673 students

We are best known for IB Middle Years Programme.

Living in San Diego

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $479,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,470.

Posted April 4, 2014

This is my son's first year at MBHS. So far, he has been very pleased with his experience. The teachers are very supportive and approachable and are very responsive to email. We had one issue that was dealt with quickly. I like that the IB curriculum is challenging and promotes global thinking. I like that it is a smaller high school with many opportunities to succeed in whatever interests a student. Socially, my son is very comfortable there. It is a diverse population and the students are very supportive and encourage each other to succeed. I would recommend this high school if you are looking for a smaller, more personable environment, that is a diverse, real world experience where the student can be responsible for his/her own success.

Posted March 1, 2014

This is our first year here and my 7th grade daughter loves it. The staff are great and very easy to communicate with. Any kind of bully that happens is dealt with immediately! I love that they have an IB program and sports facilities! Very happy with this school. The staff is very involved with school programs. Tutoring twice a week.

Posted February 22, 2014

My child loves it so far. This is our first year. The workload is fair.

Posted January 20, 2014

Daughter has been there for 2 years has had a few run inns with a few students since last year they have been pulling the race card on her for being a white girl threatening to beat her rear end for some time now so last week the two girls corner my daughter mind you my daughter is on honor roll and in sports pretty well rounded kid not saying she is perfect but as a parent you know what I mean so the girl starts getting violent shucking my daughter while the other girl taunts her I have always taught my daughter that fighting is not the answer but when being picked on or bullied and especially the big one for me is they put there hands on you you have fill right to defend yourselfe with any means so after the girl kept shuving my daughter my daughter snapped and beat her rear end and for defending herselfe gets expelled out of school seriously it made me sick to my stomach I guess what we have learns threw all this is if you're kid gets bullied and they finally fight back at pbms not only if they don't run away like a coward and finally fight back they will be suspended

Posted November 5, 2013

Both of my children attend Pacific Beach Middle. We love it there and we could not ask for a better education! Both of my children attended a private school before attending PBM and the education and academic opportunities they have at PBM far outstrip what they could receive in private school. Parent involvement has vastly increased over the past 2 years I have been at the school. You can see a visible change all throughout the campus and new activities that are taking place. So happy to be part of this neighborhood school!

Posted October 27, 2013

Our family loves Pacific Beach Middle School! Our son is in his 3rd year there as an 8th grader and our daughter is in 6th grade. The IB program is amazing and provides more in depth learning plus helping my kids to be motivated learners. The teachers really seem to care and show pride in the school. What my kids love most are the organized lunch sports leagues that keep them active during the lunch break and the afterschool sports offered. We are so thankful for the opportunities at PBMS.

Posted August 6, 2013

I have been with this school for a year now and it has been a great expieeence. Our scores have gone up very much and I'm proud to say I went there. There are many great activities and projects to work on. It keeps you busy and exited. I think the school can approve of helping bulling, like the teacher said because students are under enough stress as it is to get things done and when they are trying to get things done but, they are thinking of the insident. so, thier not 100% focused which makes thier grades go down. Plus they don't want to remember that school as the place where they got Bullied, they want to think of it as a fun and exiting place to be.

Posted July 12, 2013

I, like many people in PB, was concerned to send my kids to the local middle and high school because of the long standing poor reputation. Along with most of his class, I decided to send him there. He's been here for 2 years and is doing great! He's an honor student and is thriving. We have attended the open houses and met all his teachers and they seem to geniuinely care about students and are enthusiastic about being there. Everyone was approachable and friendly.

Posted May 30, 2012

While this school may show satisfactory performance on standardized testing, administration (the principal, specifically) does little to nothing to protect its students from bullying. The bullied are blamed and the horrific acts are brushed under the rug. When the bullied child's grades drop because he/she is depressed and giving up in school, this is taken into account to the child's detriment when bullying concerns are brought up by parents. I am glad my children do not attend PB Middle School, and I would not recommend it to anyone whose child may be bullied. If your child is a bully, don't worry. They won't get a consequence- Sincerely, A special education teacher
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 30, 2012

I work with children professionally & am a mother. PBMS is hands down, by far, the WORST school I have ever seen. Some of the teachers have already received their pink slips & have a apathetic, cavalier attitude. The administration is uncaring, unconcerned, and shockingly pompous for individuals who have chosen this as their career, yet are doing such a poor job. The principal doesn't even have a working voicemail. Bullying is rampant, racism is real and omnipresent, yet apathy and helplessness is embedded in the PBMS culture. If you're the type of parent that barely slows their car when dropping off their child in the morning, this school will be great. It looks ok on the surface, and maybe your child will get lucky. God knows if you send out an email to your child's teacher, you wont be bothered by one in return. But if you are an involved, concerned parent, RUN AS FAST AND AS FAR AWAY AS YOU CAN. As far as Dr. Martel, the principal? She is a prime example of what happens as bullies age...mean, patronizing, duplicitous, and unable to accept or acknowledge fault...thus, a large part of why PBMS is the way it is. Children everywhere will be better off for her retirement.

Posted October 12, 2011

As a student, I know what PBMS is really like. This is my second year at PBMS, and I am loving it. The teachers are not so strict as to punish every little flaw and scare students. They do not let kids run wild either. Some people do not like the fact that the school is about mostly Spanish-speaking, but I think it is good to play and learn with other cultures. I have even learned a few words from them, mostly about soccer. The International Baccalaureate program is fantastic because we learn about the whole world and what is happening in it. If we know the current problems, wars, and politics of the world, we can turn those situations around in the near future. We are, after all, the voting citizens of the United States in a few years. This school is equally devoted to the teaching of both boys and girls, and there is no racist problem either. Once again, I love PBMS and I highly recommend this school.

Posted January 2, 2011

If you are considering this school for your children watch out. One in seven students is on an IEP plan. This means that the PBMS administration identifies one in seven students as having a learning disability. The administration aggressively pushes these special education programs to students who are not performing well without explaining the drawbacks of the program or other alternatives to parents. Minorities are overrepresented in these programs. Also, once your child is on an IEP plan, only the team can decide when the IEP plan is no longer needed. What are the benefits to this school to have so many IEP students? Does the school receive special funding for these students? Are IEP students test scores considered a special category so they don't affect overall test scores for the school? Statistically, what is the number of hispanic students that attend vs. the number that are identified as having a learning disability? What is the number of students nationally that are identified as having a learning disability vs. the one in seven rate at PBMS? These are questions every parent should ask if they are asked to participate in an IEP meeting.

Posted December 3, 2010

As a parent of three boys who have either attended or are currently attending PBMS, I couldn't be more happy with the educational rigor, opportunities for personal growth & phenominal staff at the school. All three of my boys work hard and have consistently achieved outstanding grades. The physical education program is superb as well, which for my active boys was the perfect balance to the educational challenge. The Spanish language and band options provide additional enrichment. I would recommend this school for any SD student!

Posted July 28, 2010

The secret issue with PB Middle is that their system is set up for girls, so the majority of boys don't get good grades. Even boys with good state test scores don't get good grades. A couple years ago, some parents figured out that only about 15 of the 95 7th grade boys could get a B or better, yet over 50 of these boys scored high on the state test. Reportedly, these numbers got worse last year. PBMS could be a great school if they would address it.

Posted June 15, 2010

PB middle has consistently exceeded my expectations. My student has spent the last two years at the school and we wouldn't think of going anywhere else. The staff is amazing, teachers and administration alike. Almost every teacher my student has had has been incredible and gone above and beyond. They all are very good at parent communication, I usually get an email back the same day I send one. The IB program and the extra clubs and activities offered are great. Its wonderful to see that even with all the state cuts, that the staff and active parent community has found a way to keep these going. I am so happy my student has had the oppurtunity to attend here. We had no idea when he started 6th grade that it would be such a positive experience.

Posted June 9, 2010

My daughter started her 1st year this year and had an absolute wonderful transition for 5th to 6th grade. Her teachers are so amazing...they are full of inspiration and support. The positive reward systems that are in each class and throughout the whole school continue to keep my daughter motivated. All the parent involvement and cooperation from the staff to start new programs, go on field trips, create clubs etc. are a huge reason my daughter loves her school. I want to Thank all the staff and the parent volunteers who make this such a well rounded school!!!!!! GO PBMS!!!

Posted June 7, 2010

My daughter started at a different middle school in 6th grade and hated it. PBMS is a wonderful school with excellent academics. We really like the uniforms. The students have a feeling of a small school environment because the way things are setup. It is a very challenging school.

Posted June 6, 2010

My son has had a great 3 years of middle school, through the support of the IB standards. He can think in a more advanced manner than I didn't learn until college years. What a terrific experience it has been!

Posted June 6, 2010

We have a son attending now and another that has graduated. We are particularly impressed with the IB programme, along with some of the truly outstanding teachers at this school. Big kudos to the principal, Julie Martels, and to Mr. G!

Posted June 5, 2010

My daughter has excelled at this school since the day she began 6th grade. She has now been honored for the third year in a row with the National Junior Honor Roll Society award. Her teachers go above and beyond with their caring, concern and teaching methods to make sure that all students can do their best. I am thankful we sent our daughter here and happy that my son will be attending in another year. The staff here can't be beat.

This school's

(2012)

7 / 10

6 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

7 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

6 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

173 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

174 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

30 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

184 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

158 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

110 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

211 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

70 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

223 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

214 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students68%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)67%
Parent education - college graduate68%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate77%
Parent education - declined to state38%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students16%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Nurse(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Chinese (Mandarin)
Japanese
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Spotlight School for California Association of IB World Schools (2009)
  • Home of 3 CA IB Middle Years Educators of the Year (2012)
  • CA Coach of the Year (2012)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Multiple disabilities
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Garden/Greenhouse
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Accelerated credit learning
  • Gifted / high performing
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Acceleration

School start time
  • 7:25 am
School end time
  • 2:10 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Principal Ernie Remillard
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • eremillard@sandi.net
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (858) 270-8063

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Accelerated credit learning
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Inquiry-based
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • Project-based
  • STEM
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Foreign languages
  • Global
  • Service learning
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Tutoring
Transportation options
  • Accessible via public transportation
  • Trans. for VEEP & SpEd only
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Access to sports fields
  • Audiovisual aids
  • Auditorium
  • Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Outdoor learning lab
  • Performance stage
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

Media arts
  • Technical design and production
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Bookfair
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer time after school