San Diego, CA
Before care: Yes

Pershing Middle School 5

Posted November 05, 2014
I absolutely love Pershing! The teachers and office staff consistently communicate effectively and keep me up to date with my child's education. The school promotes modern technology use with students and parents through class work, homework, notifications and grades. I also appreciate how Mrs. Levy (the principal) is never too busy to help. Thanks Pershing!!!

Posted September 24, 2014
My daughter loves her teachers and the music program offered here at Pershing. This is her second year and I am pleased with her academic progress. Communication between teachers and home needs improvement. Teacher websites are often not updated and I have to rely on my student for information- good thing she is trustworthy!

Pershing Middle School 1

Posted July 10, 2014
This place is horrible. Many of the staff are bullies to the students. They over complicate things that should be common knowledge and there is no accountability for many of the teachers. Do yourself & your kid a favor by going to a different school.

Pershing Middle School 1

Posted June 04, 2014
Sending my child here was the biggest mistake I ever made. After being at least average in every subject and advanced in a couple from K-7th grade, he started to have more issues with focus and getting work done once he started at Pershing in 8th grade.. Though the teachers contacted me to let me know that his work/lack there of was not going to earn him a passing grade, all but one were unresponsive when I left messages and sent emails to try to get on the same page to solve the problem. A couple of weeks ago, I got the final progress report of the year. My child failed 3 out of 6 classes and will not be allowed to go on the 8th grade field trip, nor participate in the promotion. However, he WILL be moved along to high school!?! What a sad state our educational system is in

Pershing Middle School 5

Posted April 13, 2014
Great school with great kids! I visited there for the school's 50th anniversary and it was even more wonderful than when I attended in the 70s. Beautiful big library, grass playfield, iPads for students and a great, caring staff.

Pershing Middle School 2

Posted February 18, 2014
Pershing middle needs a complete overhaul. Not all, but most of the teachers have gotten to comfortable and therefore lazy. Following through with educational plans and accommodations seems to be challenging for many of them. Luckily my daughter is very self sufficient and seems to be doing well despite them. She finds the counselors cold and detached from the plight of navigating others behavioral issues. She states (and I agree), that all the note taking and grades based on notes makes her feel like a court reporter. She is great at taking notes now, yet if you ask her what she learned about that days topic all she can do is repeat the notes. No actual learning is occuring. Next year is her 7th grade year and she will be switching schools.

Posted January 12, 2014
I have been very pleased with Pershing thus far. My son is challenged, loves his teachers, and is thrilled about his experiences in the pre-engineering program. The teachers, many of which have been at Pershing for over a decade, are dedicated, supportive, and understanding. I also appreciate that my son has an adequate, but not overwhelming amount of homework. While challenged, he still has enough time to be involved in extracurricular activities without being overwhelmed.

Pershing Middle School 3

Posted January 05, 2014
Overall I am pleased with Pershing Middle School. I was told there was a zero tolerance for bullying and yet my son has been bullied several times. I have gone to the counselors and school office many times and still no changes are made. Other than that, Pershing has great educational opportunities with band, P.E., 6th grade camp and musicals which I think is great to get involved in a school whether it be a parent or child. This year my son has been doing alot better in his classes despite the bullying. I think stronger rules need to be in place.

Pershing Middle School 3

Posted October 18, 2013
I love this school. Two of my children attended Pershing, and I'm hoping my third will have the chance. Unfortunately, the new administration (namely the new principal) is ruining what used to be an amazing educational experience. She has taken away the block schedule, drama, and doesn't listen to parent input. I hope she sees the light and adjusts to the needs of our community.

Posted July 16, 2011
Pershing was our first foray into public school in San Diego Unified, and we were pleased and impressed, especially given the critical budget issues facing the schools. The principal is passionate about the school and does an excellent job of communicating with parents. Our daughter, an A student, was challenged and engaged in all of her classes. The band program was especially helpful in that it enabled her to find a small group of like-minded students that helped her get comfortable at school. Yes, student behavior is a little different if you come from a private school environment, but kids are engaged and learning. The block schedule is great. We recommend this school.

Pershing Middle School
8204 San Carlos Drive, San Diego, CA  92119
Last modified Pershing Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Pershing Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top