Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)

Roosevelt IB Middle School is the Worse School you can choose!!!! I had two children in this nightmare school. Teachers have lack or poor expectations for students. The High rates of teacher absenteeism makes inconsistent and underuse the teaching. The Administration lacks of interest in work in collaboration with parents. They really make you feel unwelcome. Principal Casillas lack of experience in IB program. Last Principal Cabello and IB Coordinator left school without notice to parents. This is a very unstable school. I am very happy to move my children to a charter from this nightmare school. Plus, the academic performance by the floors.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

Some are amazing, others not so much, again, like the real world. But the ones that have inspired my daughter or "blew her mind" with a history project she loved, really make a positive mark.

My 8th grader has enjoyed her 3 years here and has had some really wonderful teachers. It's a large school with a very diverse population and I think she enjoys that experience. The after-school program supported by the YMCA staff and PTSA funds has a lot of options. As a parent, I'm excited about our new principal and the increased engagement with both teachers and parents I've seen. I heard from a teacher last night that he's really enjoying an improvement in the culture among the teachers and collaboration since Dr. Casillas has become principal. I do wish more parents would get involved in their students' education through PTSA and school activities.

My 6th grader is engaged and excited about the projects he is working on. All of the teachers are good, but a few are extraordinary, the kind of teachers you remember for a lifetime. It is a positive and challenging learning environment, the kids are supportive of each other. The after school clubs offer good opportunities to engage with engineering and arts.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

My son is learning so much from all his teachers! It's actually how impressive how effective the teachers are, considering the classes can be more than 30 kids. These teachers are good!

Amount of homework: Agree

I was worried about homework, but my son really doesn't have too much. There is some almost every day, but never too much, at most 1 hr on a heavy day. The math teacher occasionally gives math problems for homework, but the daily homework is a "math reflection:" what did we learn today with 2 examples.

My son comes home every day excited about what he has learned. His teachers are invested and know how to keep the students engaged. It is easy to contact the teachers if there are any issues. This year we have a new principal who is responsive to student and parent needs, and sends out weekly reminders of school events.

My daughter is in 6th grade and so far we LOVE it. As a parent, I was very anxious about the transition from elementary to middle school but we have not had any issues, nor have I heard of any from other parents. All of the kids seem kind and respectful of one another. The teachers are great and really challenge my daughter to do her best. She comes home every day excited about something she learned in class, including P.E.! We came from an IB elementary school and feel that Roosevelt is doing an excellent job with the program. The location is amazing. We love that it is right next to the zoo. I think the parking/pick-up/drop-off situation is a little difficult because of that but definitely manageable. We appreciate that the principal keeps us informed weekly of school news and updates.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The IB program at the school integrates these principals into the curriculum for all the classes.

My son is in 6th grade and so far his experience has been great! He loves his teachers (especially French & English), who have been easy to contact (if necessary) and are providing a challenging and fun learning environment. The after school activities are diverse and provide a lot of opportunity for the students to pursue various interests. There are some amazing collaborations with the Balboa Park museums and Zoo, which will hopefully expand over the years. He has never felt unsafe at the school. The school provides for an incredibly diverse student body that, I believe, enriches the school experience for my son. The new principal (Fall 2015 is her first year) has been very attentive to hearing about issues from parents (monthly coffee/tea meetings), and is really trying to make the school a better place. One criticism is the buildings are old and could use upgrades, but you can't beat the location - next to the amazing Balboa Park and Zoo! The joint use park built a couple of years ago is a great addition to the campus.

Last modified Roosevelt International Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.