San Diego, CA
Students enrolled: 1,368

San Diego Scpa School 2

Posted October 20, 2014
My son goes to the high school. He auditioned to get in. I am seriously considering taking him out. First off, it's way overcrowded. On parent teacher day I was horrified to see in my son's art class there were so many students that there were not enough seats for all of them. About a dozen kids literally had to stand in the back. Second, I've called on a few occasions and left message, once to my son'e counselor and another to front staff, and not ONCE have I received a call back from staff. My son has ADHD but tested into gate, but I see he is falling through the cracks more. Unless your child can fend for himself without a seat or attentive staff, then they too will fall through the cracks.

San Diego Scpa School 3

Posted October 20, 2014
The campus is very nice, has a college feel. The office staff very friendly. My only concern about SCPA is that when I compared different middle school and high school API scores within the last 5 yrs in Southeast San Diego, Paradise Hils and South Bay, so many scored a lot higher than SCPA! I compared all of them with SCPA (last 5 yrs) and I was disapponited. SCPA has excellent Language scores, but their chemistry, math, science, biology, physics and algebra scores were really bad compared to other SDUSD middle and high schools. I couldn't believer that. Sure, your child is getting exposure to the arts (singing, performing, music etc...) quite a benefit, but unless your child (or you) really expect your child to become a professional actor or musician, is it worth such low scores in all other academic areas? My kids want to be doctors and engineers. SCPA's arts program was appealing, but in the end it was jointly decided that they needed a school with strong math and science scores. They now go to another school on University Ave that has EXCELLENT math & science scores. In the long run we feel that will benefit their long term career goals and we're happy with the decision.

Posted June 08, 2014
If I could rate this school I'll do it with zero, my daughter had the most horrible time there, she was victim of bullying there. If your are thinking to send your children there think twice, they have wonderful artistic teachers but have the worst criteria to act to protect the students. I am not the first parent to have to remove my child from SCPA as a result of inaction about bullying. SCPA throwing away a talented, har working student and protect people that does not deserve this privilege . I will never recommend SCPA. I could not do it in good conscience.

San Diego Scpa School 4

Posted June 07, 2014
I can now say retrospectively that SCPA is a very good school. As a parent, having seen firsthand, my children experience other SD city schools and now appreciating what SCPA has to offer.

Posted May 05, 2014
This school is terrible. My son went there. Most of the children are mean and cruel, in the middle school. The high school might be good, but the middle school is terrible. The teachers act like they do not have enough time for there students, they just make them do busy work all day, without even paying attention, students are on they're phones. They do not deal with issues well. They waited over 3 months to deal with a threat issue with my son. They need to hire new vice principals. Honestly TERRIBLE. They are not well trained. They did not even solve the problem with my son. Terrible school. I wish I could rate it ZERO STARS.

Posted October 11, 2013
My is school is Scpa. Scpa is the best public art school in San Diego. It's my choice. Any person how like arts should go there.

Posted October 09, 2013
My son is having the time of his life in this school, the aArt programs are soo interesting. I am also happy with how good they are with their school report card.

Posted July 27, 2013
I went here for 6th and 7th grade and i did not like it . the teachers are rude and they don't care about the students. they are always sitting on there laptops complaing how we don't listen. they don't interact with the children what so every. they expect us to get what they teach . then when they give us the test the stuff on there is not what we learned. I would not recommend this school to anybody because they don't give the students the help they needed. And the teachers give referrals for walking to class

Posted May 10, 2013
This school is so awesome. I'm glad that I am attending this school. There are the kindest people at this school.

San Diego Scpa School 3

Posted April 10, 2012
My daughter has attended SCPA since 6th grade. While she enjoyed it, I think they could have done a bit more for the Jr. High kids with getting them ready for 8th grade auditions. I asked about this from the day she set foot on the campus. Now in 8th grade, and having not passed the audition to the High School part, I fee this school did little to help me prepare my child for the high school auditions. Not to mention in the middle of the first 6 weeks of school they "cold" transferred her 3 times in one week without warning due to "budget cuts." However after research API score and such for high school, I finally got my daughter to be comfortable with not attending SCPA High School next year. I am sending her to more traditional High school setting and I told her she will thank me later! In regards to the previous poster's concerned about the misbehaving students. Yes I agree, however it's not necessarily the school's fault but is moreso the parents of those student's fault!!

San Diego Scpa School
2425 Dusk Drive, San Diego, CA  92139
Last modified San Diego Scpa School is a Public school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
San Diego Scpa School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 233 reviews. Top