San Diego, CA
Students enrolled: 1,368

San Diego Scpa School
Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted October 05, 2015
I agree with previous posts about low math expectations at this school. My son struggled a lot with the math in middle school. The math teachers at SCPA definitely need to step it up a notch and I don't say that maliciously, but for the better of the school and the students. A few days ago I was reviewing the new test scores and updated rankings for last year's school year (they just came out) and the math comprehension scores across the board were really low for SCPA (and have been for quite some time if you check recent years back). It then made sense to me why my son was struggling. It's not just him. Collectively as a school, the students are under performing in mathematics at SCPA. When you have other middle schools and high schools in South East San Diego and the South Bay scoring a lot higher than your school, time to make that a priority. Yes, students like the arts and it's fun but fun isn't going to cut it when they graduate and move on to universities. It has concerned me enough that I'm pulling my son out next year so he can attend a high school that has better scores in mathematics because I know in the long run it will help him in his career, not song and dance. That would be my only complaint about SCPA (our experience) and hope the school seriously make those changes for future students.

San Diego Scpa School 3

Posted September 10, 2015
I've been concerned about the math & science scores at SCPA, not the best compared to other middle and high schools in the National City and Paradise Hills area. Also, this school offers no sports whatsoever. The majority of the school population consists of female students, look at demographics. It's predominantly female. They need more male students. When you call it's very difficult to get someone on the phone, you have the automated switchboard that bounces you around from line to line. I wouldn't call often but when I did I would always get so frustrated and getting voicemails. It's hard to get a live person in the office. Also, who's idea was it to start classes at 7:15am?! Good grief, so early! We used to have to wake up at 5:30am to walk out the door at 6:30am and be on the road to be on campus by 7am. Considering that Zamorano Elementary is a feeder school of SCPA and starts at 7:35am, you'd think the district would consider starting classes at SCPA at 8am or so for the parents who still have other kids enrolled at Zamorano and the many students who commute from other areas of the county have ample time to be there on time, not having to wake up at the crack of dawn. After 6 yrs it wears on you (grades 6-12). The district really needs to change the start time at SCPA, that would be my biggest complaint. If they did that, I really believe the scores would be higher in the match & science dept.

San Diego Scpa School 4

Posted January 24, 2015
My daughter went to SCPA from 6th-12th grade and participated in the art program. What I LOOOOVVEEE about this school is the fact that there is a focus - not your typical middle/high school. You can choose art, music, dance, drama, and more. This is the place if your child takes their craft seriously and really wants to pursue that area in the future. I think that having a focus can have a very positive effect on your child's attitude about school, but it isn't necessarily for everyone. The school is also good at tolerance and acceptance of differences. The new principal is a former teacher at the same school and is an outstanding person and supportive of students and staff. Where there could be improvement? We had a run of bad luck with math classes. This may be because my daughter was not originally placed in the appropriate class in 6th grade and then ended up following a track of lower classes (she initially was advanced in math). There were a few other staffing issues, but, overall, the availability of intense focus in the arts is worth some of the negative. Ms. Partridge and Ms. Miles are the best! (art department).

San Diego Scpa School 2

Posted October 20, 2014
My son goes to the high school. He auditioned to get in. I am seriously considering taking him out. First off, it's way overcrowded. On parent teacher day I was horrified to see in my son's art class there were so many students that there were not enough seats for all of them. About a dozen kids literally had to stand in the back. Second, I've called on a few occasions and left message, once to my son'e counselor and another to front staff, and not ONCE have I received a call back from staff. My son has ADHD but tested into gate, but I see he is falling through the cracks more. Unless your child can fend for himself without a seat or attentive staff, then they too will fall through the cracks.

San Diego Scpa School 1

Posted June 08, 2014
If I could rate this school I'll do it with zero, my daughter had the most horrible time there, she was victim of bullying there. If your are thinking to send your children there think twice, they have wonderful artistic teachers but have the worst criteria to act to protect the students. I am not the first parent to have to remove my child from SCPA as a result of inaction about bullying. SCPA throwing away a talented, har working student and protect people that does not deserve this privilege . I will never recommend SCPA. I could not do it in good conscience.

San Diego Scpa School 4

Posted June 07, 2014
I can now say retrospectively that SCPA is a very good school. As a parent, having seen firsthand, my children experience other SD city schools and now appreciating what SCPA has to offer.

Posted May 06, 2014
My school is Awsome i will never switch schools LOve the school so so much AWSOME!!!!!!

San Diego Scpa School 1

Posted May 05, 2014
This school is terrible. My son went there. Most of the children are mean and cruel, in the middle school. The high school might be good, but the middle school is terrible. The teachers act like they do not have enough time for there students, they just make them do busy work all day, without even paying attention, students are on they're phones. They do not deal with issues well. They waited over 3 months to deal with a threat issue with my son. They need to hire new vice principals. Honestly TERRIBLE. They are not well trained. They did not even solve the problem with my son. Terrible school. I wish I could rate it ZERO STARS.

Posted October 11, 2013
My is school is Scpa. Scpa is the best public art school in San Diego. It's my choice. Any person how like arts should go there.

Posted October 09, 2013
My son is having the time of his life in this school, the aArt programs are soo interesting. I am also happy with how good they are with their school report card.

San Diego Scpa School
2425 Dusk Drive, San Diego, CA  92139
Last modified San Diego Scpa School is a Public school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
San Diego Scpa School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 236 reviews. Top