Bad
Good

Sandburg Elementary School 1

Posted December 10, 2015
I can't believe all the good reviews of this school. We had a terrible time with my son's kindergarten teacher and got zero backup from the principal. We found out after we pulled our son out that not only had the teacher been removed from teaching previously for treating the kids poorly but the principal has no plans to replace her. A year later and she is still at it. A child in my son's boy scout pack has her and she continues to treat the kids poorly. If you have a child going into TK or regular kindergarten, avoid this school.

Posted June 22, 2013
My daughter just finished kindergarten here and we love it. Our teacher, Mrs Remick was wonderful and experienced. Mrs. Remick projects a kindly presence engaging the children in the excitement of learning yet her control over the class is absolute - a perfect balance. My daughter flourished in her class and now reads beginning reader 1 & 2 books by herself. The school also has a great hand on principal, Geof Martin. Mr. Martin is on the grounds greeting parents every morning and afternoon, keeping an eye on things and catching the pulse of the parents. The school's Foundation (a volunteer fundraising organization) funds classes like art, PE etc so they are not lost through budget cuts. Sandburg has an over 900 API score which it accomplished without trading critical thinking for test-focused rote learning. The campus is one of the few with mature trees shading the courtyard. Sandburg Elementary is an exemplary school and I look forward to my daughter's 5th grade graduation with her well-prepared for middle school.

Posted October 29, 2012
Sandburg is not our neighborhood school. We choiced into Sandburg because of the great reviews. When I went to visit the school 4 years ago, the first thing I noticed about Sandburg Elementary was how warm and inviting the campus is. Clean, neat and with nice open spaces. But, as the years passed, I've also come to love the people at Sandburg. The kids are friendly and respectful which is a reflection on the kind of families we have here. We have great parent involvement. The PTA and Foundation are strong bodies and help support the school in many ways. So, if you are thinking about which school to bring your child, THIS ONE ROCKS! GO TIGERS!

Posted October 31, 2010
I could not be happier with a school! The teachers are exceeding my expectations and are really putting the kids first. The afterschool programs offered are awesome and so convenient! Such a great schools make me want to help as much as I can to be involved in such a good thing :)

Posted October 06, 2009
I love working at this school. Teachers and parents truly work together to support student education.

Posted May 29, 2008
The school, the staff and parents are really involved with the students and their education. All 3 of my kids have all have had positive experiences at Sandburg.

Posted April 12, 2007
My son has been at Sandburg for 4 years and every teacher has been great! They emphacize life lessons like respect, courtesy, and dignity, that supplement the academics. I am disappointed in some of the supplies, books, and materials that they have on hand. I'm not sure they spend their available funds in the best manner.

Posted January 08, 2007
The teachers and principal are very dedicated to the students. While the facilities are not the prettiest - it more than makes up for it in the academics. We where so pleased with the effort and dedication towards the studies that the teachers made, that we did not enroll our child in La Jolla Country Day. They are that good - and I mean that they will tailor the curriculum to your childs level beyond what is called for.

Posted August 26, 2006
Sandburg is a great school especially because of its after school and extra curricular activities. Entering 4th grade you have the option of entering the school band. Your child can continue that hobbie untill middle school where they can enter a full class to hone there skills. There are numerous carnivals to participate in. They have after school programs for your child (6 to 6, Klassic Kids, CDC). Other school programs include GATE, a high achieving class. I am very impressed by the involvement of the parents, the PTS is a great group of people. Two thumbs way up!

Posted October 27, 2005
I have been a parent at Sandburg for 10 years, the school is awesome, the best asset is the wonderful teaching staff. The principal, Mrs. Hinzman is excellent. This school has more parent involvement than most schools,the PTA alone has over 35 board members. People here care, get involved and make a difference.

Sandburg Elementary School
11230 Avenida Del Gato, San Diego, CA  92126-1235
Last modified Sandburg Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sandburg Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top