Posted November 22, 2014
tierrasanta has a professional class of homeowners, but murphy canyon of enlisted and officers are transient and middle to lower class. I'm wondering if you separated out the two, the ratings would be higher.

Posted February 05, 2014
When a person first walks into the campus of Junipero Serra High School ones perception of the school changes based on what one does in their high school year and which teachers you get. Personally there are things I like about this school such as the ranges of diversity in this school to the people in the school. Who the people are defines the school and this school it is way harder to define the cliques. That is a major plus. Yet the school as a ego and "We love fried chicken" just about sums it up. Personally i am not in thrill of the condition of the school yet the programs and kids make up for it. I am in NJROTC in which some minor repairs could drastically change the outlook on this unit. I am a fan of JROTC i see how it establishes patriotism, creates young leaders and more mature people yet leadership rests on the staff and how they impact the lives of the cadets. All in all this depends on the bias of the kids. you do not have to be a mastermind to be in this school just take the classes which are a necessity which some people like I hate. I am not a fan that when I am an senior next year it is either regular or AP classes oh well, got to deal with what you got.

Serra High School 5

Posted January 16, 2013
I am so thankful my daughter attends Serra High. The staff is very involved and the teachers are in contact with parents regarding students progress. My child who is autistic has not had any problems, it seems like the kids who attend are more open to helping others with special needs. I feel as though mt child's best interests are being considered and my input is valued as well!

Posted December 18, 2012
to the parents who think they will get involved and make it better . good luck the administration at this school can counter any possible common sense you have about your childs education. the front office needs to be fired !!

Posted October 22, 2012
Counselors and a very few of the administrative staff need much to be desired. It was a GREAT thing that .. ...... retired before this school year began. Until contact with this situation, my children and family previously experienced competant, engaged, energetic, motivated reliable, knowledgeable experiences with other school administration and personnel with other schools. Until this exposure, a counselor who was consistently poorly representing a school and poorly advising students by being largely inattentive and extremely aloof, was something very foreign to me and my family; however, it seemed this counselor was heavily protected by the administration. WHAT AN OVERALL DISAPPOINTMENT..

Posted September 22, 2011
I disagree with the way the other poster has characterized the drug problem at Serra High School. The drug problem is throughout San Diego County. While we all struggle to watch our kids and filter who they interact with, I kind of think it is a bit unfair to blame the problem on the school. We live in a different time with all of the cutbacks in our school system and as parents we should be getting more involved with the school, not tearing down staff credibility. I usually never comment on sites like this but I have looked at a lot of the schools before selecting Serra through the Choice program. Serra High School is a good school as long as you stay involved with the school and your kids life. San Diego Unified School District is NOT a place to send your kids to school if you are an "autopilot parent."

Posted May 25, 2010
We've been very pleased with our boys' experiences at Serra High. One of our sons is graduating & is off to U of A! He had many opportunities in his 4 years at Serra to prepare for the college-life that is ahead of him (successful sports teams, student leadership, academic clubs, AP classes, & fun clubs). He performed well on his SAT's, and was accepted into many top colleges, including schools in the UC system. Our other son, a sophomore, continues to shine as well. He is consistently being challenged and getting straight A's. He too has been on a successful CIF playoff sports team, is involved in Key Club, AP club, and takes full advantage of all that Serra has to offer. We are so thankful that our kids chose Serra High, & are blessed that the school is in our own backyard!

Serra High School 1

Posted March 11, 2010

Posted March 07, 2010
I would not send your kid's to Serra. The administration is very distant. Some the teacher's are very kind and care about the student's but about half of the teachers seem like they just don't care about the student. In their defense, most of the students don't care about themselves. The students are mostly rude, interruptive and unintelligent, with a minority of the school being tolerable. The faculty and community seems to pump money into the sports programs, even though only a few of the teams at Serra are consistent let alone consistently good. The VAPA department has great teachers, with Mrs. Howell being one of the best theatre teachers and Mr. Rea being one of the best band directors in the county. The only problem is, the VAPA department recieves very little money at the district, school, and community levels. They do work very hard with what they have.

Serra High School 5

Posted January 21, 2010

Serra High School
5156 Santo Road, San Diego, CA  92124
Last modified Serra High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Serra High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 46 reviews. Top