Standley Middle School

Public | 6-8

Living in San Diego

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $277,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,860.

Posted June 17, 2013

So it seems most parents hate or love Stanley......at any school one will have issues. I will not tell you about the positive but what I will tell you is why people see the native & this may explain all the one star ratings. One parent writes of a known bully who the principal allowed to read the graduation speech. This parent is only venting and failed to include that their daughter was suspended supported by school cameras. Further the principal does not chose the speech writer & reader but a panel of 7 teacher (none of which are the principal). The speech reader this yr is loved by the majority of her piers and weighs in at 120lb 5 feet and labeling an outstanding person a bully is sad. Parents blame everyone for their failures when they have no clue and seems that they are manipulated by these little ones. Math is difficult but in any good HS it is harder. We had to use tutoring to get our star reader to pass math.

Posted June 15, 2013

I used to go to this school when it was still Jr. High and it was a great school back then, so, i figured if I put my daughter here, she would have somewhat of the same experience...well, boy was I mistaken. My daughter struggles with school and right away the teachers just said she was lazy and was seen as a target. I asked for an IEP test and was told I needed to talk to my doctor??..Teachers here don't know how to talk to the kids, or parents, yet they expect respect and they do not lead by example. The staff there doesn't know how to deal with certain issues. Just because this school is in La Jolla, doesn't mean it's a good school. They were also under review not too long ago...and it was for a reason. I am proud and relieved to say that my daughter will NOT be attending this school next year. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT bring your children here.

Posted June 7, 2013

I understand that middle school can be a difficult time for kids and a challenge for educators. But the administration at this school is the epitomy of apathy. The Principal refuses to address important issue like bullying and other bad behavior to the point that it takes threats of legal action for her to do her job. We were appauled to learn recently that a known bully was given the honor of making a speech at the 8th grade promotion ceremony next week, because she won a speech writing contest. Ms. Lyons promotes bad behavior and than grandstands when she finally takes action to advise parents about the bullying that is taking place on her campus that she has been told about for months. I would say this is a pathetic display of leadership. This has been the worst 3 years of my daughters life and we are so grateful that its almost over. I would advise you don't walk away from sending your child to Standley Middle School, run as fast and as far as you can.

Posted May 19, 2013

A negative and disorganized school that performs well below expectations. Staff are not racist but can be rude, condescending and obstructive with any parent. Parents volunteers who were active in elementary school often stop helping out when they start to feel their children are treated unfairly. The feeder elementary and high schools are high performing yet Standley was classed as 'failing' for three years and barely escaped this year - last test scores are still far short and NOT 'out of this world'. Professional behavior, basic skills and teaching effort in almost 1/3 of the staff is lacking. I have seen staff responsible for student injuries, bring replica weapons into school, blatant failures to grade or demonstrate any records of student work, failures to show up for parent meetings.. If this were your child's behavior it would soon be a suspension or worse but the Principal simply refuses to acknowledge problems. A letter yesterday detailed how graduating 8th graders with low academic or citizenship scores will be prohibited from attending the graduation ceremony. All these kids should be celebrated but the final memory of Standley will be negativity and discrimination.

Posted April 11, 2013

The way math is taught in this school (district?) is the most convoluted mess I have ever seen. I can not even put into words how both my child and myself have come to HATE this subject now. I realize that once summer starts I will be entirely reteaching this whole subject to my child in an orderly and logical progression using workbooks as it seems this subject at the school is all over the place and hardly uses the book on most occasions. To many handouts without answers and not enough intervention to determine exactly how well a student is doing at understanding the material, whatever that my be at times. Makes me question if I should send another child to this school or just relocate instead.

Posted March 12, 2013

This school has a Three Strike & You re Out rule.(A punishment program regarding unfinished homework assignments) and the staff are forcing students (who did not complete and/or turn in a homework assignment or packet) to make a phone call home (while school is in session) and read (from a script written by the school staff) a VERY HUMILIATING speech to their parents; (in short) telling them how sorry they are for letting them down & not living up to their standards and expectations, & so on. By the third (strike) time not completing a homework assignment, the student not only has to make the (humiliating speech) call home, they also must have a meeting with the school s VP 5 days of lunch detention or one day of Wednesday school. This happens even if the student has been out sick and has quite a bit of homework to catch up on. I m sorry but, What s Up !! Is this practice of student humiliation REALLY necessary; I think NOT ??!! But then again . . . Who am I to question this school s disciplinary actions; I m just another parent; right ?!

Posted October 25, 2012

i like this school im a six grader there i love it just some thighs i dont like lets start with PE i dont like chaging i front of the other students i try to go to the rest room and it turns out we are not aloud to chage i the rest room my math teacher mr withers is awsome he can get a little rasit ad ms danilso she can get racest too mr marcus is the awsome teacher he is a music teacher and mr weedmark is awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted September 4, 2012

Standley Middle School is by far the worst school I have ever been to. The school is very poor and unorganized. They say that it is not their fault they are poor but because the funding is bad. However, they spend their money very poorly spending money on textbooks and other things that are almost never used throughout the year. The schedules are also very unorganized, and are always wrong and have to be changed 2 or 3 times. The staff and teachers also fail at controlling the kids and most of them are very racist and constantly say inappropriate things. The school is very unsanitary, as there is gum all over the floor, under the desks, and even under the chairs. The principal does not even accept parents' requests for changing their kids' classes. The cafeteria lunch menu is also poorly designed because they are limited to each item to often vegetarians starve. I went to Standley for an unfortunate 3 years. Take my advice and do NOT go to Standley.

Posted April 21, 2012

There is so much racism at this school from the Principal to office staffs! They are unkind and ignore students and parents.

Posted April 16, 2012

There is quite a bit of racism at Standley Middle School. There also seems to be a problem with bullying that the administration tolerates. It appears that the staff has difficulties controlling the behavioral problems of the students. My child has been bullied repeatedly at Standley and the staff chooses to look the other way.

Posted March 31, 2012

This is the most awesome school i ever seen even my kids are very smart and the GATE program helped them to go to higher level classes so I say that this is the best school I ever seen

Posted February 8, 2012

I think Standley is an awesome school. I sent both my kids to Standley after they attended private school. Standley challenged and supported them both! Principal Lyon and staff are the best! TK

Posted January 20, 2012

Academics at this school score badly relative to the UCcluster elementary and high schools and are also poor relative to comparable student populations in the SD District. Science is only given as an option for 1/3year in 6th grade, so less important than PE, Social Studies.. Lunch and external activities are minimal. Many teachers seem incapable of managing their web materials or email. The main school focus appears to be tracking petty disciplinary issues. Management and planning is poor - now even worse then the previous Principal - this year 2/6 grading periods were almost done (Thanksgiving!) before the back-to-school night explaining class expectations was even held. Office staff typically ignore you and one counselor is notoriously unresponsive. There are good reasons many UC cluster parents skip the kids out from Standley for the middle school years and come back for UC High later.

Posted December 31, 2011

If I understand the official mail I just received, this school is in year 2 of an Improvement Program after having failed to achieve proper scores in basic standardized testing for the No Child Left Behind act. Whether this reflects poorly on the school itself or suggests GreatSchools.org is a scam for ranking it a 9, something is misaligned with all these stats and ratings. The very scary thing about this San Diego Unified School District letter, by the way, is encouragement to apply to other schools with no cost bussing for my son.

Posted July 27, 2011

I recently graduated from Standley and I really enjoyed my time there. I was in the Seminar program and the teachers were really helpful and often challenged us to go further in our studies. They helped us do our best for tests and were very supportive!

Posted April 18, 2011

Standley Middle School is a very good school that does it's best to serve all students. The GATE classes are offered in English and Social Studies for each of the three grades (6th, 7th and 8th). For math, all students are tested and placed based on the test results. All other classes are taught by capable and better than capable teachers and consist of a mix of all students. Students have excellent elective choices in addition to the outstanding band/orchestra options. Anyone who thinks the teachers and staff are only interested in GATE students has not spent any time at the school or talked to any of the dedicated teachers and staff. These are people who have tirelessly been doing more with less for years and will likely continue to do given the current budget outlook. How many of us would be willing to do the job they do under current conditions? In the two and a half years that she has been at the school, Principal Lyon has changed the culture dramatically. According to my child, bullying is at an all-time low. Her consistent zero-tolerance position has had a pervasive effect. I am looking forward to having my next child start there in the Fall.

Posted April 17, 2011

This school only offers good resources (math classes, etc.) to GATE children. If your not in GATE than sorry but your going to basically learn the same stuff from 6th to 8th grade. So of course some comments (made by GATE kids) are thrilled with the school. They're actually LEARNING! There are also 43 ratings made by teacher/staff members ,which they all gave 5 stars, no surprise they all want to keep their jobs. Why don't they get a degree and start teaching! Why do kids come to school if their no getting anything out of it! It is a waste of everybody's time and when they get to high school it's gonna be a heck of a lot harder. GOOOOD LUCK!

Posted February 26, 2011

My child currently attends Standley. The only positive thing I can say about this school is that it has a great band program. Other than that this is a terrible school. Children are constanly being bullied and not much if anything at all is being done to controll it. My child will not be returning to this school next school year.

Posted August 20, 2010

I just finished my first year at Standley, and I am very pleased with how the year went. The teachers are outstanding: challenging but offer lots of help when you need it. I was in the GATE program and learned a lot throughout the year. Highlights were English, in which I learned many things and also did nice projects. I also enjoyed having PE every day. The coaches were supportive and challenged you to always push harder, but never forced you to do anything completely against your abilities. I made a lot of new friends, although the behavior of some kids could be better. I am overall very happy with my first year at Standley and can't wait to start again!

Posted March 18, 2010

best school ever. the band has been an award winning band for almost 10 years and the teachers are phenominal.
—Submitted by a student

(2012)

10 / 10

4 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

10 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

4 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

308 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

307 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

357 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

289 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

192 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

280 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

43 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

289 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

283 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students79%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)76%
Parent education - college graduate88%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate91%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students12%
Fluent-English proficient and English only16%
Gifted and talentedn/a
Parent education - high school graduate0%
Parent education - college graduaten/a
Parent education - graduate school/post graduaten/a

Geometry

• Heidi Eastcott (Lyon)
Fax number
  • (858) 546-7627

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now