San Diego, CA
Before care: Yes

Posted September 26, 2013
so far I love first the pricipal how she is so involve with the kids and also so cheerful and outgoing with parents. she even took time to talk to me about how the process was of getting my daughter into te school which made it so much easier to understand. this is my daughters first year as a 1st grader and so far she loves it. also love the gardening and the after school program they offer which is every 8 wks long. more update toward the end of the year. I'm happy I choiced this school for my daughter .

Posted August 22, 2013
Tierrasanta Elementary is by far THE BEST Elementary I've had the pleasure of putting my kids in. Having 2 out of 3 of my kids on the Autism Spectrum, they were welcomed by the other students and nurtured by the staff. My daughter just finished 5th grade and it was quite a challenge for both her and her teacher, Mrs. Lach, but she never gave up on her. The principal Ms. Olsen is one of the best principals I've ever known. Since my daughter started school, I've never known a principal to be out with the road guards in the morning to make sure that the parents and their kids get to school safely. She does the same thing in the afternoons as well. Ms. Olsen also takes it upon herself to get to know her students and the parents. Whenever there was an issue with one of my kids, it was dealt with appropriately and professionally, even when my child was at fault. The other teachers I want to commend there are Ms. Brozda and Mr. Sprong. Ms. Brozda is a very caring, but strict Kindergarten teacher which was exactly what my youngest son needed. My oldest son had Mr. Sprong, and he was very patient with him and his ASD behaviors. I absolutely adore this school!

Posted July 20, 2013
Of the 5 schools located in Tierrasanta/Murphy Canyon this is one of THE best. VERY active parental involvement. Parents can be seen all over this school every day of the school year. The partnership with the USS San Diego offers the school additional adult support and leadership as well. The principal is seen daily before & after school and has an open door policy in regards to parents & students. The majority of the teachers are excellent at this school and genuinely care about each of their students as their own. There are a few that are questionable but if 99% of something is good, statistics are on your side as far as quality. This school really has a family feel and supportive environment. Its a little hidden gem in Tierrasanta since its not as widely "known" as other schools in the area. But that is a good thing! Less over crowding as the other schools have seen.

Tierrasanta Elementary School 1

Posted February 26, 2012
Well I must say that I have given it over two years and it has led to a festering wound. I may have a bit of backlash for what I am about to say; but, seriously, this school is a mess. A certain kindergarten teacher, at our first parent teacher conference threatened to FAIL our daughter because she was not reading yet. I believe this teacher has failed as a teacher. Yes, we all know of budget cuts and the number of students one teacher is assigned to. This should have stood out as a red flag for this teacher as she was responsible for a special needs student, and one that I have discovered is still in a standard classroom environment where the child, unfortunately, disrupts teaching. It cannot be the student's obligation, nor the administration's obligation, to turn this situation around. If said teacher reads this review, remember that the "squeaky wheel always gets the grease". Take me for example: I tried reaching out to you and you blew me off. The next effect: Sending my daughter to a private school where she thrives in leaning. What a sad ending to a beautiful beginning that ended stone cold as the fallout for literacy. Shame on Tierrasanta Elementary.

Posted October 13, 2011
My sister, brother and I went to Tierrasanta Elementary School in the 90s. Since then, my sister has obtained her law degree from USD, my brother graduated with honors from UC Berkeley's school of architecture and design, and I'm graduating this fall from UC Irvine with a degree in speech language pathology. None of us have forgotten how this school engrained the love of knowledge in our minds and hearts. Thanks, Tierrasanta!

Posted August 12, 2011
My daughter and myself love this school. I have nothing bad to say about the school at all.

Posted March 19, 2011
My son has special needs, this school has done great things for him. The principle, teachers and support staff have gone above and beyond for our son. In the past 2 1/2 years that we have been there they have helped him improve in every subject and helped him adjust and cope with issues that were not academic. Bullying is not an issue at this school which is a relief for any parent! We are moving out of state and can only hope we find a school as good.

Posted May 25, 2010
After not getting into any of the public or charter schools we wanted, we decided on Tierrasanta Elementary. I couldn't be happier. The kids are generally very well behaved, friendly, and helpful. Minimal time is spent interrupting the class with disciplinary problems. The kids exude interest and excitement on the playground and in the classroom. I love that the kindergartners have 5th-grade buddies. The 5th-graders get to feel like rock stars, and the kindergartners have a blast sharing special projects with the older kids. The principal is usually outside with the 5th-grade crossing guards every morning and afternoon. She's brave enough to handle crossing-guard duty alone when it rains. I just like that. There is a nice variety of after-school activities for a fee. These kids are learning and loving it.

Posted September 16, 2009
Tierrasanta Elementary not only promotes excellent academic education but also has a character building program. The entire school participates in learning and practicing a particular character trait such as honesty, for six weeks, and then a school assembly is held.

Tierrasanta Elementary School 0

Posted January 12, 2009
My family of 3 kids have been at TES for 5 years. I have seen enrollment go up while other schools are going down. Afterschool extracurriculars are the best around. We have a broad range of teaching styles from male and female teachers. All students get Fine Art, Character Education and Drama. Field trips are educational and fun. TES has a great GATE Seminar program with highly educated teachers. I've spent the past 5 years directly involved with the program. PTA seems to be the 20% who do 80% of the work, but that seems typical for SDUSD. Teacher radios are 1:20 in K-3 and 1:32 in 4th and 5th which is also typical but really should be lower in the perfect world. The new principal is very friendly and fair.. dosn't play faveorites. I recoment TES and it's worth being on year-round to have my kids there.

Tierrasanta Elementary School
5450 Lacuenta Drive, San Diego, CA  92124
Last modified Tierrasanta Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5
Tierrasanta Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top