Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Tierrasanta elementary school provides kids a safe environment to learn. They promote kindness over all. My girl is happy to learn, happy to go to school, she learns good manner and core value (respect, fairness, ... ). She grows up so well thanks to Mrs Murray, her kindergarten teacher. What a school !

2015 The principal, Dr. Olsen is wonderfully involved, knows almost all of the kids by first name and is the foundation for helping this school excel. She never ceases an opportunity to find ways to teach the children, present academically progressive programs and motivate the parents and the community to get involved and support our school. The teachers are phenomenal trained to academically push the children to be above average. The teachers, staff & specialists (for those who are academically gifted as well as those who face challenges) really help by focusing on each child individually to make sure they are truly learning/excelling. I am also impressed by the social skills the school helps implement into the curriculum. They teach the kids to communicate by teaching and practicing the skills to do so. The PTA and afterschool programs are fabulous. They offer everything from archery, golf, dance, science, soccer, chess, art, volleyball, piano.....you name it! The prices are reasonable for elementary students who may be in the "just trying it out" stage. The school has one of the best award winning science programs in the district. I have my Masters Degree am often surprised by facts that I learn from my First Grader! I also appreciate the school's focus on health by teaching the students about nutrition and exercise. The only pitfalls that I could see for this school is the library is dated & stuffy and the ambience does not invite kids to read, but they do have a great variety of books. The other would be that there is no music class at this time but they do sing, dance and learn songs several times a week as well as learn about instruments. The school is very diverse with a variety of social and economical backgrounds. I found a large variety of the parents I know are highly educated. Many students have also "choiced" into our school and commute to get to Tierrasanta which is a great sign we have a good thing going here. - Parent

I'm very happy with this school. I have two boys going here since kindergarten. I have been impressed with the parent involvement and the cohesiveness of the staff and teachers. The principal is outstanding -- very concerned for everyone's well-being, and she really gets to know every kid's personality. The After School Enrichment options are a plus, as it gives my kids a chance to take 8 lessons over 8 weeks to try something such as Chess, Dance, Soccer, Theater, and so on.

so far I love first the pricipal how she is so involve with the kids and also so cheerful and outgoing with parents. she even took time to talk to me about how the process was of getting my daughter into te school which made it so much easier to understand. this is my daughters first year as a 1st grader and so far she loves it. also love the gardening and the after school program they offer which is every 8 wks long. more update toward the end of the year. I'm happy I choiced this school for my daughter .

Tierrasanta Elementary is by far THE BEST Elementary I've had the pleasure of putting my kids in. Having 2 out of 3 of my kids on the Autism Spectrum, they were welcomed by the other students and nurtured by the staff. My daughter just finished 5th grade and it was quite a challenge for both her and her teacher, Mrs. Lach, but she never gave up on her. The principal Ms. Olsen is one of the best principals I've ever known. Since my daughter started school, I've never known a principal to be out with the road guards in the morning to make sure that the parents and their kids get to school safely. She does the same thing in the afternoons as well. Ms. Olsen also takes it upon herself to get to know her students and the parents. Whenever there was an issue with one of my kids, it was dealt with appropriately and professionally, even when my child was at fault. The other teachers I want to commend there are Ms. Brozda and Mr. Sprong. Ms. Brozda is a very caring, but strict Kindergarten teacher which was exactly what my youngest son needed. My oldest son had Mr. Sprong, and he was very patient with him and his ASD behaviors. I absolutely adore this school!

Of the 5 schools located in Tierrasanta/Murphy Canyon this is one of THE best. VERY active parental involvement. Parents can be seen all over this school every day of the school year. The partnership with the USS San Diego offers the school additional adult support and leadership as well. The principal is seen daily before & after school and has an open door policy in regards to parents & students. The majority of the teachers are excellent at this school and genuinely care about each of their students as their own. There are a few that are questionable but if 99% of something is good, statistics are on your side as far as quality. This school really has a family feel and supportive environment. Its a little hidden gem in Tierrasanta since its not as widely "known" as other schools in the area. But that is a good thing! Less over crowding as the other schools have seen.

Well I must say that I have given it over two years and it has led to a festering wound. I may have a bit of backlash for what I am about to say; but, seriously, this school is a mess. A certain kindergarten teacher, at our first parent teacher conference threatened to FAIL our daughter because she was not reading yet. I believe this teacher has failed as a teacher. Yes, we all know of budget cuts and the number of students one teacher is assigned to. This should have stood out as a red flag for this teacher as she was responsible for a special needs student, and one that I have discovered is still in a standard classroom environment where the child, unfortunately, disrupts teaching. It cannot be the student's obligation, nor the administration's obligation, to turn this situation around. If said teacher reads this review, remember that the "squeaky wheel always gets the grease". Take me for example: I tried reaching out to you and you blew me off. The next effect: Sending my daughter to a private school where she thrives in leaning. What a sad ending to a beautiful beginning that ended stone cold as the fallout for literacy. Shame on Tierrasanta Elementary.

My sister, brother and I went to Tierrasanta Elementary School in the 90s. Since then, my sister has obtained her law degree from USD, my brother graduated with honors from UC Berkeley's school of architecture and design, and I'm graduating this fall from UC Irvine with a degree in speech language pathology. None of us have forgotten how this school engrained the love of knowledge in our minds and hearts. Thanks, Tierrasanta!

My daughter and myself love this school. I have nothing bad to say about the school at all.

My son has special needs, this school has done great things for him. The principle, teachers and support staff have gone above and beyond for our son. In the past 2 1/2 years that we have been there they have helped him improve in every subject and helped him adjust and cope with issues that were not academic. Bullying is not an issue at this school which is a relief for any parent! We are moving out of state and can only hope we find a school as good.

Last modified Tierrasanta Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.