Posted October 11, 2014
My child attends kindergarten at Toler and I am very satisfied with the school. I haven't heard one complaint from him. Children get individual attention due to the size of the school. Prime Time staff knows each child's name. His teacher responds to my requests within 24 hours. My son used to love TV. But now he comes home and starts on crafts projects instead of turning the TV on. They are doing something right. Mrs Peggy is a very reasonable person too. I am not sure why the other parent was so upset.

Toler Elementary School 1

Posted October 10, 2014
This is a terrible school in many ways --under poor administration, disorganized, and where a lack of communication between teachers and the principal is prevalent and effects student social and emotional growth as well as learning. Students with special needs are either ignored or allowed to get away with attention seeking behavior. This is so sad because these are the children that need the most support and they need behavior plans that help them understand how to thrive and socially adapt as well as make lifelong friendships in elementary school. These children are mainstreamed with no guidelines, no consistency, and make themselves and others they hurt ashamed when they act out. They are trusting in a faulty system and bad leadership to create a safe and happy environment for them so they can learn effectively. I believe the school would be much better with a principal with a better ability to communicate, a clear idea about each student's needs as there are students with emotional disturbance, autism, etc at the school and there are only 257 kids there so it would mean a lot if the principal knew what she was doing.

Posted June 12, 2014
My son just finished Kindergarten at Toler, and I was so impressed with his teacher. I sat in on classes, and was amazed at the resources this small public school has from technology, to community members serving as volunteers. I enrolled my son in Prime Time, and they take great care to have quality learning time, as well as recreation and crafts. I also enrolled my 3 year old at the YMCA Toler preschool. We love our experience here, the multiculturalism of the school, the teachers, and the families. Volunteerism at the school is growing too! We love it.

Posted October 28, 2013
I live in the neighborhood. My children attended this school. I have heard nothing but wonderful things about the staff, Administrator, Mrs Peggy Lewis, parents and students. The neighborhood parents I speak to love this school and everyone who works at this school. If you do enroll your child/children at this school, they will get a wonderful education and have a great educational preparation for middle and high school.

Toler Elementary School 3

Posted October 09, 2013
My daughter was here for 2 years the teacher in kinder was really nice and good, the first grade teacher Mrs S is the one I didn't like so much she said some inappropriate comments about some of the kids, and you can see that she didn't have a lot of patience, my daughter one told me that when they were taking the teacher hit the table scream and then go out for counting with her fingers I think that was totally ethic. Then one day she forgot one page of her homework at home and she was really worry, I told her it was ok. and just explained to the teacher and she was almost crying and told me that the teacher was going to be upset and that the teacher was so stress if something like this happen. If you want to talk with the principal about something that bother you, they give you an appointment and the teacher was there all the time they support more the teacher than the children.

Posted September 06, 2013
I researched schools throughout San Diego and was nervous about my son beginning kindergarten. After the new student orientation at Toler, I felt completely at ease. From our first day, it was obvious that every person on staff at the school is thoughtful and focused on creating a vibrant and eclectic school culture. Above all, I love the culture at Toler, which encourages collaboration, well-roundedness, and learning from the world around you. The teachers are very warm, empathetic, and patient. The school is well maintained with a fantastic library, computer lab, and garden. The homework is just enough to maintain focus and practice skills outside of the classroom, but not burden family time. In the mornings before class, the children participate in Toler Trekkers, which has been great for my energetic little one before settling into a morning of class time. The school hosts a variety of family-focused events throughout the year where students showcase their work. My only wish is that the school district had better meal plans in place. My little one wouldn't eat lunches I packed since his friends bought lunch, and I cringe thinking of the food he eats there.

Posted April 24, 2013
My Son was educated in. Toler 10 years ago and he had a great education and today he is excelling in High School. 10 years after I am so happy to have my daughter attending Toler and so happy to have the same teacher who taught my son.. This school has the best teachers who are involved in laying the correct foundation in students. With limited resources due to budget cuts , still they go out of the way to make each students life better.

Posted February 11, 2013
Though we were originally hesitant about switching to an unfamiliar school two years ago, we have had only the best experiences with the faculty, the principal, the childcare staff, and other parents. Our son has grown so much as a student because of the attention and care he has received at Toler. He has also been able to be involved in a variety of after-school activities of very high quality. We have learned that the bells and whistles of other schools are not as important as genuine care and good experience to achieve quality.

Posted February 11, 2013
My child has been at Toler for three years now and, as a second langage learner, has been greatly helped and encouraged by his teachers. They are devoded and open to dialogue - always- . Thank you Toler teachers and staff, we are lucky to have you in the neighborood!

Posted February 10, 2013
I visit a lot of schools & recently visited Toler. I had exactly the opposite impression from the Feb. 5 poster below. To me the students had an unusual amount of energy & enthusiasm, and the teachers were unusually engaged and caring. Some fine things are going on here.

Toler Elementary School
3350 Baker Street, San Diego, CA  92117
Last modified Toler Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Toler Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top