Bad
Good

Horrible office staff. The principal and the staff obviously don't communicate amongst each other. And I give you mixed information about things. I had an office staff yell at me about my kindergarten student who wouldn't sit still. And she complained about how she had personal stuff to get to. I never got an apology from her and she avoided me for a year and a half.

Toler is awesome! It's a smaller school with the biggest heart! Wonderful sense of community, great teachers, PTA and fabulous Principal.

My Daughter loves the teachers and Prime Time staff at Toler. Over the last year and a half she has become such a good student and loves to read, she has gone up 7 reading levels this year! She also enjoys tennis, heartlight aerobics and chess club after school. I am very satisfied with the school, the administration and the staff..i only docked a star because I think there could be some improvements to the grounds.

I have two children at Toler Elementary. Our children attended three (3) other schools in the Clairemont area during pre-K, K and summer schools before 1st grade and hands down Toler was our favorite. The teachers know the students, and parents by first name. The principal and administrators know them all as well. Heck, the janitor knows my name and has been instrumental in helping with our PTA fundraisers. My children are thriving at this school and we intend to be here until they graduate. As bonus points, the pre and post school programs are exceptional. I couldn't be happier and I am not sure what some parents want that this school isn't delivering.

We choice in to this school because of its wonderful community atmosphere. The principal is kind and knowledgeable and has done a wonderful job keeping the parents informed. My kids love the library and I love that they have a working library with a credentialed teacher as a librarian. I appreciate that the staff at this school focuses on a core value each month and that they are always looking for ways to enrich the students . Toler also has an excellent focus on instrumental music. It is a much calmer and more caring school than our neighborhood school (which we attended for 3 years) and we are so grateful to be at Toler.

My child attends kindergarten at Toler and I am very satisfied with the school. I haven't heard one complaint from him. Children get individual attention due to the size of the school. Prime Time staff knows each child's name. His teacher responds to my requests within 24 hours. My son used to love TV. But now he comes home and starts on crafts projects instead of turning the TV on. They are doing something right. Mrs Peggy is a very reasonable person too. I am not sure why the other parent was so upset.

This is a terrible school in many ways --under poor administration, disorganized, and where a lack of communication between teachers and the principal is prevalent and effects student social and emotional growth as well as learning. Students with special needs are either ignored or allowed to get away with attention seeking behavior. This is so sad because these are the children that need the most support and they need behavior plans that help them understand how to thrive and socially adapt as well as make lifelong friendships in elementary school. These children are mainstreamed with no guidelines, no consistency, and make themselves and others they hurt ashamed when they act out. They are trusting in a faulty system and bad leadership to create a safe and happy environment for them so they can learn effectively. I believe the school would be much better with a principal with a better ability to communicate, a clear idea about each student's needs as there are students with emotional disturbance, autism, etc at the school and there are only 257 kids there so it would mean a lot if the principal knew what she was doing.

My son just finished Kindergarten at Toler, and I was so impressed with his teacher. I sat in on classes, and was amazed at the resources this small public school has from technology, to community members serving as volunteers. I enrolled my son in Prime Time, and they take great care to have quality learning time, as well as recreation and crafts. I also enrolled my 3 year old at the YMCA Toler preschool. We love our experience here, the multiculturalism of the school, the teachers, and the families. Volunteerism at the school is growing too! We love it.

I live in the neighborhood. My children attended this school. I have heard nothing but wonderful things about the staff, Administrator, Mrs Peggy Lewis, parents and students. The neighborhood parents I speak to love this school and everyone who works at this school. If you do enroll your child/children at this school, they will get a wonderful education and have a great educational preparation for middle and high school.

My daughter was here for 2 years the teacher in kinder was really nice and good, the first grade teacher Mrs S is the one I didn't like so much she said some inappropriate comments about some of the kids, and you can see that she didn't have a lot of patience, my daughter one told me that when they were taking the teacher hit the table scream and then go out for counting with her fingers I think that was totally ethic. Then one day she forgot one page of her homework at home and she was really worry, I told her it was ok. and just explained to the teacher and she was almost crying and told me that the teacher was going to be upset and that the teacher was so stress if something like this happen. If you want to talk with the principal about something that bother you, they give you an appointment and the teacher was there all the time they support more the teacher than the children.

Last modified Toler Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.