Posted March 13, 2015
Not the school we first decided to send our child to! Over the time we have been members of this school we have seen changes, and not for the good. The moment we thought things would be better, they upped and fired Principal Moore. There is a HUGE lack of communication from the school and governance board, and even if questions are asked the answers are vague and hold no value or information for parents or students. It has now been over 3 weeks since our principal was let go and no correspondence has been sent home to parents. Many of us found out from our student while others found out via the "rumor" mill. If you want a good school for your kids, do your homework! I can guarantee that once you look into how things are being handled here you will definitely want to choose a better school. We ourselves took the leap and have made this the last year our student will attend this place.
5 people found this helpful

Posted March 07, 2015
What can I say about this school? Absolutely nothing!!! This school has changed drastically since Mrs. Scinski have been gone. The school has deteriorated in teaching style. If I can give this school a zero star I would. So I learned from my child that the new principal, Mr. Moore, was fired. What for? Nobody knows!! Now one may wonder what did this man do to get himself fired from his somewhat new job. I was in shock that I had to get this information from my child, not from the school. Parents should be notified on changes that happen at the school as it may effect our children. Is the Tubman governance board qualified and educated enough to select a principal for our school? Selecting a principal is not a trial and error. If this principal doesn't work out, let's find another one. Now let's talk about the website, school website hasn't been updated. The last governance board minutes was from December 2014. There were posting of upcoming governance board meetings but no posting of outcome. Why? And where did all those new board members go? Did they finally learn the truth and fed up with these incompetent governance board and quit? Parents please beware.
6 people found this helpful

Posted January 05, 2015
I give the school 1 star since they removed my children from the 6 to 6 program the first day of school .They were there until 2 weeks before the school started when they claimed we didn't turn in our forms we try speaking and basically begging to put them in the program and they didn't care giving the fact that I am a mother of 5 with a low income budget. We had a meeting were miss amy and the principal told me they were not going to help me and I told them I will bring the news press they miss amy stood up and yelled in my face in front of my children telling me to get out her school while the principal yelled the same. I got out the school to receive a email telling me my kids could never go back to school. Imagine the feeling I'm not a violent person miss amy has no experience and is very unprofessional. No I'm left with using the last dollar for my kids clothes to pay for child care. For no reason. Way to go tubman because they care.
12 people found this helpful

Posted October 01, 2014
This is my kids second year here and they are continuing to thrive academically.The school has moved towards a positive light. My kids are happy here and that's all that matters. The negative comments posted unfortunately come from former bitter parents that are friends with the former principal. I wouldn't pay much attention.Vindictive remarks or actions have no place in our children's learning sanctuary (or page that reflects negativity and could harm their sanctuary ).

Posted September 05, 2014
As a member of the Rolando Community and a Tubman Parent for 6 yrs I do NOT recommend Harriet Tubman for this Year. The new administration is making drastically changes in which they are hurtful to our children's education. The school is being run by someone with any credentials and the person who is suppose to be the principal is not taking charge as his job is still on Ed join posted. Their interests is not the children or their education. However, I do have to say that there is only two teachers who are worth mentioning; those are the 2nd grade teachers only who have shown dedication and passion for teaching. How do I know this? Because after their was a change in leadership they continued to work as hard for their students. As I mention previously we've been here for years and have children in different grade levels, we know the school well. Parents your nurturing your children now their success, education, future is in your hands!
7 people found this helpful

Posted August 21, 2014
I am extremely pleased with the new principal. He was very approachable and addressed my conserns very quickly after our conversation. Overall, very happy with the school and the administration.

Posted August 09, 2014
As a member of the Rolando Community and a Parent at Tubman with several children for 7yrs I wouldn't recommend this school for this new school year it has took a drastically change to worse with a whole different mentality. How ever I do have to say that this school has an amazing (child) psychologist/counselor to of the best 2nd grade teachers and a great 6th grade teacher. Unfortunately not all are like that and if your a Parent that values the Education of your Children this is not the school to enroll, Your Child's success is in your hands.
7 people found this helpful

Posted August 06, 2014
I think it's funny to keep reading these posts from "parents". It's easy to be judgmental when your anonymous! If you don't like the school or the board TAKE YOUR KIDS AND GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. You will not be a good fit for the school. We just got done dealing with negative people and actions that hurt many. Are you a VOLUNTEER? Have you done anything to better the school this Summer or are you just complaining? Step up rather than speak out. Sounds like this group of people are working tirelessly for the betterment of the school. Negative posts just further hurt the school, which hurts the students. Be informed before you post stuff that hurts over 380 students and staff members - these posts are rumor and gossip based and nothing more. Be the solution and not another problem.

Posted August 06, 2014
This is going to be a wonderful school year! I understand that people have concerns and anxiety with the change in administration, but I think we all need to consider how much the benefits outweigh these concerns. After teaching at this school for many years, I am thrilled to see that almost every single teacher has returned for the 2014-2015 school year. This alone means that the students will benefit from consistency, that teachers are more experienced with their grade level and curriculum, that the school with save time and money not having to train so many new teachers, and that the students will get to see the teachers they have grown to love when they return in mid-August. I know change is difficult, and the unknown comes with a lot of stress, but with patience and perseverance, I am confident that this will be our best year yet!

Harriet Tubman Village Charter School 5

Posted August 05, 2014
Over the past year+ we have seen a lot of changes with staffing and the Governance Board which has been all for the better. The new board members have been sure to include parents as best as possible in finding a new principal and in changes in and around the school. I see a new year starting off strongly for the kids, which is the most important thing we need right now. I hope that this new year brings more parent involvement, which I have seen lacking greatly over the past year. Between stronger parent involvement, an informed board and new principal we will be a school like no other! Looking forward to what the 2014-15 school year has to bring and the continuance of learning excellence that my child has definitely received.

Harriet Tubman Village Charter School
6880 Mohawk Street, San Diego, CA  92115
Last modified Harriet Tubman Village Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Harriet Tubman Village Charter School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 45 reviews. Top