Posted January 05, 2015
I give the school 1 star since they removed my children from the 6 to 6 program the first day of school .They were there until 2 weeks before the school started when they claimed we didn't turn in our forms we try speaking and basically begging to put them in the program and they didn't care giving the fact that I am a mother of 5 with a low income budget. We had a meeting were miss amy and the principal told me they were not going to help me and I told them I will bring the news press they miss amy stood up and yelled in my face in front of my children telling me to get out her school while the principal yelled the same. I got out the school to receive a email telling me my kids could never go back to school. Imagine the feeling I'm not a violent person miss amy has no experience and is very unprofessional. No I'm left with using the last dollar for my kids clothes to pay for child care. For no reason. Way to go tubman because they care.
6 people found this helpful

Posted October 01, 2014
This is my kids second year here and they are continuing to thrive academically.The school has moved towards a positive light. My kids are happy here and that's all that matters. The negative comments posted unfortunately come from former bitter parents that are friends with the former principal. I wouldn't pay much attention.Vindictive remarks or actions have no place in our children's learning sanctuary (or page that reflects negativity and could harm their sanctuary ).

Posted September 05, 2014
As a member of the Rolando Community and a Tubman Parent for 6 yrs I do NOT recommend Harriet Tubman for this Year. The new administration is making drastically changes in which they are hurtful to our children's education. The school is being run by someone with any credentials and the person who is suppose to be the principal is not taking charge as his job is still on Ed join posted. Their interests is not the children or their education. However, I do have to say that there is only two teachers who are worth mentioning; those are the 2nd grade teachers only who have shown dedication and passion for teaching. How do I know this? Because after their was a change in leadership they continued to work as hard for their students. As I mention previously we've been here for years and have children in different grade levels, we know the school well. Parents your nurturing your children now their success, education, future is in your hands!
3 people found this helpful

Posted August 21, 2014
I am extremely pleased with the new principal. He was very approachable and addressed my conserns very quickly after our conversation. Overall, very happy with the school and the administration.

Posted August 09, 2014
As a member of the Rolando Community and a Parent at Tubman with several children for 7yrs I wouldn't recommend this school for this new school year it has took a drastically change to worse with a whole different mentality. How ever I do have to say that this school has an amazing (child) psychologist/counselor to of the best 2nd grade teachers and a great 6th grade teacher. Unfortunately not all are like that and if your a Parent that values the Education of your Children this is not the school to enroll, Your Child's success is in your hands.
4 people found this helpful

Posted August 06, 2014
I think it's funny to keep reading these posts from "parents". It's easy to be judgmental when your anonymous! If you don't like the school or the board TAKE YOUR KIDS AND GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. You will not be a good fit for the school. We just got done dealing with negative people and actions that hurt many. Are you a VOLUNTEER? Have you done anything to better the school this Summer or are you just complaining? Step up rather than speak out. Sounds like this group of people are working tirelessly for the betterment of the school. Negative posts just further hurt the school, which hurts the students. Be informed before you post stuff that hurts over 380 students and staff members - these posts are rumor and gossip based and nothing more. Be the solution and not another problem.

Posted August 06, 2014
This is going to be a wonderful school year! I understand that people have concerns and anxiety with the change in administration, but I think we all need to consider how much the benefits outweigh these concerns. After teaching at this school for many years, I am thrilled to see that almost every single teacher has returned for the 2014-2015 school year. This alone means that the students will benefit from consistency, that teachers are more experienced with their grade level and curriculum, that the school with save time and money not having to train so many new teachers, and that the students will get to see the teachers they have grown to love when they return in mid-August. I know change is difficult, and the unknown comes with a lot of stress, but with patience and perseverance, I am confident that this will be our best year yet!

Harriet Tubman Village Charter School 5

Posted August 05, 2014
Over the past year+ we have seen a lot of changes with staffing and the Governance Board which has been all for the better. The new board members have been sure to include parents as best as possible in finding a new principal and in changes in and around the school. I see a new year starting off strongly for the kids, which is the most important thing we need right now. I hope that this new year brings more parent involvement, which I have seen lacking greatly over the past year. Between stronger parent involvement, an informed board and new principal we will be a school like no other! Looking forward to what the 2014-15 school year has to bring and the continuance of learning excellence that my child has definitely received.

Posted August 04, 2014
This school was better off with our principal Scinski. I have the need to remove my children from this school. I highly recommend that you informed yourself about a lot of stuff going on. Questions to ask: Why is it that the principal or intern principal have to notify the board to make a approval for children's safety and education? What will happen of there's an emergency at school? , would they have to wait for a yes or a no to proceed. What happen to PTC Money? Where's all the documents of minutes and money raised? Why was the librarian fired ? What proofs did they have to get rid of this new lady? What proof do they have for firing the principal? Are they trying their best to make this school look good to impress you or the students. Lots of changes have been made over the summer, LOOK OUT for your Child/ren's safety and education. I highly recommend that you also ask for board meeting minutes. Why are these two ladies board members president and Vice President taking over without any credentials or experience in taking over a school that had lots money when the school ended 2013-2014.

Posted August 04, 2014
This school was once a great environment for students. However, these last couple of months have definitely changed the whole atmosphere and that is 100% due to the two board members who "handle" everything. Students are now exposed to nonstop gossip from these board members and now the few teachers who follow the "leaders" example. The two that are now in charge of the school make decisions that they are not qualified to make! Which completely brought the school's budget, atmosphere, and staff down. The board has become power hungry and now even treat (certain) staff with disrespect. Being a parent and having your child come home crying because she believes her favorite staff may quite because of board members taking advantage of them and being filled with power is upsetting. Honestly keep your child safe from all the hurt and go a different direction. Or wait until certain board members are removed because this school is likely to go under investigation AGAIN. I know I am going straight to the district for help.

Harriet Tubman Village Charter School
6880 Mohawk Street, San Diego, CA  92115
Last modified Harriet Tubman Village Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Harriet Tubman Village Charter School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 43 reviews. Top