Bad
Good

The Principal does not listen but mostly talks in generalities and finds it easier to excuse the unprofessional behavior of some the teachers than take any real action. I used to think that this was a pretty good school but now see less and less accountability in some of the teachers and our school is on a downward path. I agree with the parent who mentioned that there are always excuses involving the SDUSD or Unions for what has now become the normal annual failure to get class schedules resolved before the start of the first semester. Other schools do not have such major issues and it is frustrating to hear the Principal congratulate school staff for working hard to fix these problems after some weeks of a disruption that could have been avoided. Two scandals at UCHS were reported to the press this last year because some parents lack faith in this administration to address issues of student well-being. They now run assemblies on internet safety and bullying but lack any real concern. I have seen school staff informed about an internet site that showed a UCHS student potentially at risk but no-one in the administration prepared to get involved.

Our son is a freshman and we were very excited for him to get attend UC High. There are some great teachers and it seems to be a good school. We have had a rocky start however. Our son had no teacher for the first 6 weeks of Spanish. the Principal, Jeff Olivero, gave us a lengthy explanation of district bureaucracy and union challenges at back to school night which just made the situation worse. The JV Soccer coach was brought in at the last minute, is clearly not very experienced with soccer and is not a child educator.

My daughter is a junior during the 2013/2014 year. We have been very pleased with the challenges presented by the AP and honor classes, and the growth in the music program, and the tremendous experiences available in sports for both girls and boys. Parents are incredibly involved in both the music and athletic scenes, and we plan to send our youngest daughter here as well.

We just transferred to the SDUSD and weren't sure what to expect. My child did well in middle school and is doing well as a freshman. My child is adv classes and the Biomed pgm, but still wishes the classes faster paced.My child does wish that some teachers would actually teach and not rely on handouts. I like the fact that football doesn't over shadow campus life or other sports. I like the fact the school has a diverse student body. So far we like the school, but we have 3 more years.

UC High was and still after more than 20 years a great school. If this is real and I am very sure, this is a result of real public investment in education. We must focus on these facts. 20 years ago UC High was a great school, and now still a great school. Whatever people say it will not change my idea of good public investment in education, dedication and commitment of the people who work to keep this great school.

The teachers look just nice but they are not very supportive and caring. I was very disappointed.

I am grateful for the education that l received at UC, it really helped to make into a successful adult.

My daughter transitioned into this school the latter part of last year. She has found the school culturally challenged. To say it clearer, diversity is not embraced by the staff or the students. For this reason, my child who is in the GATE/SEMINAR program at UCHS does not feel her experience is the best. As a parent, I can say that I agree with her because my experience has been quite questionable. If you are minority seeking a great school for your son or daughter, you might want to think twice before you enroll your child at this school. FYI, the best teacher ranks okay and the worst is clearly one who does not offer encouragement to the student. In summary, we as her parents have come to realize that this is not the best place for our child to be.

My son is in 10th grade. For the first time in many years he is experiencing success as he deals with issues of being a Seminar student lacking motivation to succeed. He had the chance to switch schools early last year but decided that this school was providing for him with what he needed to succeed. I agree! Teachers understand his needs and work to support him, not to demean him. They work with his strengths not against them. My son thrives because of their support.

My child attended this school for her freshmen and sophmore year. It was a good social environment but the teachers were not involved enough and the students all came from drug backrounds. It wasnt a good place to put my child in.

Last modified University City High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.