San Diego, CA
Before care: Yes

Posted September 29, 2014
If you can avoid sending your child to Walker, it is highly recommended you do so. The principal is terrible, does not listen to concerns, and seems to be on a power trip. I tried multiple times to talk to the principal to help with issues my son was having there to no avail. The teachers take their cue from the principal and don't care about parent input. They will dictate and act like they are the parents of your child and if you don't like it, you can go to another school (the principal actually said that to me). There are only a few male staff members at the school and the teachers do not know how to deal with boys. They will make their life miserable. My youngest son in now there and is having problems, getting in trouble daily for the most trivial things and having his recess taken away almost every day (twice a day). I will be taking my son out and moving to another school. Stay away from this school if you can.

Walker Elementary School 5

Posted August 10, 2014
My son completed Kindergarten at this school and I have the highest possible praise for Mrs. Silentwater that did an excellent job with my son.

Posted October 28, 2013
This is a horrible school. If you have the option, go to Ericson. The teachers are pretty good and my son seems to like them. The Principal is awful and only cares about collecting a paycheck.

Posted September 24, 2012
I am impressed with the teachers at this school. They are strict and focused on the children and their education. This is a school for learning, of course they aren't allowed to run around. That is a safety issue and I'm ok with that. My children go to school to learn not exercise they play at home. The administration department could use a class in organization. Overall this school is a great school of diversity, learning, and children focused. Principal is new, but improvement takes time.

Posted July 01, 2011
This is the dumbest school in the world! i came here only for a month and hated it. DONT SEND YOUR KIDS HERE.

Posted February 28, 2011
This is a great school with a highly diverse population; many students are English language learners, which is probably a significant factor in why test scores may be low. The teachers are caring and committed, as is the principal. I have enjoyed being involved in our neighborhood school, and I wish that more parents would become involved as well,

Posted February 15, 2010
I am NOT happy with Walker and have not been for the past 2 years. My child has special needs that just don't ever seem to met to the level my child needs even though we have had several meetings to spell those needs out to the school. I feel bad for the teachers that have large classes because it seems as if kids that need more help just fall through the cracks. The principal doesn't listen, the school board doesn't listen... I'm extremely frustrated at the school and the fact that I can't chose a different school for my child.

Posted February 15, 2010
The new principal has now been there long enough for some of her changes to have a positive effect. She seems to be really concerned that the students are learning & that her staff take an engaging approach to teaching. She seems to be able to fairly identify parents that need to be more active in their child's learning & discipline and teachers that need to modify teaching methods to learning styles. If there were more positive parent involvement this school could easily go to 5 stars.

Posted November 02, 2009
This is my Son's 3rd year at Walker and I have see so many changes and am so proud we stuck it out. The Principle has been consistant and follows through with her word, She supports the Teachers, Staff and Parents 110% and in return, the School is doing amazing! I am a proud Parent of a Walker Elmementary 4th grader!

Posted May 08, 2009
The new principal seems to be carefully summing up existing policies & problems. Too bad parents with negative comments either have not come to her with concerns and/or don't understand some of the constraints principals have regarding policies. Her hands are tied with so much of the 'No child left behind' requirements and staff that is resistant to change after having a really horrible prior administration. Things are changing for the better slowly. What does need to change for schools with discipline problems & students with low grades is for parents to be more responsible for their child s behavior and education. If parents don t reinforce what is taught in school why should their child feel what they do in school matters?

Walker Elementary School
9225 Hillery Drive, San Diego, CA  92126
Last modified Walker Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5
Walker Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top