Wangenheim Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1002 students

Broad and challenging curriculum with an extensive range of electives

Posted December 4, 2013

I am a 6th grader at this school, and so far, it has been Wonderful! All of my teachers are very nice and you rarely ever get bullied. Plus, they provide very fun games and cool music for both lunches two times a week.They also have a great music program and I love it!

Posted November 20, 2013

I just moved to Mira Mesa this summer and I was very worried about the things I have heard about Mira Mesa and there schools. But truth be told, I was worried over nothing. My son just started Wangenheim this year for 7th grade. Its a great school. The teachers are nice and very helpful. The after school club he joined is a lot of fun and he looks forward going to it each week and as a parent I enjoy going to the monthly coffee with the principal. I would highly recommend Wangenheim. Its a wonderful school in a amazing family oriented city. I'm glad we moved here.

Posted August 5, 2013

I love this school. Wangenheim has a great capability in making students have an interest in their academics. The staff here make this school even more fun than it already is. The campus is big and spacey, people barely bump into each other. They have music and cool activities during lunch every week!

Posted July 17, 2013

I am (now) a former student from Wangenheim. This school is GREAT! There is no old-school upper class men privileges. Bullying is a rare occurrence. We have a no-tolerence policy for bullying. We have sports activities, unlike Challenger. We have many fun events. We also have an outstanding music program. We take pride in that. We also have a lot of athletes, the school made sure that everyone was at their full potential. I absolutely LOVE the teachers! The teachers made sure we exiled and that we we were at our full potential. Many of the teachers have been there for awhile now, and they know how things work. There are no teachers that just go by the textbook. All the teachers like to be interactive. The last thing i'd like to say is that the school has the most ridiculous dress-code. Things that annoyed me were: thicker than 3-inch straps, leggings or tights under dresses that are down to your knee, no sheer or lace tops (even if we are wearing a tank under). I hated that on the very cold or warm days, suddenly we can wear beanies, wear our sheer tops, etc. Regardless, I still really like this school and I'll miss it. Mira Mesa, here i come!

Posted February 28, 2012

I have had two children attend Wangenheim. The curriculum is challenging but manageable. There is a good mix of experienced, enthusiastic teachers and newer, enthusiastic teachers. The school offers a larger selection of electives than most middle schools. There are opportunities for parents to interact with the teachers that other schools don't have such as Shadow a Student Day and Family Math Night. At Orientation, the student receives a copy of his/ her schedule and may visit the classroom and teacher before school begins. The staff encourages the parents to be involved.

Posted January 22, 2012

I am currently a student at Wangenheim I love it here, I have been going here for the last 2years and can't wait for my 8 th grade year. I was never bullied here and it is very easy to make friends. Me coming from a miltary family, most of the cjildren that do go here either are miltary children or live in the area.Most teachers are pretty cool and nice and do care about our academics. I am very happy my parents chides for me to go here instead of Marshall or Challnger.

Posted December 12, 2011

Wangenheim, like other schools, are hit hard by the budget cuts. I think they do a real good job with what they have. I have a 6th and 8th grader and they love going to school. This age is hard for kids and when your children love to go to school and want to learn...that's all a parent wants. The activities, PTSA and teachers are great. This a good school and I would recommend it.

Posted August 23, 2010

Wangenheim is a great school. Given the fact it's in a low-income area, the education provided is quite phenomenal. The majority of teachers at this school are well-experienced and contain a full knowledge of California standards. They'll teach your children many things. In the process, they'll learn the material they need to while they learn must-needed high school study habits. The school's leadership/administration only have in mind what's best for the students of this school. The main focus of the administration are basically teaching your children to reach their full potential. The academic programs at Wangenheim are one of the bests I've seen. Their gifted & talented program is very impressive. The teachers for the GATE program are definitely notable. This school is definitely one I would highly recommend to parents.

Posted July 13, 2010

Wangenheim is a horrible school! I was an 8th grader and as soon as I got in, I wanted out. I came in as a new 8th grader and was bullied my first week and it only got worse as time went by. The bullying and lack of diversity is the worst of any school I've been to. The administration does absolutely nothing to help. A specific name of the worst administator is VP Carmi Strom. He is the worst VP I have ever had. He gave attitude and resolved none of my bullying problems. I eventually was transferred to Challenger and I must say it was an amazing school after experiencing Wangenheim. If you're thinking about enrolling your kid in Wangenheim...DON'T. Challenger is so much better!!!

Posted April 5, 2010

If i see someone get hit by a bully the bully doesnt get suspended! im in 6th...

Posted May 25, 2009

i happen to go to wangenheim its a very nice school. i don't get bullied and im i 6th grade and i already think its great. i can't wait for next year!i am in beg. choir and its been soo fun! though my teachers are saying the school is low on money so we cant go on trips the much. but that's ok because its easy to make friends also the teachers understand you.

Posted April 26, 2009

I agree. That is the biggest lie ever. Wangenheim does have bullies but, are not being ignored by the administrators. It is the student's choice weather or not to report these incidents. Also, those students who have free or reduced lunch, aren't exactly at the bottom of the school's 'Social Pyramid', about maybe, a quarter of the school has free or reduced lunch. And, this '8th Grade Privilege' thing, is very rare, almost non-existent. I've never had it happen to me or seen it happen & it is my second year at Wangenheim. And, the principal does all he can to stop bullying. At school, the administrators almost every single day, enforce a no bullying rule. The bully knows that they can get a suspension. And the teachers, oh my gosh, the majority of them are every parent's dream. They, take their time with us & provide individual help if needed.

Posted March 25, 2009

even as a parent, there have been a lot of uncontrollable bullying, my son has been picked on and i tell the principal all he does is fill out a paper and the bully quiets down for 2 months and then starts harassing my son again, this school is very very bad school

Posted March 14, 2009

That is the biggest lie ever. I happen to go to Wangenheim and the 8th graders bully sometimes but not always. Our school has great dicipline. The teachers teach perfect like they put their mind in our places. The school is great!

Posted September 29, 2008

I am compelled to comment on the seminar program at Wangenheim not only because of the high quality of the program. but also because of the very evident interest the teachers have for the students. The program is one that engages the students and challenges their potential to be creative and insightful. Teachers seem to really know the students' potential and take an interest in them on an individual basis. The program has had a positive reputation for quite some time and has very evidently maintained it!!

Posted September 28, 2008

The bullying at this school is out of control and largely ignored by the adminstrators. '8th Grade Privilege' is the norm, so younger students get treated badly by older students with no consequences. Student who get free or reduced price lunches are singled out in a special lunch line. Why not put a sign on the kids' backs that says, 'Kick me'? The academics are great, but the social problems are enough to outweigh that.

Posted June 3, 2008

I love all my teachers, I have a great time there too! The school is just the right size and the only thing i dont like about it is some of the kids are mean, but thats not the schools fault!

Posted May 9, 2008

good teachers, good principal nuff' said

Posted September 13, 2007

Wangenheim Middle School is one of the best schools in San Diego, It has great teachers, a great band, and a really good PE program. I am an 8th grader at this school and I am going to be sad to leave.

Posted August 14, 2006

Wangenheim is a good school. As a former student I enjoyed the the classes very much. Mrs. Ault, Mrs. Vanderhurst, and Mr. Hickman are great teachers. Their seminar classes helped me to grow as a student. However, Wangenheim has been hit with grafitti a couple of times. This school will help academically and will help the student to be aware of their friends.
—Submitted by a former student

This school's

(2012)

8 / 10

9 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

8 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

9 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

294 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

295 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

30 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

296 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

266 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

168 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

302 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

120 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

27 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

319 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

304 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students75%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)77%
Parent education - college graduate72%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate75%
Parent education - declined to state67%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students48%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Tutor(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Speech and language therapist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff German
Spanish
Tagalog
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Matthew Fallon
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Gifted / high performing
  • Project-based
  • STEM
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • German
Extra learning resources offered
  • Counseling
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
  • Tutoring
Transportation options
  • Accessible via public transportation
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Industrial shop
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council

Visit

Middle school

Finding the right school

How to apply

Does this school have an application or enrollment process?

Planning Ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Mira Mesa High School