Washington Elementary School

Public | K-5

We weave the theme of international citizenship throughout the curriculum.

Living in San Diego

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $326,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,380.

Posted November 27, 2013

I really don't have a problem with the families and children. I have a problem with the rude staff and fake principal. If there is a problem with the school, they will turn the table and make the victim become the issue of the school. They sweep problems under the carpet in order to protect their reputation. The principal is manipulative and labels children. She will diagnose children without proper credentials. A parent was told that her child should be assessed. The principal told the parents in front of the child. I have no idea why they kept her in this school. The child now has self-esteem issues. I feel the Principal planted that negative seed in the child's mind and now the child believes that she is not like the other children. I know this family and it is heartbreaking. I wonder how many kids are stuck in a stigma now, due to an assessment made by this Principal. I hope someone looks deep into this school and questions parents. I have heard many horror stories. One girl was called fat everyday. The parents requested a conference. The school staff made it seem like it was the bullied child's fault and parents fault for not teaching their child to be strong minded.

Posted November 24, 2013

Horrible, there are bullies in this school. The administrative staff tends to find ways to cover it up and find excuses to save face. It is sad that many downtown parents have to find schools outside of our own jurisdiction. We live here, work here and pay the local taxes for our local school. Yet, we have to find charters and go on wait lists or choice out. This school receives a lot of good funding and has good partnerships with local businesses. Why can't they manage the issues at this school. Maybe they should hire a new principal. Many parents have had an issue with the principal.

Posted August 31, 2013

This local elementary school is filled with amazing teachers & the enrichment classes they offer are amazing. Our daughter was in the Transitional Kindergarten (TK) program and we can't say more great things about our lovely neighborhood school. We mostly loved the fact that the students had 40 minutes of Spanish (or optional Italian or additional English is necessary) 4 days a week!!! Along with weekly music lessons, computer classes as well as PE and running club!...all during the normal school day! The TK program has been an amazing learning experience for our daughter, both socially as well as academically - teaching her to read, write & do simple math, along with a ton of play time...all before entering Kindergarten! Washington Elementary also has a great SAY subsidized preschool attached to it - which is great if you have a little one (over 3 & potty trained) that you want to prep for school.

Posted June 5, 2013

This is a friendly, and enriching neighborhood school with a particularly strong transitional kindergarten program. It is a diverse school. I see this as a positive attribute. My son's class included kids from Japanese, Saudi Arabian, Iranian, Native American, British, and Italian families in addition to several hispanic families. The school celebrates this diversity and offers an good language program with 40 minutes language instruction (currently choice of Spanish or Italian) 4 days a week from TK onwards. English as a second language is an alternative for those that need it. I also like the music program; and the computer classes - not just playing games - our TK-ers now type with two hands! Specifically for TK there are lessons on empathy and getting on with other kids, and a fun atmosphere with time for playing together and forming friendships. The staff are caring and the school is in a great location in the heart of Little Italy and is well connected with the community (one issue: parking! Come early for pickup or be prepared to pay at the meters).

Posted December 12, 2012

Washington Elementary is an excellent school. We absolutely love their overall approach to keeping a focused, academic environment that discourages many of the distractions and/or inappropriate dress/behavior that seems so easily overlooked by parents and schools. Having two older children and experience with elementary schools, the curriculum is advanced with our kindergartener having the option of Spanish or Italian as a foreign language! Having spent time in the classroom during school, I got firsthand experience with my child's teacher. She has extensive experience and it is very apparent in her approach. After our one-on-one parent/teacher conference, I had a clear idea of daily routine and was most impressed with the structure provided. Our child attends the SAY After School Program and doesn't want to leave each day because he loves it! I feel very well-informed of my child's progress, as well, with daily behavior cards and a homework folder. He's 5 and reading and writing! There is a friendly, cheerful staff and I can't say enough good about this school. I am not easily impressed. As a parent, I have the utmost confidence that our boy is in the best of care.

Posted November 9, 2012

I am the new School Psychologist at Washington Elementary this year. I have worked at many schools in the district as well as schools in other districts. This is a wonderful and unique school located in a beautiful area. The school supports the culture and history of the area by offering the rare opportunity to take Italian and Spanish classes. However, Washington is not without challenges being located near Down Town. We serve a large population of homeless children and the staff goes out of their way to help support student and family needs. School gates close after school starts and all visitors are required to sign in for security purposes. This school has a very friendly, highly competent and diverse staff who speak many languages. The School offers the family Friday s program and listens to parent feedback and suggestions. I really don't know how anyone could give this school a bad rating. If I could give 6 stars I would. Sincerely, Felicia.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 8, 2011

I have two children in this school. The other day a neighbor came up to my children (their native language is English) and said good morning to the kids in Spanish. My children translated the Spanish into Italian and responded to my neighbor in Italian. The foreign language instruction is fantastic. Additionally, my kids actually complain when I pick them up from the after school programs because they don't want to leave for the day and love school so much. Most importantly, I feel that the staff and teachers value both education and life lessons for the kids. With foreing language instruction, a beautiful interactive garden, and many enrichment programs, I feel that the school provides a well balanced and global education. The well balanced education serves the kids well and is important to ensure that the kids grow up both intelligent, but also with responsible and community oriented values.

Posted March 14, 2011

I am the principal of Washington Elementary School. We have made many new changes such as 10 ft wronght iron fencing surrounding the school and a new front office entrance that allows us to secure the entire school during the school day. All visitors must enter directly into the front office to sign in. We share Amici Park with the San Diego Park and Recreation Department. The public uses the park after school hours. Currently, we are working with the Little Italy Association in building a dog park on the south end of the grass area. Children will have a safe and clean place to play, as well as our neighborhood dogs. Call me at (619) 525-7475 to make an appointment to see our new school! Janie Wardlow

Posted October 27, 2010

My 3rd grader was bullied every day because she couldn't speak spanish. The office staff has no idea what they are doing. No security, gates left open, homeless people walking though, college kids tanning, and dogs using the bathroom in the school's one grassy area. Wrote a check to the PTO in June, it got deposited in September.

Posted May 19, 2009

Out of the 4 schools my daughter has attended this was the best school. I loved everything about it. It was the best school experience she has had so far. I wish we still lived near this school.

Posted December 16, 2008

My child is in kindergarten and so far I've been delighted with Washington Elementary. Our teacher is kind, motivational and organized; our new principal has taken on challenging long-term goals (e.g. bringing up test scores, site improvement projects) and achieved short-term wins (e.g. Spanish lessons for English speakers, English lessons for Spanish speakers); our PTO is supported by committed and dedicated parents. We've got a good thing going and we're only getting better.

Posted June 16, 2008

This past school year has seen many changes - all for the best. We have really enjoyed the addition of art, PE and drama to our campus. We have also seen a dramatic increase in parent involvement and community partnerships. We did experience some difficulties at the beginning of the school year due a poorly implemented program, but it has only made the school stronger with the formation of an incredible leadership team resulting in the identification of solid academic and vocational goals. My daughter has just completed the 5th grade with the great honor of receiving the President's Award for Academic Excellence. I now look forward to my second grader being treated to the same high standard of education. I encourage you to come visit us at Washington. We are a wonderful warm and nurturing community school.

Posted January 27, 2008

The Harborside Program is a great program(07/08). The teachers are the best.

Posted December 18, 2007

This school has been nothing but a dissapointment. There are no extras and the teachers seem eager to leave early. There are several serious issues that have yet to be addressed the 'open campus', behavioral, and absolutley no extras.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted December 17, 2007

The merger between the Harborside Program and Washington has been very dissapointing.

Posted June 27, 2007

Washington has been a great place for my very young, but talented little girl. She is now entering the 2nd grade reading above her level. She has grown by leaps and bounds with the caring attention that has been given to her education and individual creativity. This school has been a wonderful addition to our family!

Posted June 27, 2007

Washington is the gem of Little Italy! Parents and teachers are very diverse and sensitive to the unique school culture Washington has to offer. It's a school where you feel a part of the school family.

Posted June 9, 2007

The merger between Harborside and Washington will be amazing! Ms. De la Pena the Kinder teacher focuses on the individuality of each child and helps them learn in a nurturing environment. My daughter is reading and confident in a classroom environment! Parents are involved and actively looking for ways to make the school better.

Posted August 24, 2006

The preschool program at this school is great! Ms. Garcia is Very caring, respectful and responsible and cares about her students education and making sure they excel. Good Job!

Posted September 15, 2004

I am very happy with this school. My kids have made some great friends, and the teachers have all been very knowledgeable, and friendly. The school has many after school and before school programs for students and parents. I am also very happy with the 6-6 staff.

This school's

(2012)

2 / 10

1 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school did not meet its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

2 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

1 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

55 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

All Students52%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Computer specialist(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Gardening teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
School psychologist
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Garden/Greenhouse
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

School start time
  • 8:15 am
School end time
  • 2:35 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • David Crum
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (619) 231-3562

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• International Studies
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Dance

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom

Visit

Elementary school

How to apply

Does this school have an application or enrollment process?

Planning Ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Roosevelt Middle School