San Diego, CA
Before care: Yes

Posted November 27, 2013
I really don't have a problem with the families and children. I have a problem with the rude staff and fake principal. If there is a problem with the school, they will turn the table and make the victim become the issue of the school. They sweep problems under the carpet in order to protect their reputation. The principal is manipulative and labels children. She will diagnose children without proper credentials. A parent was told that her child should be assessed. The principal told the parents in front of the child. I have no idea why they kept her in this school. The child now has self-esteem issues. I feel the Principal planted that negative seed in the child's mind and now the child believes that she is not like the other children. I know this family and it is heartbreaking. I wonder how many kids are stuck in a stigma now, due to an assessment made by this Principal. I hope someone looks deep into this school and questions parents. I have heard many horror stories. One girl was called fat everyday. The parents requested a conference. The school staff made it seem like it was the bullied child's fault and parents fault for not teaching their child to be strong minded.

Posted November 24, 2013
Horrible, there are bullies in this school. The administrative staff tends to find ways to cover it up and find excuses to save face. It is sad that many downtown parents have to find schools outside of our own jurisdiction. We live here, work here and pay the local taxes for our local school. Yet, we have to find charters and go on wait lists or choice out. This school receives a lot of good funding and has good partnerships with local businesses. Why can't they manage the issues at this school. Maybe they should hire a new principal. Many parents have had an issue with the principal.

Posted August 31, 2013
This local elementary school is filled with amazing teachers & the enrichment classes they offer are amazing. Our daughter was in the Transitional Kindergarten (TK) program and we can't say more great things about our lovely neighborhood school. We mostly loved the fact that the students had 40 minutes of Spanish (or optional Italian or additional English is necessary) 4 days a week!!! Along with weekly music lessons, computer classes as well as PE and running club!...all during the normal school day! The TK program has been an amazing learning experience for our daughter, both socially as well as academically - teaching her to read, write & do simple math, along with a ton of play time...all before entering Kindergarten! Washington Elementary also has a great SAY subsidized preschool attached to it - which is great if you have a little one (over 3 & potty trained) that you want to prep for school.

Posted June 05, 2013
This is a friendly, and enriching neighborhood school with a particularly strong transitional kindergarten program. It is a diverse school. I see this as a positive attribute. My son's class included kids from Japanese, Saudi Arabian, Iranian, Native American, British, and Italian families in addition to several hispanic families. The school celebrates this diversity and offers an good language program with 40 minutes language instruction (currently choice of Spanish or Italian) 4 days a week from TK onwards. English as a second language is an alternative for those that need it. I also like the music program; and the computer classes - not just playing games - our TK-ers now type with two hands! Specifically for TK there are lessons on empathy and getting on with other kids, and a fun atmosphere with time for playing together and forming friendships. The staff are caring and the school is in a great location in the heart of Little Italy and is well connected with the community (one issue: parking! Come early for pickup or be prepared to pay at the meters).

Posted December 12, 2012
Washington Elementary is an excellent school. We absolutely love their overall approach to keeping a focused, academic environment that discourages many of the distractions and/or inappropriate dress/behavior that seems so easily overlooked by parents and schools. Having two older children and experience with elementary schools, the curriculum is advanced with our kindergartener having the option of Spanish or Italian as a foreign language! Having spent time in the classroom during school, I got firsthand experience with my child's teacher. She has extensive experience and it is very apparent in her approach. After our one-on-one parent/teacher conference, I had a clear idea of daily routine and was most impressed with the structure provided. Our child attends the SAY After School Program and doesn't want to leave each day because he loves it! I feel very well-informed of my child's progress, as well, with daily behavior cards and a homework folder. He's 5 and reading and writing! There is a friendly, cheerful staff and I can't say enough good about this school. I am not easily impressed. As a parent, I have the utmost confidence that our boy is in the best of care.

Posted November 09, 2012
I am the new School Psychologist at Washington Elementary this year. I have worked at many schools in the district as well as schools in other districts. This is a wonderful and unique school located in a beautiful area. The school supports the culture and history of the area by offering the rare opportunity to take Italian and Spanish classes. However, Washington is not without challenges being located near Down Town. We serve a large population of homeless children and the staff goes out of their way to help support student and family needs. School gates close after school starts and all visitors are required to sign in for security purposes. This school has a very friendly, highly competent and diverse staff who speak many languages. The School offers the family Friday s program and listens to parent feedback and suggestions. I really don't know how anyone could give this school a bad rating. If I could give 6 stars I would. Sincerely, Felicia.

Posted April 08, 2011
I have two children in this school. The other day a neighbor came up to my children (their native language is English) and said good morning to the kids in Spanish. My children translated the Spanish into Italian and responded to my neighbor in Italian. The foreign language instruction is fantastic. Additionally, my kids actually complain when I pick them up from the after school programs because they don't want to leave for the day and love school so much. Most importantly, I feel that the staff and teachers value both education and life lessons for the kids. With foreing language instruction, a beautiful interactive garden, and many enrichment programs, I feel that the school provides a well balanced and global education. The well balanced education serves the kids well and is important to ensure that the kids grow up both intelligent, but also with responsible and community oriented values.

Washington Elementary School 4

Posted March 14, 2011
I am the principal of Washington Elementary School. We have made many new changes such as 10 ft wronght iron fencing surrounding the school and a new front office entrance that allows us to secure the entire school during the school day. All visitors must enter directly into the front office to sign in. We share Amici Park with the San Diego Park and Recreation Department. The public uses the park after school hours. Currently, we are working with the Little Italy Association in building a dog park on the south end of the grass area. Children will have a safe and clean place to play, as well as our neighborhood dogs. Call me at (619) 525-7475 to make an appointment to see our new school! Janie Wardlow

Posted October 27, 2010
My 3rd grader was bullied every day because she couldn't speak spanish. The office staff has no idea what they are doing. No security, gates left open, homeless people walking though, college kids tanning, and dogs using the bathroom in the school's one grassy area. Wrote a check to the PTO in June, it got deposited in September.

Posted February 15, 2010

Washington Elementary School
1789 State Street, San Diego, CA  92101
Last modified Washington Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Washington Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top