San Diego, CA
Before care: Yes

Posted October 20, 2014
This school is amazing. The teachers are great, caring and are all about making a difference. The office staff is wonderful. This school is the only one in the entire district that offers an oral program for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing.

Posted April 27, 2014
Whitman is a great school with caring teachers who are making a difference in my child. I special love the extra curricular activities school offers, like an Annie's Art School and Music Villa and Heartlight classes. It is a great place where parents and teachers can offer their students a highly motivated learning environment. Thank you Whitman!

Posted April 11, 2014
Whitman Elementary is a highly diverse kindergarten through sixth grade school. It has a dedicated staff and very caring teachers. It also has an outstanding music program. All students receive one hour a week instruction in grade level standards based music. Third graders get extra music instruction for learning to play recorders. Fifth and sixth grade students receive a second hour each week for instrumental music. Students also have the opportunity to participate in Villa Musica, an after-school instrumental music program for further instruction and practice. The Whitman PTA puts on Family Science and Literacy Nights, Family Movie Nights, a Spring Fiesta, and more. Our school could be made even better if we could bolster parent participation in the PTA and school functions.

Posted April 09, 2014
Whitman Elementary, a great neighborhood school in North Clairemont. I have four children who have attended Whitman. The dedication of the teachers is spectacular and they truly care about each student. For my family, attending a small neighborhood school, where my child can be a stand out student and I am invited to volunteer and be a part of the school community is very important. Whitman is a STEM school, Science, Technology, Engineering and Math the abilities needed in todays world. Whitman also has a Music program, an After School Music enrichment program; Villa Musica and Annie's Art School, a great afterschool program for aspiring artists. The PTA is very active. They hold events such as Science Nights, Family Nights and various community outreach events such as the Spring Fiesta this Friday, April 11th with a Salsa contest.. Whitman also has a Deaf and Hard of Hearing program, which specializes in the Oral DHH program from the age of 3. Overall Whitman is a great neighborhood school, with caring Teachers and staff. If you would like your student to attend a school with caring teachers and be prepared for Middle School, Whitman is the school for you.

Whitman Elementary School 3

Posted October 07, 2013
This school is really trying to help these children as well as my daughter, the teachers help a lot to teach the kids so far I love what I see when get there , they spend a lot of time teaching the children in transitional kindergarten and kindergarten especially the staff in prime time ,appreciate them!

Posted July 31, 2013
Don't be fooled by the lower API! This school has such a wide range of students of all learning styles and abilities. Children are bused in from all over the district for their Deaf and Hard of Hearing program it's so good. The principal is one of the most caring I've seen. And the teachers really go all out to help each student with their individual needs! The Kinder teacher, Mrs. Kemp is probably the best Kinder teacher you will EVER meet! Our kids learn more here than in a private school. Small and friendly community, and a staff who really cares about the achievement of the children. Amazing!

Posted January 17, 2012
I went to Whitman Elementary K through half of 2nd grade. And I Loved loved LOVED it there. It was the best Elementary school you can possibly go to, in my opinion. I learned to LOVE music in my years there, it challenged me in ways where I learned a lot more than I did in other schools. I am now an 8th grader and I wish I could go back to that school. The teachers are very enthusiastic about what they do. If you are looking for a good school for you children, I recommend Whitman Elementary School!

Posted January 10, 2011
I have been so fortunate to have my children and grand-children attend Whitman Elementary School. Whitmans teachers are both caring and have met the all of the individual needs of each child. They have enjoyed the music classes taught by Mr. Wazcek, who I can't say enough about. It is so nice at this day and age to be able to enroll my children in a Family Friendly Neighborhood school. Thanks Whitman and the wonderful Whiman Staff.

Posted January 10, 2011
Whitman is a gem in the community of Northeast Clairemont. It is a small neighborhood school with teachers that truly care about each childs' academic success. The music that the children learn is absolutely life changing. My children began their love for music at Whitman with a great choir teacher. They went on to instrumental music where they began learning different instruments and today I have a saxophone player, violinist, guitarist and an aspiring drummer. What a great experience my children have had of not only academic education but education of the arts.

Posted January 10, 2011
I have had four children attend Whitman Elementary School and it has been a very positive experience. The kindergarten teachers provide an excellent start and the caring staff, teachers and principal carry on that foundation in a manner that shows they truly love their students and their job. The music program, run by Mr. Waczek, is excellent. I can't say enough about how wonderful this small school is.

Whitman Elementary School
4050 Appleton Street, San Diego, CA  92117
Last modified Whitman Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Whitman Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top