No rating

St Michael Academy

Private | PK-8

Living in San Diego

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $216,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,450.

Posted June 24, 2014

This school is not a very good school. The principal does not do her job. They do not do any upgrades to the school and are very racists against kids who are not Asian. Sorry to say it but it is true try it out if you don't believe it.

Posted November 18, 2013

My son graduated 2 years ago and was there for only 2 yrs. I am an alumni and I regret not bringing him sooner but I lived so far away! The teachers are super great! I liked the principal he was very organized and the students tested a couple years ahead when they graduated!

Posted July 25, 2013

Both my children have attended St. Michael Academy since they were in preschool. Our oldest daughter finished her first year of highschool and she did really well. My husband and I attribute this to the great education she received at SMA. They taught her great study skills, to respect her teachers, and they instilled in her the value of volunteering her time in helping people. I find that the teachers not only have an interest in how the students are doing academically but they also teach the students the importance of living their Catholic faith through their words and actions. SMA has extrcurrical activies such as volleyball and basketball for girls and basketball for boys. Daycare is also offered. St. Michael has wonderful families. The parents want the best for their children and they are eager to volunteer their time. My children have made lifelong friends at SMA. St. Michael Academy is a wonderful school to send your children.

Posted July 12, 2013

Saint Michael Academy is a wonderful School. I am an alumni and product of Saint Michael Academy. The teachers are great, you just have to let them teach. I know that for a fact because many of the alumni from SMA are featured in High School bulletins as having great GPA and are accelerating in their classes. For example, AP, honors etc. I have a son that graduated from SMA he is in AP Spanish, took his final and passed very qualified. He will be taking AP government this next year etc. SMA has taught them to do your homework and turn it in!! I believe that you have to trust the teachers and back them up when ever possible. I have been a parent volunteer since Feb. 2001 every school has their ups and downs but I have had MORE UPS than downs I guess it's just the way you look at situations. I love SMA!! Hands Down!! Teachers are great! I believe that 100%.

Posted June 19, 2013

Sma needs HELP. The teachers and principal are not welcoming or understanding. The students however are inviting but the staff is rude and INTIMIDATING.

Posted May 5, 2010

St. Michael Academy (San Diego) is an excellent school. The teachers are wonderful and have been known to prepare their children for high school. When interviewed at another Private School - High School, it's been told that St. Michael Academy is one of the best schools. It prepares the students academically. St. Michael Academy is well known for their science and mathematic department. The administration could improve as they are relying on parents to do the marketing for the school. I think it's the administration's responsibility and not the parents. As for parent involvement, it is wonderful see many parents involved in the school. I love St. Michael Academy. It is a safe and friendly environment.

Posted April 28, 2010

St Michael Academy(San Diego) is an excellent school. We have sacrificed financially, and sent both our children to St Michael. We have been Academy parents for seven years with two beautiful children raised and nurtured in the Catholic faith. Early on our children were taught to be confident, self sufficient, and repectful to others. With these foundations of faith, self confidence, and respect,... academics and social skills came easily. Our extra curricular activities now include volleyball and basketball, and this year the girls volleyball teams did very well. The teaching staff is very supportive and helpful, all you have to do is ask, ask, and communicate. Your childs experience in any school depends on your involvement and the communication between you and your child. We would highly recommend St. Michael Academy to everyone. Come and visit the campus, talk to teachers, staff, and students, experience it for yourself. God Bless.

Posted September 23, 2009

As a parent of SMA I have found that the Teachers, Administration & Parents alike are dedicated assuring that our children receive the highest academic and spiritual education. My children have attended SMA starting in Preschool and their experience as well as mine has been one of excellence from teachers and staff. I have experienced a close community of Parents, Teachers, and Administration. I know my children are not only receiving an excellent academic education but are experiencing a wonderful community environment. With a combined 8 yrs of my children attending SMA I highly recommend SMA to all families. Sending my children to SMA has been the best choice for my family and is one I know will benefit them for a life time.

Posted August 10, 2009

I am currently a student at SMA. I can say that my experience is great. I love the environment, and the unity. I can literally name everyone in the whole school because everyone basically knows each other, and looks out for each other. I've made great friends, and have a great bond with my teachers. I'm not so happy with some changes made in the past few years. I think the school should center on something other than looks and making the school great on the outside, and focus more on what's going on inside. Like students who have trouble in class should get more help instead of just a conference or a slip. Sure, our school isn't perfect, but it isn't the worst either. If you want your child to have lasting friendships, learn from a a unique and warm staff, and shape a strong relidious faith, send them here.

Posted July 12, 2009

Great parents, average teachers, unprofessional administrators. The principal should be removed immediately as she has done nothing positive for the school except turn families off.

Posted April 11, 2009

At first I was very excited about my daughter attending this school however the teachers at this school are not very fond of parent participation at this school and rely on open house nights for the parent to interact/shadow their child in the classroom. Sadly, I HIGHLY would not recommend this school to any parent who wants to feel restricted and not able to participate in their childs activity at school... The school is extremely rigid.

Posted January 18, 2009

As a parent,it is important for us to give our children the strong foundation of education and moral values.As a catholic,it is also important for us to teach them our catholic values.St Michael Academy has been the school we have chosen to help us make our goals fulfilled for our children.We have been proud of our children's behavior.The current principal is really involve in improving the academic,after school activities(sports like volleyball,basketball,tennis and piano classes and school choir) and tutorial for kids in need.Excellent PTG group and active,very supportive parent.I will always recommend this school to anyone!

Posted January 11, 2009

Our first born graduated in SMA.We have enjoyed the school and very satisfied academically.Both our children are active with sports all offered in SMA.Parents should really try and consider to enroll their children in SMA and not to listen to all the negative comments.ST MICHAEL ACADEMY is an excellent school if you want your child to grow with both moral and catholic values.The teachers are excellent and parents are always involve with all the activities.An example is the recent cookie dough fund raising...SMA sold >$13,000.00! We have no regrets sending both our children to SMA.

Posted January 10, 2009

As a graduate from Saint Michael Academy, I believe that this school has built a foundation for my success in high school. As a current high school student and looking back at my memories of the academy, I have developed very strong leadership skills as well as speaking skills. I have developed an interest in religious activity and being involved in my community, take up leadership positions in and outside of school, and developed a proper way to present myself as a mature student who applies Catholic values and morals. Teachers in the past and currently were and ARE still helpful towards my success in high school. They are educated and their learning styles apply to the expectations in high school. As an alumnae and now looking at the presentation of the school when picking my sybling up, I have seen much improvement in terms of the environment.

Posted December 15, 2008

St. Michael is a great school full of loving teachers and involved parents. For those of you who want your child to recieve an education in academics and character this is the school for you. The children that attend St. Michael leave with a strong foundation in Catholic values.

Posted November 16, 2008

Our son has been attending St. Michael for the past 4 years. We first enrolled him in Pre-School. as we valued our Catholic faith. The curriculum is different to public school. Children are strongly encourage to be self sufficient and thus are able to grasp social, religious and education material with ease. Our son has continuously shown growth and maturity.

Posted February 2, 2008

I went to this school in the past, I didn't recieve the help I needed and was outcasted by the teachers. They fouced to much on uniform and not enough on studies. The afterschool extra curricluar activties, did'nt fouce on school pride or sportmanship or even chirst like behaivor. The school has had problem, and still does. I would not recommend anyone going here. The parents are too control and only cared about themselves. The school stress unity, there wasn't any at all. The school was divide by race. Your child has a bright futures, by sending them here you take away from that.

Posted August 17, 2006

There are some excellent teachers in this school, and they focus on the students with great respect. However, extracurricular activities are very scarce, and only general studies are available. If your child is very talented and creative, you're better off with another school.

Posted July 30, 2006

This school is always focused on uniform but never on their studies, such as tutoring students for extra help.

Posted September 7, 2004

Excellent School. We were fortunate to have our oldest son accepted into Kindergarten. The Teachers and Parents are very involved in student activities. The initial interactions with the staff and other parents has been very positive. The school has excellent facilities bringing together a high quality education both academically and socially with positive christen family values and teachings. Everyone we have spoken to has given very positive feedback. We are delighted that our 5 year son who was relatively shy, has had positive reinforcement from the teachers and classmates, that he is very excited to go to school.

Asian or Pacific Islander 50% 11%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of San Diego

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2637 Homedale Street