Academy of Our Lady of Peace

Private | 9-12

Living in San Diego

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $235,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,240.

Sweep tile

Posted September 11, 2013

The most life-changing (and best) four years I have ever experienced and I would trade all of my tomorrows to revisit a day at that school. I learned so much academically and non-academically (yes, it's true that the academics can be rigorous). The teachers really prepared me for college and they care about how you succeed in and out of the classroom. I've made lifelong friends at that school and they're all of the girls in my class because the school is a very tight-knit community. I'm a proud alumni and I hope to send my daughter to OLP.

Posted August 26, 2013

I am so grateful to have been able to attend the Academy. Advice I would give: It is extremely challenging academically, but hang in there because the end result is phenomenal. Find out for yourself.

Posted January 18, 2013

class of '03 currently pregnant with my first daughter (i have an older son) and planning on her going to OLP! loved every single thing about it!!!

Posted October 23, 2012

The highest compliment a school can receive is to have alums send their own children to their alma mater. I graduated from the school, and my two daughters are students. OLP is a wealth of tradition and sisterhood. Teachers and faculty are dedicated and available. Please note: this is a college preparatory, academic environment! You must be willing to work hard to get the most out of this school. But you will be extremely well prepared for college and life beyond.

Posted July 23, 2012

I am entering my senior year at AOLP and I've loved all three previous years! I feel that it is so important for a young woman to have a supportive and loving academic community surrounding her in these four formative years of high school. That community at OLP has helped me blossom into a respectful, aware, and well-rounded young woman. I feel so prepared for college with the constant burden of taking notes, writing essays, and thinking critically. The English Department perpetually challenges each and every student to better her writing skills and the Science Department tries to engage each student as well. The only complaint I have about this wonderful school is that they require eight semesters of religion classes and, while most are very fulfilling, some try to push Catholic dogma a little too hard, which ends up driving some girls away. However, I have never been Catholic and never will be, but I have learned to appreciate the beauty and love that all of the religion teachers (and teachers in general) share with the girls. OLP is truly a large family and I can hardly express how much my high school experience has shaped me into a woman of peace, faith, and confidence.

Posted April 12, 2012

I will be going into my sophmore year and I can't wait, my freshman year has been amazing! The teachers are great and they actually take the time to help you, even if it is during their break. The guidance counselors are amazing as well! I was having trouble in a class and I was a little hesitant on talking to the teacher about it so my counselor came with me. I'll admit OLP is not for everyone, but it is a great school!

Posted August 21, 2011

I honestly love this school!!!! I went to la costa canyon freshman year and i HATED IT! The girls dressed horribly and there were cliques! It was all around horrible! But at OLP there is none of that!!!!! It is honestly the most amazing school i could ever ask for!!!! I LOVE IT SOOO MUCH!!!!!!! If you are debating b/w schools this is with out a doubt the school for you!

Posted July 15, 2011

My daughter was a transfer from another high school. She is SO HAPPY here, This is an academically challenging school, butgirls who struggle but are willing to work hard will succeed as well thanks to the caring teachers. I cannot believe how available the teachers are for the students and the parents compared to another Catholic high school where the teachers are out of the parking lot 5 mintues after the last bell. No cliques here, there is a place for every girl and while there are wealthy girls as well as financial scholarship students, there is no social separation based upon financial means (unlike the 'other' Catholic high school). Your daughter will be taught to think for herself, explore her possiblities, celebrate her strengths and accept her weaknesses and most of all become an independent young woman. Having experience elsewhere, I can wholeheartedly recommend this school for young ladies who will learn the tools to be successful no matter what life path they take. Your daughter will love it here guaranteed!!

Posted October 16, 2009

The Academy of Our Lady of Peace presents amazing oppurtunites for our daughters to build their future. The environment is unlike anything I have ever seen before; my daughter has told me on numerous occasions that she loves how she does not have to worry about cliques, or popularity contests, unlike her friends at other schools. OLP is a nurturing environment which encourages girls to express themselves in the classroom, as well as through sports and theatre programs. It is no doubt that the academics offered at the Academy are of the highest caliber; no other school I have heard of can compare. And the most recent graduates of OLP, who are now at Harvard, Yale, Columbia, and Notre Dame among other universities, only illustrate that fact.

Posted August 4, 2009

As a current student of OLP, I am extremely proud to say that I am a member of the OLP sisterhood. Previous posts have said that this school is not for everyone, and that is true, but OLP clearly states this fact, so it should in no way be held against the school. Recently, OLP has been racked with trouble regarding its relations with the neighbors, but even this problem does degrade the high academic quality that OLP offers. I had always wanted to go to OLP, and upon arriving, found it extremely difficult. But after getting 'in the groove' I know am confident in myself as scholar and a young woman. I know that because of my OLP education, I will be more than prepared for college and life beyond.

Posted December 11, 2008

I was definitely forced to go to this school and honestly didn't see how amazing it was for a couple years. I think that the decision my parents made to send me here helped me become the person I am. Without this school I honestly do not know where I would be today. I had a lot of academic and 'fitting in' issues when I first started - because i just didn't want to be there and the school did everything they could to help me out. Right before my senior year my father died and I was given the option to go to a public school. The school rallied around me and my family and made my senior year a lot easier than it would have been. I can't tell you how amazing this school is for young women; so much more than an education. Amazing.

Posted November 29, 2008

The greatest thing a parent could do is to send their child to a private school like OLP. I gained so much from this school, the faculty, and it's standards for excellence as well as made lasting friendships. OLP prepared me extremely well for college (my freshman year of college was actually easier than all my years at OLP). I would highly recommend this school to any girl. It defined my life and made me the strong, confident woman I am today. I'm proud to say I graduated from OLP.

Posted August 28, 2008

We have had grand chilkdren attend OLP.. During last night's dinner we were told that all students viewed Al Gore's famous movie on global warming...There was no rebuttal..no balance... Globsl warming is a theory..not science...Pls ask the KUSI weather man John Coleman..the founder of the Weather Channel or Roger Hedgecock to give their views on the subject in fairness to all....

Posted June 23, 2008

I am a former student of OlP and I can honestly say that it made me the person I am. I have lived in different countries and am living in Paris at the moment. People notice the qualities that OlP instilled in me. Of course there are natural rebelllions of adolesence, but OlP shapes their students into women of integrity. There is something different about the girls that graduate from OlP. I hope to send my daughters there one day. I am all of 21 years old and I already know where I want to send my future dauhters to school! Sister Dolores and Sister Joyce will always hold a special place in my heart. Truly great women, and exeptional roll models.

Posted June 19, 2008

I am a former student and parent of a former student at the Academy. OLP isn't cut out for everyone, but those that wish to make the most of the experience will definitely get the most out of it! My daughter was a student at OLP and was not happy to be there. Sr. Dolores personally got involved to make sure that she was successful. She wasn't socially active at any level and didn't excel, but she did matter! Thank you OLP!

Posted February 25, 2008

I disagree whole heartedly with the previous post. OLP was and is an excellent school. As an alum and current parent, I can attest to the fact that the OLP faculty goes above and beyond at all times to help all students and offers help at any time (even during their 'personal time'). All you have to do is ask and be responsible. As for being involved in the girls lives outside of school, this is true and one of the things I love and appreciate. OLP sees it as their responsibility to inspire its students to grow as committed Christians who are building Christ s kingdom of justice, love and peace. If you want a school that does not hold your student responsible for their behaviors and actions, may I suggest public school?

Posted February 5, 2008

OLP was, at one point in time, an excellent school but has changed dramatically throughout the past years. I disagree with one of the previous comments that 'Every girl matters at AOLP.' Unfortunately, this is not true. Only those who go far and beyond their expectations will be recognized. The OLP faculty tends to lose focus on those students who are struggling academically. Also, the faculty gets too involved in the girls lives outside of school. This high school has great potential to become the fine institution it once was.

Posted October 31, 2006

This is one of the best high schools in San Diego known for their excellence in academics. I enjoyed each and every day at that school. They have great opportunities for the students to get involved, as well as the parents. I was a part of the student council, a sports team, and a student ambassador and loved every position I held.

Posted February 23, 2006

OLP gives students the opportunity to truly have a positve and rewarding high school experience. I feel it is well worth the investment because it pays off when your daughter is in college and able to do the necessary work to succeed.

Posted August 27, 2005

I attended OLP and I believe it was the the best possible high school for me in San Diego. The intense academic program developed my strong study habits and preparation for college. The extracurricular activities are plentiful including 'Spring Sing', sports, Freshman dance lessons with Saints, clubs, and student council. The teachers really care about the girls and they become really involved in their lives. It was the best academic experience I have had in my life.

Ethnicity This school
Black 1%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 1%
American Indian/Alaska Native 0%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• All girls
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of San Diego

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

4860 Oregon Street