No rating

Saint Charles Borromeo Academy

Private | K-8 | 221 students

Living in San Diego

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $290,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,350.

Posted June 19, 2014

The community is what makes this school so special! I went to school here, and now my 3 boys attend the school. There are many of my kids classmates, who's parents also attended SCBA. This close knit community creates a caring environment for your children to grow academically and socially. One of my favorite things about the school is the interaction between the older grades and the younger grades, the "buddies". It inspires the older students to be responsible role models and creates a connection that lasts for years beyond their early days in elementary school. Academically, the school is challenging, and the school is doing a great job trying to balance pushing the kids forward and still letting them be kids.

Posted June 10, 2014

Our son is a 1st grader at this school - we could not be more pleased. The bond between the students is amazing. The teachers are outstanding and care about the kids as if they were their own. There is a reason that generations of families continue to send their children to this school. Great academics, very good athletic programs and more programs in the arts being added every year. This is very refreshing while other schools are unfortunately losing programs. We selected the right school when we picked St. Charles for our child to go to. His positive experience here will set the pace for the rest of his academic career. We couldn't be happier!

Posted April 14, 2014

Point Loma neighbor I am in the wait list for 2 months my children have been test and interview for the school and iam doing all the paper work like 10 pages for one hous and I am can finish all the questions too many that school so hard they choose the students then don't want kids like develope delay , like ADD ...when I am talk to another family for the school I am start doing more application in different Catolic school more flexible to my children's iam very disappoint for the school .

Posted April 9, 2013

Would recommend this school for its teacher and parent involvement. Kids are well mannered and have good study habits. Both staff and leadership have be tremedously upgraded.

Posted February 4, 2013

My child has been attending since September (kindergarten). She's immediately made great connections with many of her schoolmates and is on the soccer team. The school is very close knit and has a very concerned and active parents. My child's always eager to go to school. As parents, we love the intimate and caring environment of the school. As for the "the most recent principal"--he is one of the MOST involved principals I've ever witnessed either public or private. He's even at movie night sponsored by the pastor. He's at sports games cheering on students, he's always in the trenches, speaks with students, directing traffic in the morning, etc. His active participation is greatly appreciated. He serves as good model for children to see. Our daughter's been to other Catholic school's in the area and by far, this principal is very engaged. There's one Catholic school just 2 blocks from our home but we settled on St. Charles because of size and atmosphere--it's well worth the extra 3.5 miles. Parents also pray a communal rosary once a week with students as well along with students prayer intentions. So far, we're very happy!

Posted January 21, 2012

SCBA is an excellent school with outstanding academics! It is a faith-based school that provides students with a great education. My daughter is doing work in some of her courses that I didn't learn until high school. She will be well prepared for high school when the time comes. St. Charles also has a very supportive family/community relationship. We are grateful to have such a wonderful school in our community.

Posted May 12, 2011

This school is an excellent learning environment for our children, Overall the quality of the teaching staff is consistent, caring and innovative. This is not our first Catholic School, but it is by far the most loving and spiritual one that we have attended. Our school community is like a family, and in response to that parent that the children are ruled by fear, that is not true because our children are most certainly not ruled by fear, on the contrary it is a very positive and loving environment. The math program has been updated and we have a spanish program.

Posted March 23, 2009

I was a very involved parent at this school and had two children attend. The quality of teachers is inconsistent, the most recent principal was a disaster with a focus on dress code and the 'core knowledge' focus was implemented for only a few years. I have both children in public school and it was a giant upgrade in their education and available resources.

Posted June 6, 2008

As a grandparent watching my second generation go through Saint Charles Borromeo Academy I am most impressed. The staff is well qualified and very dedicated. The atmosphere is Christian, loving and family. The students are happy and excited about learning.

Posted April 2, 2008

People say that this school isn't very good, and I used to agree with them. But now I really like it. Everyone is doing a great job!
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 10, 2007

As a former student I know this school is great if you dont want your kids to go to a catholic school then dont send em here. The principal was a HS teacher and a great one and now we have the privledge of having him as our principal. Go Dons!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted May 12, 2007

St. Charles offers an English and Literature program which is better than the public school system. Math is a sore subject and as many parents have complained, the math curriculum is still very under-par. I agree with parent noting the staff works in fear. I believe in discipline however, this school needs to work on 'positive reinforcement'. The message that most student's receive is very negative. I also agree there is no music program that the students can play an instrument unless you pay outside the school. They offer choir which I have never heard the students perform. They do not offer a foreign language either unless you pay for it after school. When you have a problem with a subject, a tutoring program is always the solution. This school needs to look over their staff's teaching ability. Parents are never allowed to drop by unless prearranged.

Posted March 3, 2007

St. Charles Borromeo is a one-class-per-grade school with a feel of a very supportive community through teachers, families and parishioners. Students have to follow a strict policy on behavior which has really benefited my child to become confident and responsible - something I did not anticipate to be so effective. This might be initially difficult to learn for most new students, however, teachers provide weekly feedback in a direct and calm approach. Art is included in the curriculum, and music lessons are available on campus but paid by parent (if selected). The last principal was a great, intelligent, energetic principal that knew each parent by name and had the full respect of his students. The new principal has many years of experience & visits team games of his students on the weekend.

Posted September 13, 2006

I would like to comment on another parents thoughts of this school. There is the opportunity for any child who chooses to learn music outside of the regular music curriculum, after school with a wonderful instrument teacher. There is a wonderful religion program taught that is followed up on by the church/school priest. The principal has now changed and a new year is ahead of us.One upset parent does not speak for the whole. There are many happy families here, who feel they are blessed to be part of such a wonderful faith community. There are teachers and parent volunteers on the playground at all times.Children attend mass every Friday and religious holy days of obligation. The 8th graders do take a retreat,for reflection and Parental input is always welcome.There are so many wonderful things my child has learned here at this school.We are proud to call it our own.

Posted January 6, 2005

This Catholic school is a huge loss to our family and our two children. There is no decent music program, no religious on staff, two Roman Catholic sisters were not rehired for unknown reasons. The Catholic religion is not taught by any teacher who is qualified to teach religion. The principal has no administration credentials and used to teach high school and has approached the job as a tyrant rather than a principal who listens and hears the children and the staff. Fear is rampant at the school and parents wait to transfer to other Catholic grade schools or even begin to home school their children. There is no actual supervision that deals with bullying. The actual religious activities that kids participate is limited to Mass on First Friday. That is all. No retreats, days of reflection etc. Parental input is not welcome unless it is agreement with admininstrtion. Sad school.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Language learning

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

School start time
  • 8:00am
School end time
  • 2:45pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Rev. Christopher Tozzi
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of San Diego