Posted May 30, 2015
My first child went to several Catholic preschools as we searched for the right place with a strong grounding in the Catholic faith and activities that shaped the character of my child as well as her academic future. After three years at St. Charles I am happy to say that we found the place with all this and more. St. Charles has a long, solid history in the community having been founded in the 1940's. It is a well-structured, academically sound, yet amiable learning environment. The educators focus on classroom discipline that shapes the character of the students both in their values and their academic goals. Rather than being off putting however, this strong stance on classroom behavior commands respect and cultivates a positive environment for learning. The students have a camaraderie both in and out of school that is impressive and heartwarming to see. In addition, the parents take their role as primary educators seriously, supporting the teachers, each other, and the school in our shared goal of creating confident, thoughtful and strong future leaders supported by Catholic faith and principles. I would encourage families to look at St. Charles Academy and Preschool for a compassionate and lively school environment that takes shaping young minds and hearts seriously

Posted May 17, 2015
St. Charles Borromeo Academy is an amazing school and has been a tremendous blessing to my family. As a military family, we moved to San Diego in 2011. SCBA has provided us with a wonderful, welcoming community. Catholic values are instilled as part of a well-rounded education. Students are well prepared for high school and beyond.

Posted May 16, 2015
We moved from Tampa in the middle of my son's 7th grade year. We were not able to make a trip to San Diego first, so my parents came down to tour schools. The principal went out of his way to accommodate them. When we moved out over Thanksgiving break, he came in on his week off to show us the school before my son started so he would feel comfortable. On the day my son started, I walked in with him. When we got near the classroom, another boy came up and said "Are you [my son's name]?" My son answered "Yes." The boy said "Hi, I'm [his name]. C'mon, I'll introduce you to the guys." The teachers were prepared for my son and had prepared the other students, and those other kids were welcoming. The principal and staff are continually supportive and helpful. They sacrifice to take care of the children, and the parish priest is the same way. Love of God and service to others is at the heart of the curriculum here. This goes along with top-caliber academic standards. In the 8th grade class, all the students got into the high school of their choice with multiple scholarships awarded to them. The location is excellent if you work in the Point Loma/Pacific Hwy area.

Posted May 13, 2015
Because we have moved all over the country, my 3 children have attended schools in several states (both private and public). SCBA is by far the most rigorous academically with the strongest sense of community. We couldn't be happier with this school! I highly recommend it!

Posted May 12, 2015
I have four children attending the Academy. There is one class per grade and a very devoted faculty. It is a preK - 8 school and one of the features that we really like is the "school buddy" program, where each older class is paired with a younger class.. My 4th grade son has a preK "buddy" and this has brought out a nurturing side of him. We have also been impressed with the social studies curriculum, which is based on a "core knowledge" program. Our second grader just finished a unit on immigration which included a family ancestry project and will culminate with the kids bringing in foods from their families' nation of origin. These activities really made the whole topic very tangible and interesting My children who have previously attended the Academy have gone on to Catholic high schools, where they were accepted with honors at entrance. They have been well prepared academically. V

Saint Charles Borromeo Academy 3

Posted May 12, 2015
St. Charles has been a good school with good teachers, but prospective parents should know that the new priest does not have any educational experience and is trying to implement changes that will negatively affect the school. He hasn't renewed the contract of the principal, who has been at SCBA for the past 9 years. The principal has made the school successful by being a dedicated educator and bringing in good teachers. The priest is a man around 50 years old, who only recently became a priest a few years ago. This is the first school of which the priest has been in charge. He has told the teachers that they will take pay cuts, so some may not return. If you are thinking about sending your child to this school, ask lots of questions before you enroll to make sure you are ok with the administration, the faculty, and the program. Thankfully, my child is graduating from the academy this year. It has been a positive experience for my child. However, given the current situation at the school, I would not send my child here next year (2015-2016 school year).

Posted April 28, 2015
The Academy had twenty 8th graders apply to Catholic High Schools. ALL 20 WERE ACCEPTED! Four of the students received Honors at Entrance. Three of the young ladies who applied to OLP received scholarships. Way to go, Class of 2015!

Posted January 23, 2015
St. Charles is a fantastic school with dedicated and professional teachers and staff. A great emphasis is placed on Catholic teaching and tradition, including service to others and involvement in both the school and parish community. Students receive a quality education and are treated as individuals, especially those with learning challenges. The teachers show compassion to their students, while maintaining an environment in which students learn to be responsible and accountable for their actions. My child is treated with respect and care and has grown tremendously in his two years of attending St. Charles. We plan to be a part of this special community for many more years.

Posted June 10, 2014
Our son is a 1st grader at this school - we could not be more pleased. The bond between the students is amazing. The teachers are outstanding and care about the kids as if they were their own. There is a reason that generations of families continue to send their children to this school. Great academics, very good athletic programs and more programs in the arts being added every year. This is very refreshing while other schools are unfortunately losing programs. We selected the right school when we picked St. Charles for our child to go to. His positive experience here will set the pace for the rest of his academic career. We couldn't be happier!

Posted April 09, 2013
Would recommend this school for its teacher and parent involvement. Kids are well mannered and have good study habits. Both staff and leadership have be tremedously upgraded.

Saint Charles Borromeo Academy
2808 Cadiz Street, San Diego, CA  92110
Last modified Saint Charles Borromeo Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Saint Charles Borromeo Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top