Posted June 05, 2015
My child attended public school in Point Loma for elementary school but after the jump to middle school, unfortunately she was lost in the shuffle of the HUGE public schools. So, we thought we'd give Saint Charles a try. She has had the BEST year and has really flourished. The class sizes are small so the children are really getting individualized attention and the curriculum and learning that is happening is top notch. She has felt supported and encouraged every step of the way and the other children are kind and welcoming. I would not hesitate for a second to recommend this school to anyone. Saint Charles is a gem!

Posted June 05, 2015
It is sad to see disgruntled parents bash the school, especially with incorrect information. Fortunately, the disgruntled are few and departing. St. Charles Borromeo Academy IS a great school and WILL CONTINUE to be so. The source of this excellence is the entire community. There is large turnover every year, whether it is the Pastor, Principal, Teachers, Students or Parents. The new members constantly raise the energy level with great ideas and enthusiasm while the existing members provide continuity and experience. This mix of old and new is a winning combination. Most importantly, the Spirituality and foundation of the Catholic Church prepares our children to be successful, not only in High School, but well beyond.

Saint Charles Borromeo Academy 4

Posted June 02, 2015
SCBA WAS great. Many teachers are leaving because of the priest. Beware that the following teachers chose to work elsewhere for the 2015-2016 school year, so will be replaced by new (not yet hired) teachers: Kindergarten 5th Grade 6th Grade 8th Grade That is at LEAST 4 teachers out of the nine primary teachers (from Grades K-8). Also, a new principal is being hired. So yes, SCBA was an awesome school, but half of its faculty/administration is leaving, and so are a number of families. I hope that the school can recover, but it would be unfair to recommend the school based on the current situation, which was created by the parish priest.

Posted June 02, 2015
St. Charles Borromeo has provided my children with an excellent education! SCBA also promotes good values, morals and discipline where students are accountable for their actions. Because of the small size of our school, we are like a community....and it's nice. Our priest, Father Chris, has been a wonderful mentor to the children as well, by encouraging a relationship with God and the church. He has also done an amazing job getting parishioners and academy families together to support one another. I highly recommend SCBA to anyone who wants their children to have a higher standard of learning.

Posted May 31, 2015
in response to a parent who commented on May 12, 2015....WOW! It saddens me that you publicly rip the school down with inaccurate information. Also, being a parent of this school for 9 years plus, and working closely with parents and teachers, this school is awesome! We will continue to succeed and move forward. And, luckily, you will be gone.

Posted May 30, 2015
My first child went to several Catholic preschools as we searched for the right place with a strong grounding in the Catholic faith and activities that shaped the character of my child as well as her academic future. After three years at St. Charles I am happy to say that we found the place with all this and more. St. Charles has a long, solid history in the community having been founded in the 1940's. It is a well-structured, academically sound, yet amiable learning environment. The educators focus on classroom discipline that shapes the character of the students both in their values and their academic goals. Rather than being off putting however, this strong stance on classroom behavior commands respect and cultivates a positive environment for learning. The students have a camaraderie both in and out of school that is impressive and heartwarming to see. In addition, the parents take their role as primary educators seriously, supporting the teachers, each other, and the school in our shared goal of creating confident, thoughtful and strong future leaders supported by Catholic faith and principles. I would encourage families to look at St. Charles Academy and Preschool for a compassionate and lively school environment that takes shaping young minds and hearts seriously

Posted May 16, 2015
We moved from Tampa in the middle of my son's 7th grade year. We were not able to make a trip to San Diego first, so my parents came down to tour schools. The principal went out of his way to accommodate them. When we moved out over Thanksgiving break, he came in on his week off to show us the school before my son started so he would feel comfortable. On the day my son started, I walked in with him. When we got near the classroom, another boy came up and said "Are you [my son's name]?" My son answered "Yes." The boy said "Hi, I'm [his name]. C'mon, I'll introduce you to the guys." The teachers were prepared for my son and had prepared the other students, and those other kids were welcoming. The principal and staff are continually supportive and helpful. They sacrifice to take care of the children, and the parish priest is the same way. Love of God and service to others is at the heart of the curriculum here. This goes along with top-caliber academic standards. In the 8th grade class, all the students got into the high school of their choice with multiple scholarships awarded to them. The location is excellent if you work in the Point Loma/Pacific Hwy area.

Posted May 13, 2015
Because we have moved all over the country, my 3 children have attended schools in several states (both private and public). SCBA is by far the most rigorous academically with the strongest sense of community. We couldn't be happier with this school! I highly recommend it!

Posted May 12, 2015
I have four children attending the Academy. There is one class per grade and a very devoted faculty. It is a preK - 8 school and one of the features that we really like is the "school buddy" program, where each older class is paired with a younger class.. My 4th grade son has a preK "buddy" and this has brought out a nurturing side of him. We have also been impressed with the social studies curriculum, which is based on a "core knowledge" program. Our second grader just finished a unit on immigration which included a family ancestry project and will culminate with the kids bringing in foods from their families' nation of origin. These activities really made the whole topic very tangible and interesting My children who have previously attended the Academy have gone on to Catholic high schools, where they were accepted with honors at entrance. They have been well prepared academically. V

Saint Charles Borromeo Academy 3

Posted May 12, 2015
St. Charles has been a good school with good teachers, but prospective parents should know that the new priest does not have any educational experience and is trying to implement changes that will negatively affect the school. He hasn't renewed the contract of the principal, who has been at SCBA for the past 9 years. The principal has made the school successful by being a dedicated educator and bringing in good teachers. The priest is a man around 50 years old, who only recently became a priest a few years ago. This is the first school of which the priest has been in charge. He has told the teachers that they will take pay cuts, so some may not return. If you are thinking about sending your child to this school, ask lots of questions before you enroll to make sure you are ok with the administration, the faculty, and the program. Thankfully, my child is graduating from the academy this year. It has been a positive experience for my child. However, given the current situation at the school, I would not send my child here next year (2015-2016 school year).

Saint Charles Borromeo Academy
2808 Cadiz Street, San Diego, CA  92110
Last modified Saint Charles Borromeo Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Saint Charles Borromeo Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 56 reviews. Top