PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)

We found St Columba when we were driving around looking for a place to send our child to daycare so we can come to work nearby. After 2 years at pre-school, our child fell in love with the school, the teachers and all her friends, so she wanted to go school there so she can be with her friends and the teachers. We felt the same way with our child since we have witnessed the pre-school teachers were so friendly and took great care of the children. When our second child were ready for pre-school, we sent him straight to St Columba without hesitant. Our eldest child finished 8th grade and the second is about to finish. Not only our children attended St Columba, but our sisters' children and our niece's children all attended at St Columba school. It's a great school with great teachers and great education. Looking back at those years and we felt that it's the best investment that we have ever made to send our children to St Columba for education.

As a military member, my family and I arrived in San Diego just in time for my first born to start kindergarten. Looking at the public school options I grew concerned. St. Columba was the second private/Catholic school we visited and knew it was the one for us. The parent participation is great and teachers are there 100% for the children. St. Columba has outstanding tuition rates when compared to other Catholic schools in San Diego. The facilities could use some updating but the staff works wonders with what they have! In 2014 the school hired a new principle and from that point she has brought in brilliant teachers. With a mixture of seasoned educators and fresh talent that is motivated to pass on the teachings of Jesus to our children, the sky's the limit for this school! Needless to say all of my children will be attending St. Columba Catholic School and fellow coworkers and neighbors have also decided to enroll in our school. I highly urge anyone that is considering a religious based education to take a tour and ask questions. You will be pleasantly surprised!

Our family has been at this school for a couple years now and I now feel that I can give an honest assessment at this point. When we were looking for public schools in our area we were pretty disappointed. After touring this school it had the feel of the school we wanted. In addition to academics, we wanted the right environment and atmosphere. A place our children would want to be and not dread going everyday. The students were all listening at attention and the teachers had full command of the classroom during our unscheduled visit. This is an old school. It just celebrated 50 years as a school. It could use updating in many areas, but it has everything it needs. It does have a library and computer lab - though small, it works. It does have an art program, music and dance options for those that choose to participate. The school choir is absolutely fabulous-impressive. The kids go to mass every Friday and parents are welcome to join. A Catholic school operates heavily from volunteer work of the parents. We appreciate this because we know many parents are then involved with the school and their children. We constantly assess this school compared to our other choices - public and private - and always choose this school. One reason is hearing what the graduating 8th graders have to say about their time spent at St. Columba. They all seem to love it and appreciate the education, life lessons as well as the friends they made. This year 100% of the 8th grade students passed the Catholic H.S. acceptance exam. Over 60% are moving on to Catholic/Christian schools. To address a couple comments from a previous poster: 1. There is fundraising to be done at every school. 2. Science curriculum is done in class at each grade level. 3. There is music class offered. 4. The Spanish is basic, but it isn't a Spanish immersion - it is for exposure and cultural teaching. 5. Every school I have investigated raises tuition at some point. 6. Summer camp was operating at a loss - This is not part of tuition. They will make a new program for next year that can be run without loosing money. 7. The registration fee is $250, PTG is $300 - this is comparable to like schools. 8. Uniforms changed - We love uniforms - we save money on other clothes in the long run.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The one good thing I can say is they teach them the bible and the kids are so kind and loving.

Always asking for $ but not spending it on the kids. No science class, no music, and a very basic Spanish class taught by one of the students grandmother. Huge tuition hike, cancelled summer camp, $500 registration fee, $200 PT fee, and they changed the uniforms, so now we have to buy all new ones. I'm sad to leave. Would have paid the $ if we felt the principal had a clue.

My daughter went to preschool at St Columba for 2 years. She went from shy to outgoing with the support of the teachers. They focus not only on the basics: reading, writing, Etc, but also on her social skills. She thrived at this school. Wish we could keep her there for the next 8 years.

This small school is San Diego's best kept secret! It offers smaller class sizes, Art Corps program, choir, band, competitive parochial school sports from K up to 8th grade (mainly soccer, volleyball & basketball). We have been here 3 yrs & my kids LOVE it & have great friends. The older grades partner up with younger grades for reading buddies, class or school mass & various school activities. At this school all of the kids know each other & interact during the course of the day & help each other out. Each week the principal & student council lead the entire school in an assembly. The principal shows strong leadership & will always take the time to talk about any concerns you might have. Teachers are excellent and do a great job teaching the kids the faith & instilling good values in the students. Like any school (public or private) parent volunteers are essential. There are a few fundraisers throughout the year but nothing crazy. This is an older school so many students' parents or grandparents went here! We also have quite a few military families given our close proximity to Murphy Canyon. Great school! We highly recommend it!

Both my children completed K-8 at St. Columba and both received a very comprehensive, challenging academic education with high expectations and standards of achievement. The principal is very strong and caring as well. There is always a great sense of family throughout the school. My children went on to Cathedral High School and received great preparation for this school.

I currently have 2 daughters at St. Columba. We are extremely happy with the quality of education and teachers at the school. The kindergarten teacher is awesome!!! Before my daughter went to St. Columba I had done my research and realized St. Columba fit my needs in every way. The parent involvement is consistent and it is fun to interact and volunteer with different parents on a regular basis. I graduated from OLP and can see how St. Columba is a great prep school for OLP. 2 thumbs up for the best elementry Catholic School in San Diego.

Our family has been at St. Columba for six years now. I have been extremely happy with the administration and teachers. The small class size and caring community is well worth the cost of tuition. We tried the public school in Tierrasanta for several years but were disappointed in the education my daughter was receiving. My older daughter now attends OLP and is doing great and credits it to the preparation she received at St. Columba.

Last modified St. Columba Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8