Posted October 21, 2013
La Jolla Country Day School has exceeded my expectations in every way. It treats each student as an individual and took my son from a point where I wondered whether college was in his future and now, we believe, he may be Ivy material. This isn't a school for parents who want a cookie cutter approach and want to sit back and critique the place. As with all schools there are plenty of challenges when shaping and re-shaping students. But they did a marvelous job with my sometimes cantakerous son and I couldn't be happier.

La Jolla Country Day School 1

Posted October 04, 2013
Unfortunately, LJCDS has not faired well in the financial down turn. They have accepted an increasingly large number of underperforming, poorly behaved, spoiled kids over the last 5 years. The results have been disastrous. If you have a high functioning, hard working child, this is NOT the school for you. Most LJCDS kids don't want to work hard, and the main emphasis is social connections for the parents. This is not an academic institution no matter how many times the head of school says it to you. If you have a lot of money, and can afford a country club environment, complete with spoiled bratty children,many with learning issues, that don't want to work hard, this is the school for you. Otherwise, you best go elsewhere. Many teachers are dedicated and trying hard with the students that they have to deal with. Lots of bullying by nasty overindulged kids. Glorified, expensive, public school.

Posted August 10, 2013
La Jolla Country Day is the finest school in San Diego, no question. Demanding academics taught by a faculty who cares and is willing to work to insure that every student reaches their potential. An arts department that is fantastic and some of San Diego's most competitive athletic teams that win multiple championships each year. LJCD produces young women and men of character who are sought by, and accepted into, the country's finest universities.

La Jolla Country Day School 1

Posted March 16, 2013
Be careful. This is school that thinks the parents work for them. We had our daughter here for several years and just pulled her this last year. We are so much happier. The administration and the teachers want the kids to fit a very specific framework. They talk a wonderful amount about what they care about and their theory of education but in reality they practice something very different. Our daughter is so much happier at a new school, private and nearby. We wish we hadn't wasted these years. Some of the teachers truly care and truly try but they are overwhelmed by the focus of the administration and the overall tone of the school. The more we research, the more we have found out about how many kids have been leaving.

Posted March 18, 2012
Expensive, and worth every dime. Our son attended the best SD public schools before coming here, and there is no comparison. Don't kid yourself. . . your child will get a far better education in a class of 10-20 students than in a class of 30+ students. Besides pure numbers, these kids (for the most part) WANT to be here. What a concept. . .getting kids to recognize education as a prvilege (rather than a burden)!

Posted February 24, 2012
Best of the best in San Diego. Closest competitors are Francis Parker or Bishops. However, FP is ugly and in a questionable part of town, and Bishops is religious and requires the kids to wear uniforms (Yuk!). LJCDS looks like a mini college campus, with beautiful, spacious grounds in one of the best, safest areas of San Diego. LJCDS foreign language offerings are incredible. Girls' sports are top-notch, especially basketball and volleyball. The rest of the sports programs are sort of "B+". Great faculty with very happy kids. Not nearly as many "brats" as you would think, given the sort of "fluffy" school name.

La Jolla Country Day School 2

Posted October 26, 2011
The potential is there, but the school really needs some changes...clean house, get rid of the bad teachers and stop taking the weak kids who hold everyone else back. Most importantly, let's see more than talk from the admin...let's see some action.

La Jolla Country Day School 4

Posted August 08, 2011
How very blessed we are as a family with 2 Country Day Students. One currently enrolled and the other just recently graduated. As a low income family we were so fortunate to receive the financial support from the school. This allowed my children to be part of this wonderful community called La Jolla Country Day. I read the majority of the reviews and find it very difficult to understand how any parent could be critical of the School. With the most beautiful campus in the Country to the magnificent Teachers and Staff, Country Day has what every kid needs, character. I just can t emphasize this enough. La Jolla Country Day School is one of the best all around college preparatory schools in the U.S. and the graduates will rock the world.

La Jolla Country Day School 4

Posted July 22, 2011
We are so happy our children are in the care of loving, supportive, challenging teachers. They look forward to going to school each day. But I totally agree with the previous review. The lack of air conditioning in several classrooms of the lower school is ridiculous. There is no reason for our kids to come home lethargic and cranky for a month when simply adding air conditioning would create a condusive learning environment.

Posted June 02, 2011
I've attended public school from kindergarten to 8th grade and I can say there really is a difference between the public school system and CD. I've been here for 9th and 10th grade so far and am looking forward to my next two years here. Teachers are available and are extremely willing to talk after class and during free time. Most teachers take a genuine interest in their students and their future. For example, just last week I was able to talk with my history teacher for over an hour (on his free time) about history related extracurriculars that he'd recommend for me next year. Student body is extremely diverse in race and personalities. There really is a group for everyone. The Student Diversity Leadership Club/Conference attendees also work hard to promote tolerance and respect between people of different race, socio-economics, religions, and sexual preference. I myself being a minority, don't feel any tensions here or experience the same amount of labeling I did in public school. Lastly, many programs here depend on the leadership of the students and create many opportunities to get involved! Getting involved is super important to enjoy your time here.

La Jolla Country Day School
9490 Genesee Avenue, San Diego, CA  92037
Last modified La Jolla Country Day School is a Private school that serves grades K-12
La Jolla Country Day School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 61 reviews. Top