K-12|Private
1,139 students

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

La Jolla Country Day has been an amazing experience for our daughter. The LJCD community is welcoming and caring. Moving our daughter to LJCD was the best decision for her. She has gained confidence and the teachers have reignited her love of learning!

My children have been at LJCDS for 4 years and it has been an incredible experience. The school has instilled a true love of learning in my children and each teacher we have had has gone above and beyond. The curriculum is challenging and adapts to the needs of each of my kids. I highly recommend it.

Contrary to a prior poster, I think little attention is paid to test scores...or maybe they just don't know what they're doing and that's why the school consistently underperforms. Bishop's seems to get 15 National Merit Semifinalists every year while CD can barely eek out 4. Not much ROI here.

You'd think for over $30k they could find a decent sub, but then they hire someone who has never taught math to cover a math class. Who are the geniuses running this place? Definitely will be looking to transfer my kids for next year.

We had two children in there in the pre-K (ecc) and the lower school for over a year. We really wanted to like this school and obviously paid because we wanted to believe in it; but, at the end of the day, I cannot recommend this school and would strongly discourage future parents, and I don't take this lightly. First of all, there are some positives: small class size, etc. However, we found the faculty, teachers, and environment to be cold, sterile, and rigid. Our kids were doing well prior to transferring to LJCDS and they are fine now, but we found minimal growth and in some ways a regression while at LJCDS. Kids just don't thrive here in my experience and in talking to other parents about their experience. The school relies on tutoring (at a hefty price) for kids and other fees to make up for issues they identify. In addition, about 40% of the class seems to come from kids of teachers at the school. This would seem like a good thing but it is not. There is a divide and an 'us against them' mentality, which was shocking. Multiple times I heard teachers differentiating and belittle regular paying kids (ie, most kids here are spoiled, most kids here don't do chores, etc). Finally, there were multiple lockdowns in the time we were there due to faculty and parent threats. All in all, as a parent, I cannot recommend this school. I urge you to investigate for yourself, but think long and hard before you invest your money and more importantly your child's future in this school.

I am writing to back up the last review. LJCD has been a terrific school for our kids! Too much focus is spent on SAT scores, AP exams and National Merritt Scholars. Although those things have a place and demonstrate certain kinds of success, a truly great school provides opportunities for its students, motivates them to work hard and take risks and produces confident graduates who attend, not only top colleges, but the right college for each graduate. LJCD kids are given countless opportunities to excel, display varied talents and attend great colleges (check out the lists). LJCD is the best school in San Diego, no doubt about it.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Pretty strict enforcement of the school's rule book on behavior, as well as a discerning application process in terms of getting well-behaved students.

LJCDS is a GREAT fit for my kids in as much that it is caring enough to respect the individuality of each of my very different children, while at the same time providing a rigorous enough academic environment to challenge them with driving them into the ground (unlike a couple other schools in North County that I could name). The administration is honest and open about how it wants to improve the school, including moving it forward in terms of its use of technology.

Looks like another lackluster performance on the National Merit front. Yet the school keeps telling us they are "rebranding" (whatever that means) and promises us excellence. Please...we stopped believing that nonsense years ago. World class faculty second to none? Not even the best in San Diego county is more like it. Please just stop making us feel stupid for wasting all this money and not sending our kids to public school.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Some good, some bad, some so bad they shouldn't be in ANY classroom let alone one where people are paying good money.

Last modified La Jolla Country Day School is a Private school that serves grades K-12