San Diego, CA
Students enrolled: 1,139

La Jolla Country Day School 3

Posted June 02, 2015
In our experience the teachers have been quite good. Most have gone out of their way to accommodate for kids with extracurricular activities. They also made an honest effort to get to know my child. The administration has some issues. Don't get me wrong there are some great administrators but there are some who are not. My family was burned because we upset one of the influential families through no fault of our own. Their child didn't like ours so we were treated poorly by the administration. The school is great if you are a wealthy family or if you are well connected socially. Unfortunately the ceiling for families who fall outside of those buckets is much lower. I am writing this review as other families have felt the same way. My advice is to befriend the influential families and keep limit your child's interaction with those children. This is just a data point in your review of this school. It can truly be a great place but don't anger anyone in the process.

La Jolla Country Day School 2

Posted May 28, 2015
Very disappointed. Big time investment. Commuting on the road. Car investment with the heavy duty commute. Emotional investment with relationships made. Monetary investment with the ridiculous price tag of $30,000 a kid... NOT WORTH IT. You will not get back what you put into it.

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted May 28, 2015
There are one or two good teachers sprinkled throughout. ON the most part VERY UNIMPRESSIVE. SAVE YOUR MONEY!

Amount of homework: Don't know

Posted May 28, 2015
My kid never did his homework and the teachers never told me. So, in turn, this very smart kid did not get good grades. The teachers would tell me in the "11th hour" just to cover their backs come report card time.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted May 28, 2015
Teachers and administrators are too lazy to push your kid. You have to have self-motivators who will push themselves. SAVE YOUR MONEY. This place is not a good value for $30,000 the teachers, coaches, administrators just DO NOT GO THE EXTRA MILE. This school is hanging on its laurels. I had two really cool, smart, athletic, musical kids here for 4 years. SEVERELY disappointed. OVERRATED. They are not doing their jobs.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted May 28, 2015
When the COACHES, teachers and administrators don't practice honesty, integrity and fairness... how do you expect your kid to learn that???

La Jolla Country Day School 5

Posted October 21, 2013
La Jolla Country Day School has exceeded my expectations in every way. It treats each student as an individual and took my son from a point where I wondered whether college was in his future and now, we believe, he may be Ivy material. This isn't a school for parents who want a cookie cutter approach and want to sit back and critique the place. As with all schools there are plenty of challenges when shaping and re-shaping students. But they did a marvelous job with my sometimes cantakerous son and I couldn't be happier.

La Jolla Country Day School 1

Posted October 04, 2013
Unfortunately, LJCDS has not faired well in the financial down turn. They have accepted an increasingly large number of underperforming, poorly behaved, spoiled kids over the last 5 years. The results have been disastrous. If you have a high functioning, hard working child, this is NOT the school for you. Most LJCDS kids don't want to work hard, and the main emphasis is social connections for the parents. This is not an academic institution no matter how many times the head of school says it to you. If you have a lot of money, and can afford a country club environment, complete with spoiled bratty children,many with learning issues, that don't want to work hard, this is the school for you. Otherwise, you best go elsewhere. Many teachers are dedicated and trying hard with the students that they have to deal with. Lots of bullying by nasty overindulged kids. Glorified, expensive, public school.
5 people found this helpful

La Jolla Country Day School 5

Posted August 10, 2013
La Jolla Country Day is the finest school in San Diego, no question. Demanding academics taught by a faculty who cares and is willing to work to insure that every student reaches their potential. An arts department that is fantastic and some of San Diego's most competitive athletic teams that win multiple championships each year. LJCD produces young women and men of character who are sought by, and accepted into, the country's finest universities.
3 people found this helpful

La Jolla Country Day School 1

Posted March 16, 2013
Be careful. This is school that thinks the parents work for them. We had our daughter here for several years and just pulled her this last year. We are so much happier. The administration and the teachers want the kids to fit a very specific framework. They talk a wonderful amount about what they care about and their theory of education but in reality they practice something very different. Our daughter is so much happier at a new school, private and nearby. We wish we hadn't wasted these years. Some of the teachers truly care and truly try but they are overwhelmed by the focus of the administration and the overall tone of the school. The more we research, the more we have found out about how many kids have been leaving.

9490 Genesee Avenue, San Diego, CA  92037
Last modified La Jolla Country Day School is a Private school that serves grades K-12
La Jolla Country Day School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 68 reviews. Top