San Diego, CA
Before care: Yes

Posted December 05, 2014
The teachers don't really teach much in the elementary school. They say the kids learn on their own pace, so the parents can't know if they are on track or not. Many families hire tutors, or send their kids to after school programs for math and language classes. Even in the children's house, many families have tutors to teach reading and writing to their kids. The teachers make the parents feel like their kids have some problems. They put a lot of pressure on the kids and families. We were very relieved when we put our kids to another school.
2 people found this helpful

Posted October 28, 2014
MBMA is an excellent school. The teachers are very hard working and care about each child. While the school is private, it is an excellent value compared with other private schools in the area. I disagree with the parent review from 8/14/2014. I have found that the teachers and administration work at lengths to help children be successful and are willing to make accommodations if needed. I have seen the teachers and director meet with children and their parents, who are having difficulties, to try and help students be successful socially and academically. There is a speech therapist on site at MBMA who is outstanding and can help children with social skills. Unfortunately, there are times when a family may need more resources than a private school can provide or than a family is willing to accept.

Posted October 27, 2014
To continue from my previous post Some may wonder if the more traditional approach to teaching writing skills is warranted in an age in which a flurry of technological innovations is changing how and where and why we write. I would argue it is: students who are confident, skilled writers in one realm will transfer what they have learned to new writing tasks and contexts. Teachers at MBMA create classroom environments that allow students to experience what Gladwell calls the miracle of meaningful work. In my teaching at UC San Diego, I often find myself wishing that more of my first-year college students had experienced the kind of work my son did in the upper elementary grades at MBMA. In fact, it is difficult to imagine a school in which sixth graders receive more sustained practice and meaningful feedback than they do in the program at MBMA. Holly Bauer, Ph.D. Writing Program Administrator UC San Diego Faculty

Posted October 27, 2014
My thoughts on writing instruction at MBMA in the upper elementary grades: MBMA offers a very strong foundation for middle school writing expectations to its students in the upper elementary grades. As a college writing instructor and writing program administrator, I am acutely aware of how difficult it is to maintain such a strong program; and as a parent, I am aware of how difficult it is to find one in a school. The writing instruction at MBMA offers the kinds of sustained, directed practice and consistent, meaningful feedback that Malcolm Gladwell and other researchers advocate the kinds of practice and feedback that build strong, confident writers. Research made popular by Malcolm Gladwell (in Outliers: The Story of Success) demonstrates that success whether in sports, music, computer science or business can be traced to meaningful practice. He makes a compelling case that a crucial foundation for learning anything effectively must include constant, deliberate practice of important basic skills coupled with meaningful feedback. MBMA s writing curriculum is a great model for what he describes. Holly Bauer, Ph.D. Writing Program Administrator UC San Diego Faculty

Mission Bay Montessori Academy 4

Posted May 19, 2014
After eight years at MBMA our child is completing sixth grade and like the other sixth graders, will be attending a top San Diego school in the Fall. While recently going through the entrance processes for the next school, it was very clear that MBMA is a strong feeder school. Many of the Students move on to Bishops, Francis Parker and La Jolla Country Day. The sixth grade class is well respected as independent, well prepared and well rounded students. Most have attended for over 5 years. Each grade at MBMA offers a new level of personal development, education and experiences. Though we are excited about our next school we will miss the staff and families that have been such a big part of our student's growth and happiness at MBMA. We are already planning to come back for a visit!

Posted May 09, 2014
This school is not safe. We had a tour of this school and decided not to enroll our child. Anyone can enter this school easily. We asked the principle how she ensures the security of the children, she said for the first two weeks of school there is an ID check when picking up your child. Then, the teachers know the parents, so they don't need an ID check. But, we visited the school next day, and entered the preschool side, entered a classroom, no one asked us who we were. The teachers at the gates didn't even seem to be aware of us. They were chatting with other teachers. The gates are really low, even a 3 year-old can jump over easily. The elementary part doesn't even has a gate, you can just walk into classrooms. If children decide to run off from school, it is very easy. Or if someone convinces a kid to walk away with him, I don't think anyone would notice. All the other schools we toured had much better security. There were gates and the gates were locked during school hours. The parents can only pass through an office, so it is not possible for strangers just walk into classrooms. If you are concerned for the safety of your children, do not choose this school.

Posted November 21, 2013
MBMA is a great school with strong focus on teaching a solid curriculum, as well as building a solid value system in children. We love the Math, English & Science program curriculum. Music and Art programs are very strong. Teachers are highly experienced with at least 10 years of experience in the respective class levels. Children are treated with much respect and their interests are gently honed towards learning concepts that will last a last a lifetime. Children are trained to be responsible at an early age. Bad behavior in children is addressed strictly and immediately, but with compassion. I would highly recommend the school for children aged 3-11. Especially for families with traditional backgrounds looking for overall development.

Mission Bay Montessori Academy 4

Posted October 31, 2013
MBMA elementary is a wonderful school. It may not be for every family, but if it is the right fit for your child, it will be a great experience. The regular classroom curriculum is challenging, but the children end up being quite independent and know their stuff. Where the school really shines is with the additional classes: All students take music, science, art, Spanish, PE and computer classes each week. These are the important things that are being cut from the public school system, but MBMA has truly outstanding teachers for these additional classes, and the students love them. They also integrate the curriculum across the classes (for example, they learn to use spreadsheets in computer class by using data they collected in science class). I'll also add that it is a great school for working parents. The hours are reasonable (8:15-3:00) and there is on-site after hours care as well as many on-site extra-curricular activities.Hot lunches are organic from Ki's! Cons: Kids who didn't start off in a elementary school like MBMA may have trouble transitioning depending on maturity level. After paying tuition, expect some additional fees ($10-40) esp. at the beginning of the year.

Posted August 14, 2013
We have are just finishing our best summer session yet at MBMA and are looking forward to starting the next academic year. I have two active boys and am impressed with the balance between structured classroom activities and unstructured time such as exploratory nature walks to the nearby park and gravity demonstrations/experiments during science class on the playground. My children have learned their multiplication tables at MBMA as well as how to ride a bike. I have been pleased with various teachers ability and flexibility to identify targeted educational approaches in consideration of learning style and individual personality type. There are so many additional enrichment opportunities for the students including Chinese lessons, singing, band, and art lessons that are not available at many schools. I am thankful that my children have the opportunity to attend school in an academically well-rounded and rich environment with a caring faculty.

Posted August 05, 2013
Horrible. My chief complaint is that the school isn't really Montessori; true Montessori programs are flexible and make use of the "prepared environment" to stimulate learning. MBMA uses (worn out) Montessori materials in a prep-school atmosphere, even with the youngest. They shove their pink/blue/white reading cards down students' throat and foster competition. There is no tolerance for physical aggression, however, emotional/verbal aggression and bullying are standard fare. We watched two kids bullied over the course of the year, probably both with learning disabilities, and it was absolutely heartbreaking to watch them both withdraw and become anxious/sad. Teachers don't communicate well, don't let you know what's going well or not, and the administration is rigid and uncaring. I've never seen so many children look so unhappy. I think the administrators fancy MBMA as a school for the gifted, which is fine, but they need to be more honest. Lots of turnover and many, many families withdrew during the school year (and even a teacher!). Bottom line: if you have a gifted child who is quiet and compliant, this school may be a good fit. Not a great choice for most boys.
3 people found this helpful

Mission Bay Montessori Academy
2640 Soderblom Avenue, San Diego, CA  92122
Last modified Mission Bay Montessori Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-6
Mission Bay Montessori Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 58 reviews. Top