No rating

Ocean View Christian Academy

Private | PK-12 | 300 students

We are best known for college prep, a family atmosphere, and caring teachers.

Living in San Diego

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $240,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,440.

Sweep tile

School Official Point of View

Posted August 5, 2010

Since 1977 Ocean View Christian Academy (formerly Midway) has educated thousands of Southbay students in our caring, Christ-centered environment. We offer everything from preschool, to before and after-school care, to college counseling. We feature limited class sizes, athletics, and a number of electives for secondary students. We ensure our high school students are not only on track to graduate, but also meet the ever-increasing expectations of colleges and universities. Our past two graduating classes averaged 24 seniors, and over $850,000 in scholarships. Parents are provided online access to grades and homework, and communication to parents is usually provided by several means to ensure important information is received. We also post calendars, lunch menus, teacher emails, and other important information on our website. The dress code at OVCA offers a variety of options for boys and girls, plus we do not require that you purchase items from a particular vendor. Guidelines are available in the office or in the Student Handbook, which is also available online. We are continually thankful for the families who trust us with the education of their children, and tirelessly work to assist them with their student's overall personal growth. I invite any potential parent to visit our website at ovcapatriots.com, or call our office at (619) 424-7875. We look forward to talking with you.

Posted February 19, 2014

My daughter is in the primary preschool class for 3 year olds. Its full day and the teachers have been wonderful to her. She is only 3 and knows all the sounds of the alphabet and can write her name independently. Thank you to the staff for working so hard with her!

Posted August 3, 2013

Our oldest has attended OVCA since kindergarten and is going to be in third grade this year. We have been very pleased with the teachers, the class size and the overall learning environment. With our second child entering kindergarten this year, we are expecting him to have the same great experience.

Posted August 1, 2013

I am pleased to have a student in elementary school again this year at OVCA, and am looking forward to their continued academic and spiritual growth. The school did not raise tuition again this year, for which I am thankful and appreciative to the staff who sacrifices so much to serve at OVCA.

Posted August 1, 2013

This school is great. My daughter learns something new everyday and I am always amazed at the wonderful care and attention the teachers bring to the students.

Posted August 1, 2013

I work with the Church and School doing maintenance. I'm everywhere and see just about everything. I'm always amazed how excellent the teachers/staff are. The students are always happy and enjoy being here as well. When my daughter is old enough to attend she will be going here.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 1, 2013

This school is a rare jewel in the San Diego South Bay area. The tuition is purposely as low as possible so as many people who possibly can go are able to afford it. The facilities are wonderful, especially considering they receive no state or federal money. The faculty and administration are very dedicated to their students. The academics are impressive and students consistently test high when compared with other public and private schools. The sports program is also impressive, even though there are not huge numbers of students on which to draw. All of my children attended this school and we are VERY pleased with OVCA!

Posted May 16, 2013

My daughter has attended Ocean View Christian Academy since she was 2 years old. She is now in 10th grade. My two boys (now adults) attended public school here in San Diego. The experience my daughter has had at OVCA is far superior to the public school system. She has had a college mindset since Junior High and has realized the relationship between her grades and her future. My sons did not get this until the first year of college (too late). I am grateful for the time and love that the teachers have invested into my daughter's life. The teachers are invested and care whether the students understand the material. They provide help classes and tutoring for all who need it. Everyone gets to play on the sports teams and the team members benefit from the life lessons that sports teach. An added bonus are the championship seasons that the kids enjoy. I highly expect that my daughter will be very successful in her college career.

Posted May 16, 2013

My son is in first grade at Ocean View Christian Academy, and he has attended the school for two years of preschool and kindergarten. The few times I have had a question, his teachers have always been readily available to meet with me, to listen to my question or concern, and to answer or explain. I appreciate their professionalism and their love for my child displayed through consistent training on how to be a good student.

Posted May 16, 2013

My child is a student at OVCA Preschool. She has learned so much. Not just academically, but socially and spiritually as well. My older children graduated from OVCA years ago, and as great as it was, I see so many changes for the better. I strongly recommend OVCA to anyone interested in a great education and Godly leadership.

Posted March 18, 2013

my granddaughter is in this school but I'm very desapointed because my girl arrives to home with a big scratches on her face and teachers don't know what happens just said that they did not see anything is a lot negligence at the preschool. I hope the principa will read this review and answer me.

Posted June 23, 2011

My 4 kids have attended OVCA for 4 years now. They have been in pre-school through Junior High (and I pray they will graduate from OVCA as well). I LOVE the personal attention given by the teachers and how my kids always feel like an important part of all that is going on. They aren't "lost in the crowd". They offer opportunities that have exposed my kids to new experiences and have developed new talents in my kids that go far beyond academics. My kids are challenged and learn at a pace that FAR exceeds their public school friends (It even surprises my kids!). I love how my elementary kids are involved in athletics and the family atmosphere at school events is a wonderful experience for our family. I realize paying for private education is tough, but I wouldn't send my kids anywhere else.

Posted June 23, 2011

If you are looking for a school with a high standard of excellence, a caring and nurturing staff, a family oriented environment, and a Christ centered education, then I would without reservation recommend OVCA! Our children have been thoroughly prepared for the rigors of both college and life in general. I attribute much of their success to the outstanding preparation that they have received in the PreK-12th grade Academy. The financial sacrifices that we have made are paying greater dividends than we could have ever imagined!

Posted March 17, 2011

My son is attending his second year of preschool with Ocean View Christian Academy. It is a loving environment with Christian values that prepared my pre-schooler for kindergarten.

Posted March 14, 2011

This school is awesome! The teaching staff is wonderful, friendly and very knowledgeable. They are personal and seem like they truly care about my children. There is always something going on. For a small school, it offers quite a lot of extra activities for the students and parents, making us feel like part of a school family.

Posted March 14, 2011

OVCA preschool is amazing. My son's teacher is truely gifted. When he began in August, he was a 2 and a half year old wild child. Now he can identify every letter, shape, and number. He has learned tons of Bible verses and songs. He even corrects my manners. The facility is spotless, but still warm and inviting. Even the office staff is great. I am so thankful the Lord brought us to OVCA.

Posted March 14, 2011

OVCA preschool is great. My son is 3 years old and has learned so much already. He has a great teacher, and loves to talk about school when we pick him up.

Posted August 5, 2010

Our oldest child entered this school (early elementary) last year and we were very pleased. His progression in reading and math were very positive, and his class scored high on standardized tests. We are looking forward to his second year.

Posted July 8, 2010

Is now called Ocean View Christian Academy. There was too much inconsistency in offered curriculum (one year a class was offered the next not), not enough electives,teacher turn-over seems high even in mid-school year, communication with parents is last minute, dress code is inflexible and overly emphasized,social groups are somewhat elitist and bullying goes on. We pulled out.

Posted September 28, 2009

midway baptist a good elementary school but as a high school it does not provide the necessary academic or social diversity needed by students in order to grow independently.

Posted June 9, 2008

Wondeful Teachers that instill the values that are not being taught in public schools

Ethnicity This school
Black 3%
American Indian/Alaska Native 0%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Southwestern Christian School
St. Charles Catholic School
public schools
Percentage of students going to 2-year college 40% (2012)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 50% (2012)
Percentage of students going to vocational programs 10% (2012)
Colleges most students attend after graduation U. of CA schools
Private/Christian Colleges
Community Colleges
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
College counselor(s)
Cooking/Nutrition teacher(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
School social worker/counselors(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • SD Air & Space "Fly Your Ride" Contest (1st and 4th place) (2013)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 2:45 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Stephen R. Johnson
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 2 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Mathematics
  • Religious
  • Science
  • Service learning
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
Languages supported by ESL/ELL programs
  • Chinese (Mandarin)
  • Spanish
Vocational or skills-based training offered

• Assistant principal(s)
  • College counselor(s)
  • Cooking/Nutrition teacher(s)
  • ELL/ESL Coordinator
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Drama
Media arts
  • Technical design and production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • BIble studies

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Cafeteria aide
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Volunteer in the classroom