Gillispie School, The 3

Posted June 28, 2014
Although there are many strengths to the school community the academics are largely disappointing. Our daughter attended for two years and learned less than she would have gained in our local public school. During the summer between 1st and 2nd grade I ended up teaching her reading skills that should have been taught the previous year but were largely missed.
2 people found this helpful

Posted November 13, 2013
We have been sending out son to Gillispie for the past year and a half in the school's Early Childhood program. I could not be happier. The teachers have surpassed my expectations greatly, and I am astonished by the intellectual caliber of the individuals who teach my 4 year old. The teachers are sharp, fully engaged, and caring. I trust my child with them completely. Gillispie also offers a great community. Even the teachers who have never had my son know him by name, as do the administrative staff. We feel like we are part of a larger family, and that is something I would have never expected from a school.

Posted November 11, 2013
It's more than another school; it's an environment, culture and extended family we feel blessed to be part of. Gillispie completely squashed my preconceived notions of private/independent schools.

Posted October 30, 2013
This school is excellent. My son attended here many years ago and is now in High School. Although I feel there is a little bit less focus on academic curriculum than other schools, they absolutely encourage the kids to do great things and get them interested in technology from a young age. There's a great culture of independence and independent learning at this school. All the teachers and faculty are excellent, and many have been there for over 15 years. They've just added a new sports field as well for additional exercise. A few tips: If you want your kids to excel in a particular sport, get them involved early-on after school. The PE program provides decent exercise, but kids may be unprepared for Middle School PE or High School level Sports. Also, buy your kid a Mac very early. The culture is very Apple-centered and your child will be incredible with technology if they are able to self-develop their skills. After attending Gillispie through 5th grade, most kids move on to Bishops with all their friends. Although you can send them somewhere else, I suggest you send them there if you can afford it. Fitting in at a public school for can be difficult.

Posted June 17, 2013
This school absolutely celebrates each child throughout their career at Gillispie. The staff is extremely talented and the director, Allison is inspiring to our community and a great role model for our children. The staff really meets the needs of each child and they can largely due to the small class size.

Posted January 30, 2013
Both of my children go to Gillispie, and I can attest that it is a truly vibrant and dynamic place to learn. Our boys are thriving. The teachers are top notch and are willing to go the distance to ensure that each child reaches his/her potential. The head of school is outstanding, and her door is always open. The BEST news regarding The Gillispie School, is that it is expanding its campus! In just a couple of short months, there will be a new grass field for the kids to play on. The major expansion is going to be amazing!

Gillispie School, The 4

Posted January 10, 2012
My child has been a student at Gillispie for three years. She is reading, writing, singing, dancing, socializing and loving it all - everything that we had hoped for. We love the play based learning - as it has created a fun way to learn new things. The Art is fabulous. Most of all, she is one happy little kid and she loves school. She is currently in Kindergarden, and will likely stay at Gillispie for the first grade as well. The school really is too small, first graders competing for play space with 6th grade kids. Thus, the four Stars. The kids have to play on the walk way - so as a Parent at Pick Up time, you're likely to be tripped or hit with a ball, and the kids don't seem to "care"... and there's really no other place to play. that's my one complaint.

Posted November 08, 2011
The Gillispie School is a welcoming,kind, and gentle school. I have one child that graduated from the 6th grade after attending the school for 10 years, and another child still attending the school. Our Gillispie graduate is currently thriving in middle school, and entered extremely well prepared by her teachers at Gillispie. The school does a wonderful job instlling compassion and understanding of others, and the older kids are great in their interactions with the preschoolers. We love Gillispie.

Posted October 27, 2011
We have been at the school for six years and what is most amazing about the school is the partnership between the parents and the teachers in educating our children. The teachers are never too busy to respond immediately to an e-mail, take a phone call or meet in person. They are dedicated to making our children's educational experience the best it can be while at the same time helping them to grown socially and emotionally and become good citizens and good community members. It is truly the ideal elementary school experience.

Posted September 19, 2011
My daughter has just begun her 10th year at The Gillispie School. She started out a few days a week in the preschool program and is now in 5th grade. She is receiving an excellent, well rounded education. The school offers a top notch technology, art, music and science program. A few years ago the school received an amazing $4.5 million gift to establish The Gillispie Endowment for Excellence in Teaching. This endowment is used to recruit, retain and further educate the teaching staff. The teachers have had the opportunity to attend a variety of top education conferences throughout the world and pass that knowledge onto the students. Thanks to the endowment and strong administrative leadership Gillispie has a excellent, motivated and appreciated teaching staff.

Gillispie School, The