K-6|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (7 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (7 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (6 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers are one of the best things about this school. You can tell they really care about your student and they care about getting to your family. We have been so blessed by her teacher this year, and are confident that next year her teacher will be just as wonderful.

Amount of homework: Agree

My student has about 20-30 minutes of homework a night, and unless she's working on a special project. I feel this is appropriate for her grade level, and she has often come home with it finished having worked on it during aftercare.

Develops character: Strongly agree

We love the school's Gillispie values. We love the way students reference the values during conflict resolution and are truly expected to live by them.

This was our first year at The Gillispie School and I can say that it will be our first of many. We are so happy with our decision to send our daughter to Gillispie. We love that the school mixes traditional curriculum benchmarks with project-based learning. We feel our daughter is hitting all the milestones while having a well-rounded, hands-on experience. So far the specialities have been great. We would like to see more Spanish or at least have what is going on in Spanish communicated to parents better. The values system is wonderful and we are impressed by the school's warmth and community feel. We couldn't be happier.

I just got off the phone with my daughter, who is well into her first job as a psychiatric counselor in a big city. I want to offer thanks to all the schools she attended on her path to this success, starting with The Gillispie School in La Jolla, Ca, which taught her the habits of academic rigor and compassionate that are so important in what she is doing now. Good habits in learning and citizenship have to be taught early; Gillispie did that for my daughter and for so many other children of families I know.

Develops character: Disagree

The director of the school does not present with honesty or integrity, so how does the school as a whole represent this virtue.

At Gillispie you will find a nurturing academic environment that emphasizes personal accountability and respect for others. I am continuously impressed by the passion of both the teachers and administration. Most importantly, my child is happy at Gillispie.

A word of caution. Do not trust all the glowing reviews on this site. Reading the snarky responses to all the negative reviews makes me wonder if the school's marketing person is actively monitoring this site and posting fake reviews here. Anyway, you should know that the head of school hand-picks certain parents to be on a "marketing committee" and asks those parents to review the school. Obviously, on the hook, those parents are going to leave good reviews. I know because I was one of those parents. Tellingly, three of the six or so parents who were on the committee last year have already left the school for other private schools in the area. I knew quite a few disgruntled parents, but they felt that they could not speak up because they were worried that their child would suffer as a result. One of the comments even referred to a negative reviewer as a "rabble rouser." Why shouldn't parents speak up when a school falls short? Isn't this the point of this site? But Gillispie is that kind of place -- where you are faulted for even speaking up.

This school is a beautiful place for children. Having just helped out for their open house, I feel more strongly than ever that this is a community of dedicated parents, teachers, staff, and students who love Gillispie and believe in what the school is doing. It's a shame that the disgruntled rabble-rouser is the type of person who spends time going onto these sites to submit reviews, because if all of the community members who have had positive experiences shared them on here, the increase in 5 star reviews would be exponential. Have a visit to the school and see for yourself what it's like :)

I love Gillispie. My 2nd grader comes home everyday with a smile and hops out of the car every morning ready for the day.

Last modified Gillispie School, The is a Private school that serves grades K-6