K-6|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (6 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (7 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (7 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (7 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted May 09, 2016
The teachers are one of the best things about this school. You can tell they really care about your student and they care about getting to your family. We have been so blessed by her teacher this year, and are confident that next year her teacher will be just as wonderful.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted May 09, 2016
My student has about 20-30 minutes of homework a night, and unless she's working on a special project. I feel this is appropriate for her grade level, and she has often come home with it finished having worked on it during aftercare.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted May 09, 2016
This year our class had two students enter late from other countries with very different cultural background. I must admit that as a mother I was wondering how integrating these new students would play out and whether it would create any issues in the social groups. The outcome was beyond what I could have imagined. Both students were welcomed by the other kids with open arms, and treated with extra kindness while they adjusted to their new surroundings. The students even celebrate their new peer's cultures during special presentations. I really feel like the teachers encourage the loving, compassionate attitudes I've seen in the kids and I am very thankful for that.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted May 09, 2016
We love the school's Gillispie values. We love the way students reference the values during conflict resolution and are truly expected to live by them.

Posted May 09, 2016
This was our first year at The Gillispie School and I can say that it will be our first of many. We are so happy with our decision to send our daughter to Gillispie. We love that the school mixes traditional curriculum benchmarks with project-based learning. We feel our daughter is hitting all the milestones while having a well-rounded, hands-on experience. So far the specialities have been great. We would like to see more Spanish or at least have what is going on in Spanish communicated to parents better. The values system is wonderful and we are impressed by the school's warmth and community feel. We couldn't be happier.

Posted March 31, 2016
I just got off the phone with my daughter, who is well into her first job as a psychiatric counselor in a big city. I want to offer thanks to all the schools she attended on her path to this success, starting with The Gillispie School in La Jolla, Ca, which taught her the habits of academic rigor and compassionate that are so important in what she is doing now. Good habits in learning and citizenship have to be taught early; Gillispie did that for my daughter and for so many other children of families I know.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted March 23, 2016
Ha. The curriculum is so poor, no grit has a chance of being developed. Easy A school is Gillispies nickname.

Develops respect: Disagree

Posted March 23, 2016
The over focus on children of rich families dominates this culture. How does respect develop when families are treated differently if they are big donors vs. ones that are not donating? That is NOT respect.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted March 23, 2016
The director of the school does not present with honesty or integrity, so how does the school as a whole represent this virtue.

Posted February 26, 2016
At Gillispie you will find a nurturing academic environment that emphasizes personal accountability and respect for others. I am continuously impressed by the passion of both the teachers and administration. Most importantly, my child is happy at Gillispie.

7380 Girard Avenue, San Diego, CA  92037