San Diego, CA

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted June 29, 2015
My daughter attended Kindergarten here and will be going back for 1st Grade. I am very happy with the progress my daughter has exhibited. In Kindergarten, they were made to do a fair amount of work in class and were sent back with reading and comprehension questions as homework. The year started off with just 20 minutes of reading. It then graduated to eading along with comprehension questions to answer on a worksheet. Later on the written book report was added. My daughter had to work on 1 book report per week. Finally they added the oral book report exercise which was more of a class work but I just made her practice a little bit at home or hear her once. I love Christ The Cornerstone Academy not only for their academics but also for the overall education that is imparting the right values to my child. Thank you so much Miss Brioness and Miss Liao for doing such a wonderful job with my daughter!

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted June 24, 2015
Christ the Cornerstone Academy has some of the best teachers in the nation. They have Master degrees, along with other degrees, and have ongoing education. Because of their level of education coupled with the love, kindness, and respect they show the children, they are highly effective!

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted June 24, 2015
Christ the Cornerstone Academy does seat work in the classroom and an age appropriate amount of homework is sent home so parents can work with their children.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted June 24, 2015
Christ the Cornerstone Academy fosters persistence, grit, and determination. A REAL LIFE EXAMPLE: Leaving one morning to take my son to school, I was having difficulty backing my vehicle out of the garage as I parked too close the wall and the second car in the garage was too close to me... I tried over and over to get the car out of the garage without hitting anything and got VERY frustrated. From the back seat I hear my five year old son tell me "mommy you will be ok, you just need to persevere." WOW, he really changed my mindset and I was able to calmly back my vehicle out of the garage. Once I was in the driveway, I asked my son if he knew what 'persevere' meant and he gave me the correct answer. I asked him where he learned about perseverance and his response was "my teacher."

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted June 24, 2015
My son has been attending Christ the Cornerstone Academy for two years (preschool), and will begin Kindergarten in September. He has been treated with the greatest respect by all the teachers and staff. As a result, he treats others in his life with kindness and respect.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted June 24, 2015
All of the teachers and staff are kind, patient, loving, and nurturing. They take the time to get to really know each child and their family. All the teachers at Christ the Cornerstone Academy teach with the highest level of care, respect, and love for the children.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 24, 2015
My son is five years old and attends preschool at Christ the Cornerstone Academy (CTCA). I initially planned to keep him there for preschool only. Now that he has been attending for two years we will absolutely keep him at Christ the Cornerstone Academy through fifth grade. The teachers and staff are amazing. They are highly educated, caring, and patient. My son has learned a lot and I attribute his new knowledge base to the education he is receiving at CTCA. They use an ABeka curriculum. That combined with the amazing teacher he has... he is reading, can write all his letters (and words), calculate simple math problems, and more. The teachers and staff members are wonderful and my husband and I have gotten to know most of them. They are a second family. The classroom ratio is very low. I believe it is 12:1 for preschool and 14:1 for elementary school. The small class size was one of our deciding factors to keep our son at the school for the duration of his elementary education. I never wanted him to get lost in a classroom of 28+ students and now we don't have to worry about that issue. Security is important to us as well with all the unfortunate events that have been happening on school campuses across the nation over the past several years. CTCA has a camera security system. Locking gates. One entry into the school (going past the office staff) and only one exit. They are consistently working to improve security to keep the safest environment possible. I can go on and on about the school as we feel so blessed to have found it. Bottom line is I would highly recommend this school!

Posted May 16, 2013
I have two children in Christ the Cornerstone; one in preschool and one in Kindergarten. Being a military family, we are constantly on the move and it is usually our children that have the most difficulty coping with the change. With that being said, finding a warm, loving, understanding environment for my children is always my highest priority, second to none. I researched schools all over the area before settling on Christ the Cornerstone and I couldn't be any happier. The education that my boys are getting is top notch and only second to the amount of love and attention that they receive here. When my current Kindergartener first started school I was extremely apprehensive. He is a VERY rambunctious child who often has the attention span of a butterfly, but he already tests past a first grade level for public school and my preschooler would already test out of a public school Kindergarten! The Preschool rivals the grade school in every way and my youngest ADORES all of the preschool teachers, (Who often help one another). Everyone at CTC is wonderful and we are going to be sad to have to leave this school when the time comes as it has become part of our family!

Posted February 07, 2012
CTCA is a great school! The teachers are compassionate and attentive to my kids. My kids are currently are in preschool and I plan to have them attend CTCA for kindergarten. I have seem my kids develop and learn much more that most preschoolers. My kids love school very much, they even want to go on the weekends. The curriculum is extremely high and they flourish in the warm and loving environment. It is extremely important to shape and guide the young minds at an early age. This learning experience is the backbone for their future education!

9028 Westmore Road, San Diego, CA  92126
Last modified Christ The Cornerstone Lutheran Academy is a Private school that serves grades K-5
Christ The Cornerstone Lutheran Academy Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top