San Diego, CA
Before care: Yes

Child's Primary, The 2

Posted October 07, 2014
My son went to this school for one year (4th/5th combo class) and I have some opinions....First of all our decision (I think) to xfer our son to this school was based on wrong assumption. Private school with $15000/year tuition does not mean you are getting the high quality competitive education like Cathedral or other prep schools. It also does not mean that your kid is in with a bunch of smart kids. All it means that your kid is in with kids whose parents can afford it. And some of them have SEVERE behavior issues. Now, I am not saying that my kid didn't learn anything or didn't get a better quality education than public school system, he probably did. He also took part in some wonderful projects that he thoroughly enjoyed but was it worth my $15g ? I doubt it ! There are some Great teachers and than there are some who shouldn't be teaching at all. There was a definite show of favoritism by a few teachers especially towards multiple kids families. My kid got into trouble for something very minor and had a in class suspension but another kid didn't get anything for doing something VERY MAJOR. Off course my kid was marked after that. Well needles to say we're not there anymore.

Posted January 07, 2014
I have a daughter brand new to this school (5th grade) the moment I knew that I loved this school was when she came home and told me that she loved algebra! Coming from my child that was less than interested in any subject at her previous school. The teachers and staff are great and my daughter raves about how much she loves being at school. Whenever she struggles in school academically I have recieved calls from her teacher to find a solution which I think is amazing! Most schools just wait until the parent recieves the bad report card. They have a science lab, teach spanish, and the 5th graders run a "coffee shop to teach business skills. I adore this school and I am so happy that we found it! Highly recommened.

Posted October 09, 2013
With such small class sizes it s impossible for a student to not have close attention from the teacher. The school emphasizes a hands on approach for children to learn and research without a hint of ROTE learning. It s very academic, dynamic, interesting, and fun. Unlike last year at the public school, both of our children LOVE going to school. I appreciate the thinking outside the box approach and I enjoy hearing my children tell me about their projects. Another benefit of such a small school is that students quickly know each other. The activities allow kids to work across age groups, so my son has friends in kindergarten, first, second, and even third grade. The older students have been nice, and it s rewarding to see a first grader wave and yell to kids much older and get a positive response. The children play across grades/ages/boys and girls together. I feel a huge burden has been lifted from my shoulders. My workload supervising and assisting my daughter has gone down to almost zero. I talked to the teacher and I got detailed feedback that showed me that the teacher understood my daughter better than any previous teacher had. TCPS is a hidden gem.

Posted June 07, 2013
Choosing a school for your child can be a daunting task but I know we made the right decision for our son by sending him to TCPS. My son just finished attending here as a Kindergartener. I love how small the school is, how the students all work together throughout the school year in cross-age groups, and how the school really fosters a sense of community among the students. Every child feels "safe" and they can be an individual without fear of being judged by others. As for the academics, my son has a love of learning and looks forward to reading and learning math everyday. His class studied an environment (Mt. Fuji) this year and all the lessons focused around Mt. Fuji. He just really loved school! Every teacher knows every student and every student knows all the other students. The 4th and 5th graders were reading buddies to the Kindergarteners. There is a Thanksgiving Feast where the students prepare the meals in cross-age groups. The Big Event showcases the multiple talents of the school and the students. We just love this school!

Posted November 19, 2012
We have two children at TCPS and could not be happier. Some of the things we love - TCPS teaches kids 'how to learn'. They learn critical thinking, research abilities and how to express thoughts/ideas. Graduating students are usually accepted to top private schools, charter schools or honors programs at local high school. - The school reinforces the importance of being thoughtful, when to lead and when to follow. It also has a very real world feel diversity, down-to-earth), yet our children do not have to deal with many of the environmental challenges at most schools. Don't want to shelter them, but less negative influences can be good. - Grades are limited to 12-14 students; ensures students get individual attention they need to reach their potential. Our kids LOVE going to school (1 elementary, 1 middle). Best best kept secret in San Diego...families love it and half the cost of many other top private schools. That said, the school is for families that highly value a place is focused on the kids. If you are looking for a private school that will enrich your personal social life/status you will not like what they find. Which is part of why the culture remains so great :-)

Posted November 08, 2012
My child is in seventh grade and has been here since 3rd grade. The school philosphy of instilling the love of learning really shows. When my child arrived he had hated school due to some very bad teachers at his last school. they worked hard with him and within months he was eager to go to school. Not only is he learning great academic skills, he is learning how to learn. The writing and research program is unbelievable.

Posted November 08, 2012
We moved our son here mid-year in Kindergarten after leaving another private school. He is now in 1st grade. Our son LOVES his new school. There is a strong sense of community across the grade levels. Students are engaged and inspired. The class sizes are small allowing children to get individualized attention. The teachers are phenomenal. TCPS focuses on the whole child and has a strong social-emotional curriculm.

Posted September 07, 2012
I have two kids in this school. We have been here since the oldest was in Kindergarten and now she is a middle schooler. I have never for one moment regretted the money we have spent to send them here. I truly believe this is the best school in San Diego. The small classes, the individual attention, the cross-age learning, the social-emotional curriculum, all of it is amazing. The teachers are all top-notch, devoted professionals who care about all the students and their success. Even more amazing, every year the school gets better. Administrators and the board actively seek parent input on ways to improve the school and act on that input. My kids have been so happy here and have learned not just the material to pass a test, but how to be a good person, a good student, and a good member of a community. I saw the review from a concerned uncle or aunt and I can't even imagine how they could be describing this school. My only conclusion is that they made a mistake in the school they were reviewing. At TCPS, if your child is having a problem in the classroom, the teachers will work with you and your child to resolve it. Awesome school!

Child's Primary, The 1

Posted June 25, 2012
My niece went to this school and the lack of teacher control was startling. Her class was able to do whatever they wanted and no discipline was instated due to the fact that the teachers want the students to be "free" in their actions. Such a joke. There was no accountability for their actions which made the environment for the niece incredibly uncomfortable. I do not recommend this school to anyone looking for more than a expensive, unstructured daycare.

Posted April 05, 2011
TCPS is THE school we were looking for. My son is thriving there. We have been with them for 2 years now. We could not ask for anything more in a school. They have a great philosophy and they are what they say they are. The teachers are awesome, loving and caring. One on one attention is great due to small class size of 12 students per class. My son does not want to leave school when I go to pick him up. After school daycare is great too. Very creative activities in after school daycare for the kids to be busy. Best part about TCPS is that - My son is excited to go to school every single day!!!!!

Child's Primary, The