K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Posted January 04, 2016
We are extremely satisfied with SDFAS. Our two sons have been enrolled since PK and they have been offered a great education. Their French is at the same level any child their age has in France and their English is extremely strong. As an international family we find theses skills will help them succeed in any country or education system. Our children love their school.

Posted August 06, 2015
San Diego French-American School ("SDFAS") is, by far, the best Pre-K-8 program in San Diego. I wanted a rigorous academic environment and meaningful cultural experience for my daughter, and I'm so fortunate to have found SDFAS. It is a dual-language immersion school that turns out smart, culturally sophisticated kids, with super strong academics, particularly in math and science, and a mastery of the French and English languages, I have two older children who have gone through traditional private schools, and although they received a great education, it does not compare to what my younger child is learning and will continue to learn at SDFAS. When she graduates, she will be completely bilingual (she already can speak French beautifully and effortlessly without any exposure at home) and possess broad global knowledge, a strong work ethic and extraordinary academic discipline due to the intensity of completing a dual-language program. All this at a cost significantly less than other private schools in the area. The magic of SDFAS is hard to pinpoint, but it must be the combination of the exceptional quality of teachers and the truly diverse cultural experience. The academic program is difficult, but the teachers help their students succeed by being knowledgable and passionate, yet tough and results-oriented. The class size is small and students receive considerable individualized attention. The frequent feedback about her progress, both academically and socially, is remarkable and goes way beyond what I expected. The school is extremely diverse, with a student body representing something like 35 different nationalities, so students are exposed to languages and experiences from all over the world. I truly love SDFAS. I feel like I'm giving my daughter such a gift with bilingual education and she's truly becoming a "citizen of the world." I'm so excited about the possibilities that will be open for her after her experience at SDFAS. I can see already that she is developing into a hardworking, confident individual, after facing and overcoming the daily challenge of speaking in a language that she does not hear at home. She is also a culturally sensitive person, tolerant and respectful of others' differences. These are characteristics that are hard to teach, but are learned automatically at this very special school.

San Diego French-American School 1

Posted June 26, 2015
So bad French level!! My son stayed 2 years in that school, he was in 7th grade when he had test about 4th grade level!! Of course, he had always A, A+, sometimes A++ ??? What?? That's not what I am looking for. I don't want to pay a school who offers A to kids....They need to be challenged!! Next year, my son will enroll a public school and will follow Cned french program on saturdays mornings with OohLaLa French Language Tutoring :)

Posted August 06, 2014
Our children have attended SDFAS for 6 and 2 years respectively. We are English-speaking parents and both children are bilingual French/English (with expected gaps for vocabulary that would not covered in school). Additionally, they are well ahead of their English-only speaking peers in math and science. All the teachers have been wonderful however, our eldest's 3rd grade French teacher (F.T.) and English teacher (E.P) are both exceptional teachers that I would highly recommend to any parent. The pre-school staff is very compassionate and committed to nurturing students. Any incidents that have arisen during our six years at SDFAS have been swiftly dealt with by the administration to our mutual satisfaction. Tuition may be pricey but the education that our children are receiving is priceless.

Posted June 23, 2014
SDFAS is a great school. We are a French family living in San Diego and our teenager has just spend two wonderful years in the middle school. There are only 15 students per class and the teachers are very understandable, helpful in many ways and know so well our children. Since his first day at the SDFAS when he arrives in 6th Grade, our son enjoyed this school right away. Every student is welcoming the new students so easily, it was amazing to see how fast they all become friends. The school also organizes many after school activities that my son didn't know which to choose, several potlucks for Halloween, Christmas or other fun events. It's always a plesaure for the parents to meet the other parents. When you are new in the area, administrative people and parents are always here and ready to help you to make you feel good. This school is like a big family atmosphere where everbody is happy to be part of it. Now we are going back to France and our son is able to enter any school he wants to in France, even in International Section. So great experience, too bad it doesn't last!

Posted May 07, 2014
This is my son's forth year here, he started in the two year old preschool. We love it. The classes are small, the teachers are great and the administration awesome. I love that my son is learning two languages and is exposed to a very international culture. His vocabulary in both languages is amazing. More important, he loves going to school every day!

Posted February 28, 2014
We love the San Diego French American School (SDFAS)! I have two kids who came from a much-touted small charter school where they went from being far ahead in reading to way below their peer group. Then we came to SDFAS. The teachers and staff are superb! Friendly yet professional, they seem to gently exhort the children to do their very best work. The turnaround in my children is nothing short of stunning. Writing in cursive, in both English and French, and being eager to do homework! The math curriculum is the same as used in the French schools and is very intuitive and fun for my kids. Worth every cent!

Posted January 22, 2014
As a former student of San Diego French American School I can say that I look back at my time with the fondest of memories to include the beautiful friendships I made, the diversity in my learning experiences, and the opportunities it opened up for me as a young adult. I attended SDFAS in 3rd grade, and then again from 6th - 8th grade but I did not realize the value of my time spent there until I graduated from the middle school program and went on to a larger school system. I immediately noticed differences in my level of knowledge, my sense of responsibility with my school work, my ability to think outside of the box and especially my problem solving skills when comparing to other students in my 9th grade classes. Now at 25, working as a director of marketing for a statewide pediatric home healthcare company in Texas, I still practice the work methods I was taught at SDFAS. I would love to be able to give my children future children the same opportunity I had by attending SDFAS as I know I would not be where I am today had I attended any other school in San Diego.

Posted November 25, 2013
My kids have been in the SDFAS since preschool, one of them has graduated last year and is now at La Jolla High. Not only has it been a nurturing and highly academic environment but we also felt supported at every step (we are not french speakers). As a result of my children are very aware about other cultures, have inquisitive minds and are good kids. The classes are small so their relationships are very close and they feel like they matter (and are not only a number). My son had no problem transitioning to La Jolla High, was placed on some advance classes and has no problem getting A's. Best decision we made!!

Posted October 22, 2013
My daughter went to the San Diego French American School for the 2nd half of 8th grade last year. This was one of the best experiences of her life, and had a major positive impact on her confidence and preparation for high school. She had been taking French from a tutor for several years, but we had no immersion school available in our home town. We had to temporarily move to San Diego for work, and thought this would be a great opportunity for her to gain greater expertise in French. The school was extremely accommodating, and all of the students and teachers worked very hard to make her feel welcome and to integrate her into the curriculum. They were very willing to work extra with her when needed, and were very clearly concerned about her specific needs and skills. It was truly a wonderful experience for our daughter, and we have only positive things to say about this school and the way in which it enhanced both her skills and her confidence in her own abilities.

San Diego French-American School
6550 Soledad Mountain Road, San Diego, CA  92037
Last modified San Diego French-American School is a Private school that serves grades K-8
San Diego French-American School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top