No rating

Waldorf School Of San Diego

Private | K-12 | 308 students

Living in San Diego

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $170,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,240.

Posted January 23, 2012

This is such a wonderful school, populated by a diverse and welcoming group of families, and loving, dedicated teachers. The school has a non-denomenational spiritual underpinning to the curriculum while avoiding any type of dogma or doctrine, thereby welcoming families of many different religions. My child has been thriving here for 10 years and counting. She is engaged in the world, respectful to her elders and peers alike, is willing to try new things (even when initially she thinks she won't like it), getting awesome grades, lends a hand in her community both inside and outside school, and is well thought of by teachers and schoolmates. Despite a few naysayers who state there is some "secret society" or other such nonsense, our family has found a warm and welcoming community here. Diversity thrives here in all it's human forms so if you have been trying to find a school that is just the right fit, do your family a huge favor - go take a tour at The Waldorf School of San Diego and see for yourself. Happy, healthy kids who can' wait to hear the next story, answer the next question and welcome their next friend!

Posted January 16, 2012

I come from a family of high achievers: my mother graduated from Radcliffe, my grandfather was a professor at both Columbia and Harvard, my sister is a nurse, leader and teacher at Johns Hopkins University. I chose the Waldorf School of San Diego for my daughter because (as I've learned) the students aren't told what to see (in the traditional sense of an education; this is X, that is Y) they are given the freedom (through experiments, writing, movement, and artistic work, for example) to discover it. I am thrilled that my daughter will go to the new high school, where she will take classes in social justice, science, mathematics, visual art and theater. I feel that she has been able to discover so many things in her education (big things, small things): she has learned to knit, sew on a machine, she learned to juggle; she has created projects in language arts and history, she sings, acts in plays--that when she goes on to higher education (and into her life) she will be so used to this variety of experience she will not only have confidence and character, she will have will and imagination--things so desperately needed in our fast-paced, one-track world.

Posted November 16, 2011

This school is the perfect fit for my son. His understanding of math, his love of reading, knitting, singing, hand games - his love of LEARNING - just blows me away. I drive six WSSD children from grades one through eight in my car pool and not only do they play well together on our long drive, they are bright, funny and respectful to each other and to me. We are early on in our journey through Waldorf and while I love where we are (also in 2nd grade, as is another recent reviewer), I find it hard to await the wonders of the coming years. I regularly join the monthly tours so I can visit the other grades and see what is coming next. I feel so blessed to have Waldorf as a part of our lives. WSSD is a great school with loving teachers and wonderful staff. I can't recommend it enough.

Posted November 10, 2011

I couldn't be more impressed with my daughter's teacher - 2nd grade. She engages the children with amazing lesson plans that really come to life. Rudolf Steiner said, "Every lesson should always contain an element of 'flying.' " Steiner said of singing lessons-and this holds true for all lessons-that the teacher should strive for the children to have at least one "tingle" moment or "goosebump" experience during each class. My daughter's teacher does this everyday. My daughter shares all the wonderful things they do in class - her doing this is a measure of the effectiveness of the Waldorf Education!

Posted November 9, 2011

All 3 of my children attended the Waldorf School of San Diego. They are all very successful--academically, professionally, and socially. They were able to achieve high academic standards at competitive universities; my oldest has a Ph.D in Econimics.

Posted November 9, 2011

The best school in San Diego bar none! Teachers are amazing, the staff and administration really listen and care, the parents are super involved and the children are outstanding!

Posted August 8, 2011

My son has been going to the school since he was 2 years old (total of 5 years). I love everything about this school. I wish I attended such school when I was growing up. Great community, great group of kids, the teachers are devoted and loving. I believe the school has a major role in how my son is.

Posted June 24, 2011

Used to love this school. Bought into the physical beauty at every turn. Great early education program. Caring staff. Young HS program w/potential. Fun festivals & community through volunteering. Reasonable tuition too. After this last year ~ no more. Community evolved into the secret society of those "committed" to Waldorf Education & the rest who weren't Steiner's diehard followers. Administration became $$ driven instead of human-centered. Teachers became much more into Steiner's anthroposophy to the point of question. Tuition no longer affordable, many families were forced to leave, or to choose which children stayed at the school or had to go somewhere else. No extra help for kids w/special learning needs because it's not recognized in anthroposophy. So now we're one of those former Waldorf families...healing. If the biggest lesson learned from this, we should've researched Steiner's anthroposophy BEFORE enrolling. It's a HUGE commitment of $ & resources not to understand the philosophy & its implications on you & your children. If we knew what we now know about anthroposophy, our children would've never been enrolled in the school in the 1st place.

Posted April 5, 2011

My daughter has been going here for years with great results. Its a truly unique program and mood here. On one hand kind of "new age" with veggie foods, natural materials, low emphasis on team sports, unicycles at recess, etc. On the other hand it is probably the most traditional school in town in some ways: Christmas carols allowed, no computers (or any other electronic media), real blackboards, cursive writing, every child learns music. Great chance for parent involvement, in fact it is expected. Kids make more books than they read. Very "team" oriented, with none of that remedial, gifted, "honor student" stuff, so you have to be the type that does not need a child for your ego boost. Grading is vague, so you need to ask lots of questions of the teacher. Good moral atmosphere always.

Posted February 24, 2011

I am looking into this school for my first grader , she is a very smart girl she reads at grade 4 level and doing math at grade 3 level and she gets really board at her public school . we have issue's about our school with their sick kids policy and the teachers who are busy getting back at the parents who asks for their rights . so can anyone please tell me if this school is good school for us .

Posted February 2, 2011

I am thrilled that my daughter now has the opportunity to continue her Waldorf education all the way through Grade 12 with the new high school. Her favorite subjects last year were Chemistry, Physics and Physiology. This year she made cheese as part of her Chemistry homework! Rather than just focusing on the intellect, all their senses are valued. Music, painting, modeling, knitting, woodwork, gardening and farming, movement and dance, non-competitive games, unicycling, and so much more are PART OF THE CURRICULUM - not electives or extra-curricular. The students love each other like family, and the parent body are frequently lending a hand on campus so that the warmth and engagement in the life of the school is palpable. The end result is a young adult with a strong sense of self as well as a caring for others. And the Tuition Aid program is more generous than any other I've seen, precisely so that families from all economic circumstances can participate. They are also ethnically and socially diverse so I encourage you to join a tour and see for yourself.

Posted March 13, 2009

Waldorf education is the best you can want for your child. Unfortunately this is unobtainable for poor kids. With a bunch of upfront fees, like registration, enrollment, supplies etc. you can easily spend $500 up front. Tuition assistance is up to 50% off for the first child which leaves you still with at least $400 per mo. Which parent with a minimum wage job can afford that? Let alone a parent with more than one child? The exclusion of children for that reason is not in line with the purpose Waldorf was started: for the kids of blue collar workers!

Posted July 29, 2006

My child has attended the Waldorf School of San Diego since 2003. We couldn't be happier! We love that we found a school that values the development of a child and that the teachers are in tuned to the needs of the children at every stage of their development.

Posted June 7, 2006

My child went to this school and is now has a 4.0 GPA student at her high School, I am so proud of her, this school was a good place to start at :)

Posted December 8, 2005

I love the Waldorf Schools preschool program. It is very appropriate for the young child (3-4 yrs of age) in every way. We are grateful to have found a school where our daughter can live fully into her imagination with her peers. There are 10 children with 2 adults. They sing, play, cook, storytelling etc. The snacks are very nutritious and the environment is full of natural wooden toys that are very engaging for the imagination.

Posted December 2, 2005

I was initially impressed with their reputation and preschool curriculum. Upon visiting the campus I enjoyed how the elementary students are not pressured to read and therefore do so much later than their public school peers. After taking a music workshop with them I was much less impressed with the lack of quality presented, and was turned off by not being allowed to observe a closed session with young students.

Posted August 24, 2005

We've had some real issues. But we're hoping that a change in teachers will help.

Posted November 9, 2003

My son is in KG at the Waldorf School and I am so happy that I found this school. His teacher shows such love and patience with the children and so much emphasis is placed on helping the child with imaginitive play, which is what they need at this age. In the coming years we can look forward to music (recorder and violin), drama, handwork (knitting, sewing, etc.) and of course academics. I was sold when I saw the 2nd grade learning their times tables while jumping rope- incorporating learning using movement. I can't imagine ever going back to a traditional school- Waldorf has change my whole way of thinking about education as well as parenting.

Posted November 8, 2003

Out of the 2 other Waldorf Schools my child has been involved in WSSD has by far the greatest sense of community and warmth. Other schools may have all the fancy perks but the basics are what is meaningful to me: that is a genuine warmth and friendliness when you walk in the front door. This school is special and people involved with it are truly inspirational. My daughter looked at me the other day and said, 'Mom, thank you for picking out such a wonderful school for me!' It just came out of nowhere and that made me feel so good. I am committed to Waldorf Education and the Waldorf School of San Diego and encourage other interested parents to come and visit, maybe it will fit your family's needs as well as it has fit mine!

Posted November 4, 2003

It is a hidden oasis located in up and coming City Heights. With more families moving in and around the downtown area this school fulfills a growing need and a welcome refuge in our fast paced and often frenzied lives. The Waldorf School's enriching curriculum and artistic approach to our child's needs are the foundation to stimulate a creative aptitude for analysis and 'out of the box' interpretation, that will be essential in tomorrow s world. The child learns to feel morality, which is not the 'school's' version, however, they learn to find it within themselves. This approach to the 'whole child' focuses on physiological, emotional, cognitive and spiritual stages of development. To ensure a balance/harmony in their future growth, the school fosters an eagerness to learn, even in middle school, when so often the initial excitement of learning begins to diminish in many children.

Special education / special needs

Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • AWSNA

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Waldorf