San Diego, CA

Posted January 23, 2012
This is such a wonderful school, populated by a diverse and welcoming group of families, and loving, dedicated teachers. The school has a non-denomenational spiritual underpinning to the curriculum while avoiding any type of dogma or doctrine, thereby welcoming families of many different religions. My child has been thriving here for 10 years and counting. She is engaged in the world, respectful to her elders and peers alike, is willing to try new things (even when initially she thinks she won't like it), getting awesome grades, lends a hand in her community both inside and outside school, and is well thought of by teachers and schoolmates. Despite a few naysayers who state there is some "secret society" or other such nonsense, our family has found a warm and welcoming community here. Diversity thrives here in all it's human forms so if you have been trying to find a school that is just the right fit, do your family a huge favor - go take a tour at The Waldorf School of San Diego and see for yourself. Happy, healthy kids who can' wait to hear the next story, answer the next question and welcome their next friend!

Posted January 16, 2012
I come from a family of high achievers: my mother graduated from Radcliffe, my grandfather was a professor at both Columbia and Harvard, my sister is a nurse, leader and teacher at Johns Hopkins University. I chose the Waldorf School of San Diego for my daughter because (as I've learned) the students aren't told what to see (in the traditional sense of an education; this is X, that is Y) they are given the freedom (through experiments, writing, movement, and artistic work, for example) to discover it. I am thrilled that my daughter will go to the new high school, where she will take classes in social justice, science, mathematics, visual art and theater. I feel that she has been able to discover so many things in her education (big things, small things): she has learned to knit, sew on a machine, she learned to juggle; she has created projects in language arts and history, she sings, acts in plays--that when she goes on to higher education (and into her life) she will be so used to this variety of experience she will not only have confidence and character, she will have will and imagination--things so desperately needed in our fast-paced, one-track world.

Posted November 16, 2011
This school is the perfect fit for my son. His understanding of math, his love of reading, knitting, singing, hand games - his love of LEARNING - just blows me away. I drive six WSSD children from grades one through eight in my car pool and not only do they play well together on our long drive, they are bright, funny and respectful to each other and to me. We are early on in our journey through Waldorf and while I love where we are (also in 2nd grade, as is another recent reviewer), I find it hard to await the wonders of the coming years. I regularly join the monthly tours so I can visit the other grades and see what is coming next. I feel so blessed to have Waldorf as a part of our lives. WSSD is a great school with loving teachers and wonderful staff. I can't recommend it enough.

Posted November 10, 2011
I couldn't be more impressed with my daughter's teacher - 2nd grade. She engages the children with amazing lesson plans that really come to life. Rudolf Steiner said, "Every lesson should always contain an element of 'flying.' " Steiner said of singing lessons-and this holds true for all lessons-that the teacher should strive for the children to have at least one "tingle" moment or "goosebump" experience during each class. My daughter's teacher does this everyday. My daughter shares all the wonderful things they do in class - her doing this is a measure of the effectiveness of the Waldorf Education!

Posted November 09, 2011
All 3 of my children attended the Waldorf School of San Diego. They are all very successful--academically, professionally, and socially. They were able to achieve high academic standards at competitive universities; my oldest has a Ph.D in Econimics.

Posted November 09, 2011
The best school in San Diego bar none! Teachers are amazing, the staff and administration really listen and care, the parents are super involved and the children are outstanding!

Posted August 08, 2011
My son has been going to the school since he was 2 years old (total of 5 years). I love everything about this school. I wish I attended such school when I was growing up. Great community, great group of kids, the teachers are devoted and loving. I believe the school has a major role in how my son is.

Waldorf School Of San Diego 2

Posted June 24, 2011
Used to love this school. Bought into the physical beauty at every turn. Great early education program. Caring staff. Young HS program w/potential. Fun festivals & community through volunteering. Reasonable tuition too. After this last year ~ no more. Community evolved into the secret society of those "committed" to Waldorf Education & the rest who weren't Steiner's diehard followers. Administration became $$ driven instead of human-centered. Teachers became much more into Steiner's anthroposophy to the point of question. Tuition no longer affordable, many families were forced to leave, or to choose which children stayed at the school or had to go somewhere else. No extra help for kids w/special learning needs because it's not recognized in anthroposophy. So now we're one of those former Waldorf families...healing. If the biggest lesson learned from this, we should've researched Steiner's anthroposophy BEFORE enrolling. It's a HUGE commitment of $ & resources not to understand the philosophy & its implications on you & your children. If we knew what we now know about anthroposophy, our children would've never been enrolled in the school in the 1st place.
2 people found this helpful

Posted April 05, 2011
My daughter has been going here for years with great results. Its a truly unique program and mood here. On one hand kind of "new age" with veggie foods, natural materials, low emphasis on team sports, unicycles at recess, etc. On the other hand it is probably the most traditional school in town in some ways: Christmas carols allowed, no computers (or any other electronic media), real blackboards, cursive writing, every child learns music. Great chance for parent involvement, in fact it is expected. Kids make more books than they read. Very "team" oriented, with none of that remedial, gifted, "honor student" stuff, so you have to be the type that does not need a child for your ego boost. Grading is vague, so you need to ask lots of questions of the teacher. Good moral atmosphere always.

Posted February 24, 2011
I am looking into this school for my first grader , she is a very smart girl she reads at grade 4 level and doing math at grade 3 level and she gets really board at her public school . we have issue's about our school with their sick kids policy and the teachers who are busy getting back at the parents who asks for their rights . so can anyone please tell me if this school is good school for us .

Waldorf School Of San Diego
3547 Altadena Avenue, San Diego, CA  92105
Last modified Waldorf School Of San Diego is a Private school that serves grades K-12
Waldorf School Of San Diego Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top