K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

I first want to say that most of the HNM staff are wonderful people (most teachers, kids' club, admin, and other support staff) and were a blessing to our student. The former principal seemed to really care about all the students. Too bad a few bad apples ruined the experience. When our child was accepted into this school, we were ecstatic, mainly because of the "great" reputation HNM had. Almost immediately our child was bullied, which progressed throughout the year an into the next. All we were given was lip service. The bullies were never sufficiently reprimanded or punished. This escalated until finally we tried to get help from Fr. Rich, the pastor. What a joke of a priest he is. No pastoral quality whatsoever. It was like meeting with Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde. He puts on a great show with his homilies, especially when he talks about bullying. In our case he sided with the bullies and in no uncertain terms let us know our family was not welcome at HNM. In my opinion he is a hypocrite. I am greatly disappointed and angry, especially because of the way our child was treated and hurt emotionally. On a positive note, the new principal seems to be top notch, so maybe the culture of the school will eventually change.

Develops character: Strongly agree

By instilling strong Catholic values, the school has done a great job of developing these areas. Daily Religion class includes teachings about honesty, integrity and fairness.

This prayerful and uplifting school has been such a gift to my family. The parents, faculty and parish have created a loving environment which promotes service and involvement in the community and Church. I feel that my children have been well-prepared for high school and beyond. They have learned the value of service and continue to serve because of the values established at Holy Name of Mary School.

I have had one child graduate from HNM and another that is currently enrolled. The teachers and staff have done a great job preparing my child for high school. They have helped both of my children grow academically and spiritually. We feel this school has been a blessing for our children.

This school has a good academic program. However if you are looking for a truly Catholic education than look else where. It's feels more like a protestant church and school than one with Catholic values. Most of the families are wealthy and their children suffer from "affluence". Each grade level is plagued with mean kids who like to single out newcomers or those who are not apart of the in crowd. School prefers to side with the mean kids as their are more of them and prefer to push off and blame the one kid who is getting harrased by the group. Majority of hnm kids are unfortunately never held accountable and thus the good Catholic families are turned off and leave. So if you want a decent education, and don't care about Catholic faith, nor care if your child becomes a snob or gets picked on, than Holy name of Mary is the school for you. Good luck.

We have been looking into this school. Can anyone expand on the negative reviews below? When teachers offer help because it is necessary, is it because the students are below average or because the teachers are not as skilled? What is the curriculum really like at this school and in what subject areas are the kids not prepared well for when they enter high school?

I'm sad to say, as a parent & educator; I agree with the posts below. Yes, very involved parent community. Teachers offer help after school because its necessary. Amongst Catholic schools probably well rated which doesn't say much. Success depends heavily on the parent and household support.

the school teachers are very involved in the learning of the children. Most of the teachers offer after school help and enrichment. They do this on their own time and there is a very large sense of community and family in this school. We moved from another highly rated Catholic school and couldn't be happier. The principal is a great asset to the school and the rest of the staff follows suit.

My wife and I toured the school, it is overcrowded far too many students in every classroom. Our neighbor recommended it when we moved in. After inquiring with parents from my kids' sports and other local families; we found a fair amount of dissatisfied parents who have left, forced to leave and other who did not find the school prepared their students well for high school. Another family told us there are too many teachers with kids there and they favor their kids over other students. I found this appears to be true. The level they claim to perform at does not add up based on what we saw and heard, unsure of what metrics they utilize. We are NOT impressed with the school, student-teacher ratio and their fake commitment to quality education. It has a "pretense" of a great school but if you do research you will be disappointed.

Last modified Holy Name Of Mary is a Private school that serves grades K-8