Posted June 26, 2012
My daughter started at MHoC when she was 3 1/2. Like most things, it took a little time for both her (and us) to adjust to, but we are very happy with the school. Our daughter is learning so much, she's happy every day after school and has made lots of different friends with diverse cultural backgrounds. For two working parents the school is incredibly convenient, with before and after school if needed, and no significant requirements to spend time at the school, although we can participate and be involved when we have the time (reading to the class, helping with science, talking about careers etc). We'll definitely be sending our younger daughter to MHoC in a couple of years time when she reaches the same age.

Posted September 23, 2010
Wonderful preschool that we cannot praise enough! Our daughter has been there for 2 years and we have loved every minute of it. She has had amazing teachers that are loving, encouraging and very empowering. It is a small school that embraces diversity from every possible angle. The sense of community is palpable and the administration of the school engages parents and are always there to listen and help. We LOVE International Day and the holiday potluck dinner and celebration that they put together every year. I am so happy to have found this treasure of a school and we will always hold it dear to our hearts. Please schedule a visit and check it out for yourself. See how happy the children look!

Posted August 18, 2010
If you are looking for an excellent quality Montessori program with thoughtful teachers and administration, you've come to the right place. Both I and my 4 year old son love this school. It is cozy and warm at heart. I don't understand some of the criticisms--they definitely don't discriminate, but EMBRACE cultural diversity. Outdoor time is 45 minutes a day DURING school hours. Aftercare may include additional outdoor playtime. While MHoC does encourage brief "goodbyes" in the morning to assist in separation, there is an open door policy with the administration, and my son's teacher has always has been available to me in the 40 minutes before class begins. I've had my son at a couple of different preschools. Realize that you need to fit the PROGRAM to the child, not the child to the program.

Posted August 18, 2010
I have sent two of my children to this amazing pre-school. My oldest just graduated after 2+ years at the school. My 3 year old just started. We love this school! The teachers are caring, dedicated professionals and the administration is friendly, helpful and committed to educating children. My 5 year old is doing 2nd grade work and my 3 year old teaches me about the 7 continents -- all of them. They sing songs in Sri Lankan, Japanese, Mandarin and Spanish. My children are receiving a quality, nurturing education.

Posted August 18, 2010
Loved everything about it: from the way it looks (very urban-like, concrete - not to everybody's taste, I guess), location, to - most important - wonderful staff. Everyone from Ms. Suki and Mr. Rohan (principals), all teachers and assistants to Mr. James (gymnastics). This school truly embraces and prides itself on diversity of the student body. One of my favorite memories is the International Day Parade when a Jewish-American kid (dressed in a Polish folk costume) walked hand in hand with his Palestinian-American classmate. My daughter loved it and keeps asking me to go over there to say hi. Parent involvement not required/expected and minimal on my part. I would recommend (and I have) the school to anyone and if I had more children, I would definitely send them there.

Posted August 18, 2010
It is obvious that the postings entered in May through July, 2010 are the work of a disgruntled employee, intended to discredit and damage the school. All information regarding child:teacher ratios, outdoor play time, head teachers' and assistants' responsibilities, how and when children are transferred are all discussed with parents when they tour the school. Every tour is followed by an information session at which time, parents are provided with all pertinent information. Any questions parents might have are also addressed at that time and also at 'Back to School Night'. However, the writer (writing under the guise of a parent) is unaware of what is covered at the school tour. It is unfortunate that the writer has resorted to such a shameful and cowardly act.

Montessori House of Children School 1

Posted July 22, 2010
Each class had 24 kids and two teachers, the main teacher and the assistant teacher who only watches the kids and doesn t really help. The school has open enrollment all through the year and every six months they have new kids and they move the kids from class room to class room without much warning to parents and kids. The teachers also expect the kids to sit quietly listening to the lecture please the kids are 3 or 4 years old! They only take the kids out to the playground 35 minutes all day, 20 minutes on the morning and 15 minutes in the afternoon. The principal and the teachers don t work with parents through transitions, the kids cry and they don t help them cope with change. We placed our child in another wonderful school that he loves! We are very happy we pulled him out that school.

Montessori House of Children School 3

Posted May 19, 2010
When my children went to this school I loved it and especially loved the preschool teachers. However, the assistants could not speak fluent English which is ridiculous. The kids are not challenged to and my son was way behind when he entered first grade. The before school care is a disaster as the kids sit in the principles office and the after care program was lame. In all fairness the principal and teachers are great but they don t have the resources they need. Nonetheless it is a good school by San Francisco standards which is sad. Having put the kids in a suburban school I regret that I did not move sooner.

Montessori House of Children School 1

Posted May 03, 2010
Teachers rarely interact with parents, general feel of discrimination against various ethnicity I am transferring my son out of this school next year.

Posted October 13, 2009
Our daughter has had a wonderful experience at this school over the past year and a half. She loves going to school, has developed lots of good friendships, and adores her teachers. I am truly amazed at what she has learned.

Montessori House of Children School
1187 Franklin Street, San Francisco, CA  94109
Last modified Montessori House of Children School is a Private school that serves grades K-1
Montessori House of Children School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews.