City Arts and Tech High School

Charter | 9-12 | 362 students

Sweep tile

Posted October 24, 2013

This school help kids to stay in school, they communicate whit the parents and help to resolve the problems . I like to speak in my language whit the teaches and understand what happen whit my kid and how help them I recommend to have PE in their school, will be awesome and healthy .

Posted October 15, 2013

City Arts and Technology is a great High School! It was the perfect fit for our son. Small classes and individual attention to his needs and learning style made all the difference. The Principal and Administrative staff are excellent. The teachers and staff are very concerned with our son's well being, progress and education. Excellent teachers who are very knowledgeable in the subjects they teach. CAT prepared my son very well for the SAT and for College readiness. I believe CAT is the reason that he will be accepted to a great college next year. The students who attend are welcoming, nice and well mannered. They all included and befriended my son his first year. You will not go wrong with City Arts and Technology High School!

Posted October 13, 2013

CAT has been a great experience for our son, who is currently a Junior in high school. We looked at different schools for 2 years before choosing CAT, which is a great fit for our son. The Principal and staff are very dedicated to the students and their education. We feel confident that our son will be accepted into a University. The education that our student is receiving at CAT is more than we could have hoped for.

Posted September 18, 2013

My Daughter is doing really well at CAT. This was not our first choice for a Charter school but we were fortunate to get chosen in the lottery. We now are very happy that this is her high school and not the "other" one. The teachers are excellent, the school is very advanced in the use of technology and we really like the small size of the school. Students get individual support and attention they deserve.

Posted June 16, 2011

CAT is a school where the teachers and staff are unable to control the students...First off, they allow troubled youth into the school without conflict but students who are actually there for education and not as a hang out are being affected...My two chidren attend this school, one being a senior and the other being a sophomore...The problems started with my older child and although i thought she was part of the problem i quickly realized when my son began having the same problems when he started attending CAT. its almost as if the students that struggle academically seem to taunt and bully the students that are trying to succeed and when they defend themselves they get punished worse than the troublemakers. I only met the principal after 2 years since she was never present of active at the school. Finally, she will be replaced for the 2011-2012 school year but I as well as my children are fed up and we are looking for a new school.

Posted April 4, 2011

This school has major problems. It seems you can luck out and get excellent teachers who make the most of what they're given to work with, but unfortunately you will often find yourself with teachers who have good intentions but end up in a terrible situation in which they are unable to provide interesting content. At first CAT has made me feel great but but recent it has brought me to tears as it heads downhill. There is only one reason I continue to attend, he fact that the incredibly low standards and imperfect environment combine to make achieving the position as an "A student" in the eyes of a bureaucrat all but effortless. The struggle comes when you find yourself sitting through long boring classes, dealing with unreasonable teachers, and being locked inside a facility lacking in all the amenities taken advantage of in the outside world. I fully understand the degree of imperfection that leads me to having an outright disgust in the US school system, but even when judging City Arts and Tech based on what they have to work with, they all too often end up failing miserably.

Posted March 2, 2011

This school has only a handful of teachers the students actually respect. The students are loud, disruptive, and unruly, and the teachers have little and often no control over them. I found the experience upsetting =[

Posted February 6, 2009

No school is entirely prefect. City Arts & Tech (a new school, first graduating class 2008) comes extremely close. It is a tough school with fantastic opportunities. This school prepares students for college and life. They are currently working to providing more electives, but unbelievably, this is not a short fall, because students are provided with internships and electives that are challenging, creative and innovative. My student traveled to South America and Central America working on viable projects! My daughters are inspired by the young staff and encouraged by peers. One daughter came to CAT as a shy introvert; now she can deliver a speech to hundreds without preparation, and has dozens of loyal friends who have positive dreams and goals. The students are respectful, community conscious, happy individuals. City Arts & Tech (a small school) may not be for every child but my children have found nothing comparable.

Posted October 9, 2008

City Arts and Tech. was the best exeperiance for 1 yr. After that it was a down hill slide that my me fall into a stressful, depressed, lack of hope in my life and future career. I felt like i was never good enough or never would amount to anything. i also felt that no one was listen to me and my ideas meant nothing. iturpirses me to see this school get such a good rating since the many youth dropped out or went to independence high. i feel that some of the teachers feel superior to the students makes a clam to be an istitution of equality. transfering out of C.A.T. was of big relife although i fear for the future of my peers who still atend this school. if theres anything i got from CAT it was good friends but i got them from sharing the same struggle CAT

Posted September 16, 2008

City Arts & Tech is a progressive, inclusive, charter high school located in San Francisco's Excelsior District. City Arts just moved into a beautiful new campus with plenty of room for academics, outside activities and sports. Academics are stressed heavily and preparation for admission to college is a priority goal. More than 90% of last year's graduating class went on to four year institutions. The school offers a wealth of outside internships and focuses on the intersection between art and technology. Our son has been very happy there and has made many fast friendships.

Posted September 13, 2008

Aside from their groundbreaking community meetings (how DOES a school manage the incredibly diverse mixture of cultures successfully?), and their dedicated staff of teachers and administrators, there is their program, which includes internships for each and every student. My daughter, who loves to write, spent her internships at Dave Eggers Pirate Store and After School Tutoring Place in the Mission for one semester, as well as a well known independent publisher for another semester. How fabulous an opportunity! It made a great impression helping to bolster her confidence in her own skills. My daughter graduated with the CAT inaugural class of 2008 and, along with many others, is off to college. Good schools are hard to find. this, if it fits your child's style, is a good one.

Posted August 14, 2008

We have been thrilled with City Arts and Tech. It has been a wonderful school for our son. He had a bad experience in the past with a large, institutional middle school and we knew that he would need a smaller high school with more personal attention. CAT has exceeded our expectations. The teachers and other staff obviously care about their students. Our son has been encouraged to reach his fullest creative, personal, and academic potential.

Posted January 6, 2008

City arts & tech is one of the best schools in san francisco. The envirornment the staff creates for the students there is wonderful. It feels like a communnity, unlike other public or charter schools in san francisco. The teachers really can identify with most of the students due to the fact that they're all very young. They have a unique way of teaching, & the classroom isn't all serious & up tight like most schools. But don't get me wrong we do learn. They make sure of it.

Posted September 26, 2007

I have been through two different high school with my other children, and this is by far the best that I have encountered. It challenges my son and makes him really think about how he's going to prepare his thesis. He's a junior now. I would recommend this school, but only if their child is not into sports, otherwise they will be disappointed.

Posted September 26, 2007

This is the perfect environment for a student that comes from a small school. The teachers are very involved and close with their students so the kids don't fall through the cracks. My daughter's advisor calls me to let me know how she is doing, something I really appreciate. Their main focus is for the students to attend a 4 year college immediately after school so they make sure the students have passing grades by helping the students accomplish this through out the school year. This is a great school with great teachers and a diverse community.

Posted June 11, 2007

I will start off by saying that the 150 word limit here will not even begin to describe CAT. My daughter went into CAT from a catholic school, and we weren't sure how she would adjust. She wanted to go to SI and SH, but we had her consider CAT. Once she got in, it was clear this was the right place. She is extremely close with many of her teachers and the principal, and has gone from a removed student to an active and excited student. Her grades have risen and we couldn't be happier. Their emphasis on public speaking is amazing, and many a students' presentations at exhibition nights have topped seminars at the workplace. Also, you can't beat the sense of community they have here!

Posted May 30, 2007

CAT is a great little jewel of a school that gets high marks for diversity, community, and academics. The staff is dedicated and very approachable. They really care about the kids and the school is small enough so no one slips through the cracks. We feel lucky to have our son there.

Posted August 17, 2006

My son has been at CAT since the school opened 3 years ago and is now beginning his Junior year. While there are growing pains (we are quickly out growing our space)we couldn't be happier with our choice of school. The staff are professional and very dedicated. The classes are small ( about 20 kids)and the teachers really know the students. The principal has a vision of growth and is very commited to seeing it through. There are plenty of opportunities for parent involvement. Down side is there are no sports or drama programs currently.

Posted August 17, 2006

CAT has a very committed staff of teachers and administrators. We have found that our son gets a lot of support from both, especially his teachers. It is a small school with a very supportive community. CAT is quite new, turning three years old, which has provided us an excellent opportunity to make a difference in his educational experience. The parents and guardians are quite involved as we discover how best to support our kids and teachers. The principle, Josh Brankman, is very good building an excellent staff of qualified and caring teachers. As a new school we are still working on growing extracurricular activities as we look to what local resources we have as well as student interests. There is an excellent arts program available on site. Small class size, motivated students and excellent teachers make for a great educational environment.

Posted August 17, 2006

Our experience with City Arts & Technology has been overwhelmingly positive. Small class sizes encourage an atmosphere of intimacy, wherein teachers are able to focus on students as individuals, addressing their problems and encouraging their achievements as needed, in a more personal manner than traditional schools would allow. CAT s emphases on college preparation, technological dexterity and critical, analytical thinking, as well as artistic expression, combined with a sense of community and mutual support offer a rare and exciting learning experience. A youthful, highly skilled, vibrant staff, a stimulating, safe, nurturing environment, hands-on leadership by a principal committed to excellence, and a student body comprised of young people who know and care about where they are, and the things that are being accomplished makes us proud, and happy to be a part of the CAT community.

This school's

(2012)

3 / 10

6 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

3 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

6 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

18 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

12 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

99 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

99 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students55%

Parent education - not a high school graduate47%
Parent education - high school graduate28%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)70%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students39%

Parent education - not a high school graduate21%
Parent education - high school graduate27%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)29%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

104 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students80%

Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 56%N/A54%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • WASC 6 Year Accreditation, Highest Level of Accreditation (2008)

Arts & music

• (415) 585-3009

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options

Media arts
  • Video / Film production

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
  • Parents regularly visit the school for conferences with the advisor and to attend student exhibition. an active parent organization creates a community for parents that also includes opportunities for learning. many parents volunteer regularly to support the school.

Apply now