Stratford School - San Francisco

Private | PK-3

Student diversity

Living in San Francisco

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $460,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,610.

Sweep tile

Posted August 20, 2013

My daughter goes to Stratford school for a few year, and both of us couldn't be happier with the school. It gives a log of challenges in academics but all (most) kids don't have any difficulties follow the program. New topics are explained in "kids-friendly" manner so students can get it faster and remember for longer. They are definitely at least 1 year ahead of other students their age in public schools. They promote great discipline, sometimes maybe too much but I see big difference by looking on those kids that were difficult to calm down for even few minutes. Very clean and open classes, kids and their parents are great to deal with. I would HIGHLY recommend this school.

Posted May 17, 2013

My child was entrolled in Camp Socrates and Kindergarten. The school is lacking strong leadership(horrible principal) and has very poor communication. It appears to be a very immature staff of teachers which maybe ok for preschool but horrible for grade school. The office staff seem very fake and probably talk about you as you walk out of the door. We left the program feeling as if the program let down our child and family. It also has a heafty price tag and no delivery! Not recommended!

Posted July 9, 2012

My daughter is enrolled in the Kindergarten Camp Socrates. She s thriving academically, but some basics are missing. They do not encourage basic hygiene - I wish they would encourage hand-washing before and after lunch and washing around the mouth after. They also added a new teacher after two-weeks without notifying the parents. The office staff has this sort of fake-pleasant attitude, but you feel like their rolling their eyes at you as soon as you leave as if you are always in their way. I also feel one teacher knows little about young children. She often looks frustrated and as if she can t wait until the end of the day and there seems to be no continuation between what was encouraged in pre-school (hygiene, expectations for lunch and snack). There also seems to be a lack of acknowledgement that some kids are experiencing Kindergarten for the first time, and may not know the expectations of recess and limited time for lunch! I hope the regular Kindergarten experience is better because my daughter really likes going to school and often comes home singing the songs she has learned.

Posted June 19, 2012

When we first came to Stratford, we had a positive experience. The pre-K program was wonderful for my child. We were not going to even look at the school for elementary school (the feel of the whole place was too 'corporate' for our tastes), but we found that we liked the principal and the teachers, so decided to stick with it. Then there was a quick announcement of a leadership change over the summer, to our surprise. (They didn't even have a vice principal until the school year began.) I would have to say that at this point, the school is lacking good leadership and we ultimately have had a very disappointing experience. We have left the school feeling as if they really failed my child and our family. Some of the teachers are quite good. The program is academically strong, but there are some really odd things going on---can you imagine a group of kindergarten kids eating lunch in silence (while a group of not very nice adults 'police' the room)? There is an outdoor space that isn't very large and no green space at all. Overall, it reminded me of Catholic School without the religion and the community.

Posted March 9, 2012

My 4 years son loves Stratford very much and looks forward to going to school each morning. He wakes up like an alarm clock, dresses himself, and rushes me out the door because he wants to be the first one to be ins class. He comes home very happy each day. My husband and I couldn't be happier. We love Stratford very much too. The principal, teachers, and staffs are all very involved, caring, and motivating. Stratford is all around an excellent school. If I can give it more than 5 stars I would.

Posted October 25, 2011

My daughter loves Stratford and just can't get enough of it. I think there's a healthy balance of academics and play. I would recommend it to any parent looking for a solid school that your child can grow with.

Posted October 23, 2011

My son started Kindergarten at Stratford School last year and what a difference from his preschool! We loved the school. Leadership is strong and they participate in all activites that they ask their teachers to do. Teachers are kind, caring and hard-working. Students are being challenged academically because they are a year advanced, but the designs of their curriculum are excellent, very smart, meaningful and fun. Classroom is very structured and teachers really know their students' strengths and weaknesses. I believe that they provide extremely solid fundation for these students' future learning.

Posted March 31, 2011

My son attened pre-K and K at Stratford. We can't say enough abuot the teachers, principal and staff. They are warm, loving, yet firm and strict when necessary. The academics are rigorous, as the curriculum is 1-2 years above grade level. My son loves his school and his has learned so much in his two years there. I highly recommend the school. Your children will get a great eduction at Stratford.

Posted December 12, 2010

We have two children (older boy, younger girl) enrolled here. We used to have them enrolled in a multi-location private pre-K place that began in Marin, but have found this school to be much better suited for us: a) more academic program (not a "go forth and be happy" program); b) a small and entrepreneurial team of teachers and staff led by a dedicated and experienced principal; c) a good community of working parents who are involved, without a sense of stuffy-keep-up-with-the-Joneses feel. Our children have absolutely flourished at this school, especially my boy who was shy and had not related well with his teachers and peers. We are enthusiastic supporters of this school.

Posted May 28, 2010

My son is in Grade 1 at Stratford school and has been there since they opened. This school is a hidden gem in the city. We could not be happier with the care and attention he gets from every member of the team. The school has very high academic standard and the curriculum is engaging and challenging at the same time they have a wonderful balance of arts and music. We looked at many other schools, both private and public and the academic excellence, culture, diversity and guiding principles at Stratford made it our number one choice. There is no other educational institute in San Francisco that I would trust my child to after experiencing what Stratford has to offer.

Posted May 20, 2010

We currently have our 2 children enrolled at Stratford (K & pre-K) and have been nothing but impressed with this school. The large & airy classrooms allow for multiple learning areas; the K room has individual desks for the children. We love Stratford's focus on making learning fun (my son in K never complains about doing his homework!), and really appreciate the enthusiasm of everyone at the school. Stratford truly stands behind its 'open door policy' and always welcomes parents to sit in during class. The principal and teachers personally greet every student during morning drop-off and are there with the children for afternoon pick-up. They also have diverse after-school clubs. This is a fantastic school, and our children have really flourished here, both academically and socially. We are so happy to be a part of this community and really hope more families will discover this little gem!

Posted May 18, 2010

My daughter first started with Stratfords summer program in 2009. She loved it and so did we as parents. We chose Stratford because of its diversity, academic program, cleanliness and spacious and fun environment. The entire staff is very attentive and caring towards the children and always an open door policy. We have seen so much progress in our daughter in such a short time. We definitely encourage parents to at least come by the school and see for yourself!

Posted May 18, 2010

My son started stratford in the fall 2009 and has had an incredibly fulfilling journey the past couple of years! I would like to point out that this is a traditional school with uniforms an desks, it isn't one of these new fangled "progressive ' schools and living right next door to one such school with a bunch of noisy undisciplined kids-I am glad it isn't and does enforce some discipline (in avery gentle manner). I am very happy with the teaching quality and administrative staff. This school isn't very expensive (~ 13K per year) and is good quality education at an affordable price. students enjoy a good "study-play " balance and I would recommend this school to everyone in SF, we need more stratfords to balance out the Live Oaks and Waldorfs!

Posted May 17, 2010

My child is in the 1st grade now and he started this school in Kindergarten and we love it.. First of all, the school pleases us, parents, by being challenging, academic and disciplined environment but it is done in such a fantastic way that kids love it. I take my son to school every day and I see only happy faces in the morning. Another great thing is that the school's staff (teachers, principle, administrative office) always have their doors open for the parents. I feel like I am heard and welcomed. My son loves school and doesn't want me to pick him up until almost 6 o'clock. I highly recommend it and I am open for any questions if there are parents that might want to ask me.

Posted May 17, 2010

The Stratford School San Francisco is really the place to produce life-long learners. I have two children in the Stratford. Both of them have learned so much, yet they are so anxious to go to school every morning. Also, the extend care program is beyond expectation. There are so much going-on in the extended care and my children always complain I pick them too early. Another strength of the Stratford School is that the teachers are very reachable and responsive. Both of my children have signed up for the next academic year. I highly recommended this school.

Posted May 16, 2010

We have 2 children at Stratford, one in Preschool and one in Pre-K. We have been impressed with their teachers, curriculum and nurturing and caring environments. The principal truly cares about the students and parents' feedback or concerns. Our children are registered for the upcoming school year as well. Simply a fantastic school!

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

301 De Montfort Avenue