Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

When we enrolled our children into this school in school year 2014/2015 we weren't yet sure whether we'd keep them there for more than a year. As parents we can understand and speak German, but we have no direct ties back to Germany. At the first parent teacher conference however we realized what a great school this is. The amount of detail the teacher managed to share about each of our children was amazing, and nothing like we were used to growing up. Clearly GISSV San Francisco proved to us that the school is well worth the investment! What's to like about the school: 1) Great curriculum! The children learn a lot (more than I did in comparable grades a long time ago), and in Kindergarten an important part of their day is play time. We parents grew up like this and maybe it sounds old-fashioned, but we definitely like the European approach this school takes to education. 2) Fantastic teaching staff. "Home room" teachers stay with their students through elementary school and year over year the school has been able to find top notch teachers. 3) Small class sizes generally at 10 - 15 students per grade certainly serves us well! 4) Community - we like the diverse parent community given I guess the school attracts "like-minded" people from many different backgrounds. 5) Location/setting - the location in the Presidio allows for lots of out-door play time in the green, and exploring the woods around school. Add that the setting is simply beautiful. It is refreshing to go to the Presidio every day. Every day my children enjoy going to school. What more should I say?

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

The leadership in recently years has changed quite a lot. I am marking strongly agree because I believe the school is currently at a peak. Previously we were more like a local start-up school where a few leadership changes were necessary to find just what was best for the school. Now I feel the school has the strongest and most capable leaders. A specific example is the head-of-school at our campus is Frau Daniela Gibson. She knows the name of every child in the school and possibly every parent. She reaches out to them individually if there is a problem. She is strict about the rules but gentle with the child who has broken them. She takes all factors into consideration when making decisions.

Develops character: Strongly agree

My daughter has learned to be a strong, confident leader. She is known in her class as being "the kindest." My son struggled with his behavior during his 1st and 2nd grade years. The school gave us a huge amount of support and encouraged us to seek outside help. He went to a social skills counselor weekly in addition to the strong social skills curriculum the school teaches. We have noticed beautiful changes in his behavior as well as his own reflective desire to be good and kind. We never expected perfection, but we have definitely gotten more out of our experience at GISSV-SF than we thought possible.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

From our first visit to GISSV over four years ago, we have consistently been impressed by the quality of teachers they are able to retain. We appreciate their firm but loving natures. Because of the small class sizes, teachers are intimately aware of each child's needs and they prepare each day accordingly. Teachers form respectful and nurturing relationships with the children and seek for additional support from the parents. As a real example, my child's teacher said goodbye to her students by acknowledging him one-on-one with a special "see you later" song and handshake. One of the most awe-inspiring yet simple things the teachers do is to send home a weekly email. The email includes what the child learned in each subject during the week, question the parent can ask the child about what he/she learned, upcoming dates/things to look forward to or plan, and pictures of the children. I cherish these pictures of my children learning and exploring.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

One factor that makes GISSV-SF stand out is the idea that homework is a child's responsibility and not the parents'. I appreciate the school supporting this idea that children need to be held accountable from a young age for the work they produce. Different grade levels are given different amounts of homework. Developmentally it is right on par with how much I believe is necessary for my child. From how I see it, the homework philosophy is that children should be given differentiated homework for their own abilities that allows them to review and practice things they need to master. Each child in a class can possibly be given different homework. I appreciate this because my child, for example, may be better at math but struggle a little more in German given our English-speaking background. I also appreciate that the school does not send children home with the expectation that he or she needs to complete a 20 hour project (such as a science fair). Large projects are typically undertaken during the school hours with smaller tasks being sent home to support the project.

Our children love going to school every day. A combination of a fun learning environment that is engaging and stimulating (read: not boring) with a good group of friends and a strong support network.

One highlight of GISSV SF is the teaching staff. They are top notch. They are utterly dedicated to their craft, have an unbelievable talent for identifying a child’s strengths/weaknesses and then teaching to those unique traits. Our son’s teacher is able to custom design the weekly lesson plans to the strengths and needs of each student. This is of course due to class size but it also speaks to the training German teacher’s receive and the strengths of the German school curriculum for example the project based Kindergarten and continuity of teacher from Grades 1-4 to name two. Another unexpected highlight is how culturally diverse our San Francisco campus is. There are many families who speak another language other than German at home and many families who only speak English at home but are dedicated to the benefits of bilingual education. Parents of the school have organized Dia de los Muertos, Chinese New Year and Mardi Gras festivals to honor their own cultures, languages and celebrations. The students at GISSV SF are truly an example of the larger international community of San Francisco. And perhaps the most important unexpected highlight is that our children love going to school. As a parent, you want your kids to want to go to school and want them to love learning but you don’t realize that is not a given but a gift. GISSV SF has given us that gift.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

School has a scheduled homework hour from 2-3pm Mon-Thurs which parents can pay for separately. Students do their homework in their classroom and often with their teacher. Homework sent home is very age appropriate in terms of age of student.

We love this school. Our daughter is currently in 1st grade and she skips off to school with a smile on her face every morning. What originally attracted us to GISSV (San Francisco campus) was the bilingual education, and we have not been disappointed. When she started kindergarten she didn't speak any German and now, just over half way through 1st grade, she can easily make herself understood. I can see that in a year or two she will be completely fluent. For interested parents reading this, I should mention that while I speak rusty German my husband doesn't speak any: in my daughter's class the families range from those in which German is the mother tongue to those where neither parent speaks a single word of German, and everything in between. I think the school does a fantastic job of teaching children who are at such different stages in terms of language acquisition. In fact I think it does a fantastic job of teaching, period. Beyond academic learning, the school has many other things to offer. The setting in the Presidio is beautiful. Because it is still a small school, there is a lot of interaction between the different grades (for example, during recess the 4th grade girls are currently holding gymnastics "classes" for the first grade girls, which is reported back to me with great excitement by my daughter), which really adds to the sense of community. Indeed the location and the size of the school combine to give it a wonderfully warm and cozy atmosphere. Currently a K through 5 school, a grade is being added each year and it will run up to 8th grade. For our family the San Francisco campus of GISSV has been, and continues to be, an amazing experience. Highly recommended!

The school is outstanding. It is situated in the most beautiful setting and has wonderful, dedicated teachers. The class size is small, currently fewer than 10 students, in my son's class and the teaching is very individual. There is nothing snobbish or arrogant about this school unlike so many other private schools. Being a German school means the kids speak fluent German and English. Even those kids with no German background become fluent very quickly. Being in the Presidio means that sports and outdoor activities take place in the most amazing setting right in the middle of the city. The academic level is very good and being base on the German curriculum is an extremely high standard. We couldn't be happier nor could our son.

Last modified German International School of Silicon Valley - San Francisco Campus is a Private school that serves grades K-8