Posted October 25, 2014
Our son started Kindergarten this fall. We are not a German-speaking family, but chose GISSV due to the following reasons: 1. Curriculum- we are impressed with the emphasis on nature, emotional and social development. Kindergarten is project-based learning, with art, music, and PE. Reading and writing are taught from 1st grade on. From 5th grade on, subjects such as Geography, Economics, Ethics, second & (optional) third foreign language are taught, in addition to the traditional subjects. 2. Small classroom size - our son is in a class of 13 children, with two full-time teachers and a teacher's aid. Classroom size is capped at 20 students. 3. Location - the school is located in the Presidio, and they take full advantage of the beautiful setting. The class goes on a nature walk every Friday where they explore their surroundings. Some of the places the class has explored so far included the Julius Kahn playground, Palace of Fine Arts, and Chrissy Field beach. Nearly half of his classmates did not speak German prior to starting Kindergarten. Thanks to their dedicated teachers, my son now sings German songs at home and his favorite word to us is "nein".

Posted September 29, 2014
My daughter has been attending this school for one year. She started last year in 1st grade. Our favorite things about the school are: 1. Classroom size is kept small. My daugher's 2nd grade class is just 9 children! I can't guarantee all classes are this small but classroom size across the board is smaller than the norm and my daughter has benefited from this greatly. 2.Her teacher, Miss Fuchsluger is amazing. You can tell she loves children, and the children in turn love her. Children are engaged, interested, and my daughter's German skills (she started last year not speaking German at all) and reading skills are off the charts. If there's a problem of any sort, for ex., my daughter tends to struggle in math, Ms Fuchsluger identifies it immediately and keeps the parents in the loop and shows us what to do so that we can work on it also at home. 3. Located in the Presidio - surrounded by nature and close to the beach, there can be no more idyllic place to attend school. 4. Price: Compared to other language immersion private schools, I feel this is a bargain. It's definitely worth checking out if you're looking for an amazing elementary school for your child(ren).
4 people found this helpful

Posted November 02, 2012
Our son started kindergarten at GISSV this fall and he loves it. As parents, we love it too. His teachers are amazing with the children. It's a small group of kids so he gets plenty of attention. The location is great. What else could we ask for?

Posted October 30, 2012
We could have not hoped for a better school for our daughter: GISSV everything you dream about for your child: caring teachers, small class sizes, diversity, great parent community and bilingual education and so much more. Due to the small class sizes children get one on one attention and are challenged based on their capabilities. The environment of the school - located in the beautiful Presidio with views on the Golden Gate bridge- creates a very special learning environment. Afternoon activities include science, art, soccer, rock climbing, piano etc. The teachers are AMAZING and my daughter enjoys every day going to school and to learn in two different languages. I would strongly recommend this school to anybody even if there is no german background.

Posted October 07, 2012
This school is amazing...in fact when we found it it seemed too good to be true. Small class sizes, very high degree of individualized attention (including free German tutoring to bring kids -like my son who spoke NO german coming into the school- up to speed), a beautiful campus, a great community, and a very reasonable price tag for a private international school. Our enthusiasm continues unabated after one year of having our son here (moved him in from public school, where he was miserable), and he tells us constantly how much he loves it. Don't be discouraged by the German title, the families are an incredibly diverse mix with lots of non German speaking families: If you are looking for an incredible school with a great community for a reasonable price, take a tour and check it out! I am a resident at UCSF and my wife and I moved here a little over a year ago. We were committed to giving the public schools a try. After one year we decided we needed to go to a better school, and started looking into private schools.

Posted March 06, 2012
Our son is part of the first class at GISSV's new San Francisco campus. The teacher's are WONDERFUL, extremely communicative, nurturing and caring. Class sizes for GISSV campuses are extremely small (currently there are under 10 children in the Kindergarten class). We've noticed a HUGE difference with our son's emotional and mental growth since the beginning of school last September, mostly due to the his highly nurturing teachers and their ability to work closely with each child. As a non-German speaking parent, I was slightly hesitant to send my son to a full language immersion program. This was completely unnecessary, as he is doing wonderfully and the German method of education--where K is mostly play-based--fit his needs well. I have even decided to learn the language myself in order to help him acclimate at home. The School's current house in the Presidio is charming and beautiful, as the class is minutes away from wonderful outdoor activities, such as a walk across the Golden Gate Bridge, stroll through Crissy Field, a day at the Exploratorium, etc. We cannot recommend GISSV SF more. This will not be a best-kept secret for long!

German International School of Silicon Valley - San Francisco Campus
4 Funston Ave., San Francisco, CA  94129
Last modified German International School of Silicon Valley - San Francisco Campus is a Private school that serves grades K-8
German International School of Silicon Valley - San Francisco Campus Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 6 reviews. Top