PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers are awesome...I am so happy that my kids are attending this school, which blends progressive education with a strong Mandarin immersion program.

Amount of homework: Agree

This school is student-centric and the amount of homework is not prescribed. Rather, the students work with teachers and parents to determine the way they learn new topics.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The teachers take the time -- in large groups, small groups, and one-on-one sessions -- to work with kids to help them develop key life lessons.

Our son has attended PKS since 2011 -- three years in preschool, one year in kindergarten and now he is entering the first grade. He loves the school, his teachers, his classmates, and even many of the parents of his classmates. The entire PKS community provides a loving and safe environment that acts as his fuel for learning. It is so comforting to see how happy he is at this wonderful school. Our daughter has attended PKS since 2014 -- she has really thrived in this unique learning environment where she can develop her Mandarin language skills and, more importantly, develop social emotional skills that are the foundation for future learning. It is great to see how happy she is at PKS!!

This is my daughter's second year at PKS preschool and we absolutely love it. She had a tough time adjusting to the school last year and the school director, teachers, and fellow parents reached out to her and me to provide lots of support and tips to ease the transition. Throughout the last academic school year, she grew leaps and bounds in terms of social emotional, self help, academic and language skills. The teachers are extremely loving, caring, and are always available for quick chats or talks in person or via email. The Regio approach and the curriculum are designed so that kids are constantly having fun but learning a ton. We were amazed at how much our daughter knew by the end of school year. Lastly the parent community is incredible. It's warm, welcoming, supportive and we've made some good friends here. We are so excited about the school and look forward to staying there for the long haul (it goes up to 8th grade)!

The presentations that the teachers give to parents in the Spring showcasing the project based work that the preschoolers have done during the year always blows me away. The teachers are educated in progressive, constuctivist pedagogy and they are native Mandarin speakers. It's a killer combination!

Our preschooler really flourished at PKS. The teachers are wonderful and warm. They really do care about the kids, and it shows! The student-teacher ratio is fabulous so there's always an adult there when needed, or simply just to do a project with. The teachers really follow the Reggio-Emilia approach, which is really very different than traditional Chinese/Taiwanese methods of teaching. However they do it quite well, in Mandarin, I may add, which I attribute to their dedication as well as the time the school also puts into teacher development. It really is a treasure of a school because I don't know any other place that could pull that off. The English level of the teachers is good, so you shouldn't have a problem communicating with them. The preschool director and the head of school are also quite excellent and professional. The most wonderful thing about the school is the parent community. The parents are very involved in many aspects of the school. The administration embraces this very warmly.

I have a child in first grade and in pre-k, and they are thriving. Neither of my kids had any background in Mandarin before starting but have adjusted beautifully. My first grader's Mandarin has taken off, and she can carry a conversation in Mandarin exclusively. My preschooler is not at that level, but he seems to understand everything that his teachers say. The teachers are all very loving and nurturing, and both my kids are happy to go to school each morning. The school encourages inclusion and social learning just as much as academic learning. I love the project based lessons and the focus on promoting intrinsic motivation and independence in elementary school.

Both my daughters have been attending PKS for the past 2 years. We are knowing in our 3rd year and are greatly satisfied with the education experience my daughters have received. The philosophy at PKS aligns with my personal belief of what education should be-Child Centered. Besides being child centered, another positive attribute of PKS is its commitment to be diverse. As a Chinese Immersion school it is rare to find a diverse community as one can find at PKS. My oldest daughters rates PKS as the "best school ever." She enjoys playing with her friends, learning from her teachers, participating in inquiry projects, and being herself.

My child spent 1 school yr (10 mos) at PKS, from age 4-5. After 6 mos, she tested fluent in Mandarin by SFUSD K-standards. We speak only English at home, and she had no exposure to the language other than at PKS. Her result may not be typical, however, after leaving the school (not b/c of dissatisfaction), experiencing other educational approaches, etc., I have to say that from a purely oral perspective- this Reggio approach cannot be surpassed. My daughter was not studying Chinese (she laughed when I asked her how she learned it then). She was just having fun, and being allowed to be curious and explore. The teachers have control of the kids (I don't know how), but they also let them be kids and be curious. They guide in the gentlest of ways, such that it never felt like forced learning. They would choose a topic of interest to the kids, make a fun project out of it, & narrate/translate/interact in Chinese for the kids. Next thing I knew, my daughter was speaking back to them in Chinese. Native speakers are FLOORED when they hear her and hear that she spent only 10 mos at PKS. The teachers are so patient, kind, loving, engaged, happy- and the end result is beyond words.

Last modified Presidio Knolls School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8