Posted April 21, 2014
Hay my name is Camille Personius and i am in 7th grade and i went to this school. It is a grate school for kids to learn and it has grate teachers as well, i would have never know the things i know now if i had not gone to this school.

Posted March 23, 2014
Alvarado Elementary School has teachers that focus on students with a higher ability and ones that may need more help. Alvarado has a Spanish immersion program which is excellent and really improved my daughters spanish, as well it has an english program too. Two things that I would tell everyone about is the art room with Ms. Tremblay and the computer lab with Mr. Bianchi. In art they do clay to drawing and everything in between. Overall when my daughters graduate from Alvarado, no mater what happens to them I know they will always remember this school.

Posted November 01, 2013
Alvarado is an amazing school. The students treat each other kindly, the parents are incredibly involved, committed participants and fundraisers, and the teachers are dedicated, talented and top-notch educators. We love Alvarado!

Posted October 26, 2013
Excellent public school in a great neighborhood. Strong leadership/Principal, very good teachers, compassionate and supportive community. Fantastic after school program (GLO) with enrichment and sports. Lots of fun PTA clubs (chess, knitting , skateboarding etc). Love morning circle- where principal , teachers, parents make school announcements - great way to feel a part of the community. Lots of money raised through PTA. Families encouraged to participate to school thru volunteering (and/or financial support). And everyone is invited to share their gifts and talents with the students or in the community We have a daughter who graduated from Alvarado and is graduating from middle school, and a son graduating from the fifth grade. We will all miss Alvarado and feel fortunate to have been a part of this great school !

Posted October 24, 2013
One of the best public K-5s in San Francisco. Great teachers, involved parents and fantastic kids. Raises an incredible amount of money through the PTA and the quality of education and experience for the kids is superb.

Posted October 24, 2013
We have been pleased with many aspects of our daughter's education at Alvarado. Overall, we feel Alvarado has an excellent cadre of teachers who are well qualified and care about their students. Especially, parents' involvement is remarkable at Alvarado, what has led to a strong and vital PTA. A bit more emphasis on creativity based education, in my opinion, would push this school into the outstanding range.

Posted August 29, 2013
My son will be graduating in May '14 and we will be sad to leave Alvarado! He has had experienced, caring teachers each year, and has loved the PTA-sponsored after-school clubs, especially chess. Teachers in the lower grades are nurturing, just what you want for the wee one's first few years of school. There are literacy breakfasts in Kinder (wear your pj's!), including breakfast, and a take-home book. My son was in a 4/5 split class last year, and was sufficiently challenged, with several written reports assigned, which students presented in front of the class (parents too). While I wouldn't say it's racially diverse (really just Caucasian and Latino), it is most certainly economically diverse. Is it perfect? No such thing IMHO...but Alvarado is a very good example of a high-functioning urban public school.

Posted August 22, 2013
Alvarado is an excellent school. The parent body is very motivated to raise funds to supplement the education and so we get more arts, gardening, science... The principal is extremely accessible and responsive. So far (my daughter is in second grade) the teachers have been tremendous. We've been very happy here.

Posted March 24, 2013
I went to Alvarado for 6 years, K-5th grade. I am currently finishing my 8th grade year at Aptos Midde School, and will be attending Lowell next year. Alvarado really helped shape my path to good grades and success through middle school; they had a strong parent to teacher to student program, helping young children in every aspect of life, including learning a second language, spanish. My years at Alvarado were truly spectacular, and any child attending there will be nourished by loving teachers, amazing arts programs, and a positive vibe.

Posted May 21, 2012
Our daughter is enrolled in Kindergarten at Alvarado and we feel very lucky. Alvarado is a diverse and vibrant community with teachers that are dedicated to teaching your children in engaging ways. In just a short year our daughter has grown so much. She learned to read and prospered under the guidance of her extraordinary teacher. We highly recommend anyone to Alvarado.

Alvarado Elementary School
625 Douglas Street, San Francisco, CA  94114
Last modified Alvarado Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Alvarado Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 136 reviews.