Aptos Middle School

Public | 6-9 | 991 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 2, 2014

I am an incoming 6th grader this coming fall 2014. I look forward to improve our PTA funding. Which will help our school to improve our with extra safety patrolling our school during the morning, during our lunch time especially when we have 991 almost 1000 students having the same lunch time period. It would be awesome if we have extra faculties monitoring students. I also wanted to mention Aptos Middle school had become a great school over last few years. We hope to improve on our extra curriculum, like the school band, art, and after school program for students who absolutely needs help on their school work. WE'RE PROUD TO BE APTOS MIDDLE SCHOOL KID.

Posted February 12, 2014

I don't really know if I should say yes, it's a good school, or no. I have always had good grades, until seventh. I had the hardest math teacher, and he's really hard. I started asking questions, but he'd answer me with another question. This school can be full of bullying, also. I have been bullied here, and I mean the staff acts like they'll help us feel safe, but in reality, you don't. I went back to General Education for eight, and well .. everyone believes I'm "smarter" than everyone in class, but if I were to be,I wish they'd let me prove I belong in the Honors Class. It also may depend who you may hang out with.. This school should improve by caring more of bullying, and students' grades.

Posted August 23, 2013

its fun and all of the teachers are awesome even the princeabal.alsoevey kid is cool to every body nice,and awesome

Posted April 23, 2013

Very disappointing experience. Aside from a small handful of staff who appear to be trying their best despite limited resources, the school seems to have no handle on how to address bullying issues despite numerous anti-bullying posters scattered about. Safety is a huge concern here and staff seem either unable or disengaged to stop the violence, perhaps because there seems to be an entire culture of these sorts of behaviors rather than a few perpetrators. The honors program is also ludicrous. The supposed honors math/science teacher does little but put on children's movies during class times or check facebook or text. Students are allowed to play cards as well as other games on handheld electronic devices during class times. After a semester of math, our child fell so far behind in the honors class that we had to hire a private tutor!

Posted July 4, 2012

I currently go to this school and both my two sisters went to this school and liked it! my sisters still visit Aptos and I will too when I leave. Aptos is great, it's fun and we learn a lot!

Posted March 19, 2012

I'm currently in 8th grade right now. When I started middle school in the 6th grade, I felt really uncomfortable with the environment and diverse community. But as the year went on, I felt more adapted to the environment and the students weren't as horrible as I thought they would be. The teachers were very supportive and want you to be successful. If you're looking for a middle school, this is the perfect school for your kid. My favorite teacher was Mr. Addiego. He was a truly good teacher and actually taught you the material that you needed to know!

Posted May 25, 2011

Jazz band, regular band, orchestra. Great studio arts teacher. Theater productions. (Many Aptos students go on to attend School of the Arts.) Some really strong science, math, and history teachers--possibly my kids were lucky, but the ones they had were really good. Their classes were good preparation for Lowell. Strong sports teams (make the playoffs or championships in most sports). Really, really diverse student body, the most balanced in the city. A truly dedicated and popular new principal this year. Free afterschool program with enrichment and homework time. Lots of community activities. Active parent group that keeps growing. Beautiful building with refurbished auditorium, and great location next to a park that is just up the hill from the K train. It's a crazy time for parents as the kids are, well, middle-schoolers, but this is a great place....wish I had gone to a school like Aptos when I was in middle school.

Posted May 23, 2011

I've had a student at Aptos for a full school year and so far, I'm amazed at the school quality. The teachers are incredibly engaged. The principal and staff have been supportive. And compared to other schools my daughter has attended, the PTSA is active, inclusive and focused on things that make a difference to the students and their education. I'm thrilled has gotten such great opportunities from a school in our neighborhood.

Posted January 18, 2011

great school teacher help you and the kids are so nice there and also the pricipal is just the best

Posted August 22, 2010

Our son is a 7th grader at Aptos. We are very happy with the quality of the teachers and support staff. We could not ask for more. The band program is AMAZING, the lunch program is wonderful (he eats!) and he is doing quite well and is learning and excelling at his studies.

Posted April 30, 2010

My kid loves it and he is doing so well, the teachers are excellent.

Posted April 20, 2010

Honestly, Aptos has been a non-stop nightmare since my son began eighth grade. I am shocked that there are children who have had positive experiences in this poor excuse for a school. Apathetic teachers, poor leadership, and constant chaos. From faculty and staff who ridicule children who are in emotional pain to students who have turned their school into an incubator for worse things to come, Aptos is a pretty sad example for the SFUSD. My husband and I were unable to hear the speakers during our daughter's eighth grade graduation in 2008 due to the extremely rude and obnoxious audience of parents. Shouting, talking, and even blatantly carrying on a cell phone conversation during the presentation! Where do these people come from? Read previous reviews to catch a glimpse of the poor writing skills that are acquired at Aptos. Do NOT send your children to AptosMS.

Posted March 13, 2010

hey yall out there.want to find a great high skool. well for me i think Aptos is a great one. im in the 8th grade and graduating this year. All the teachers i have were very experienced and has a kind heart.One issue is that kids should stop the grafftie and the gums stickings all over the floor and under the table. Aptos is getting a remodling and the 3rd floor is done plus the groung floor caferteria and the girls bathroom plus the gym and the gym locker rooms.they haven't gone to the boys bathroom yet but the will in the summer.the 2nd floor toward the 3 staircase is done and they are remodeling the #1 staricase right now.I had a fun time at Aptos and will miss all the teachers, friends, and classmates i met.Trust me Aptos is a really great skool.- Angela.GO Tigers Rrawrrrrr! CLASS of 2010!!! ROKS!!!

Posted November 12, 2009

I'm an 8th grader at AMS, I've been here for the past three years, and I got through my bad times and my good times, learning from everything. I love it, it really changed me. I learned from all the different surroundings, the teachers really helped me. They were willing to help you during their lunch time, and afterschool. I would seriously recommend this school to kids from 6th-8th grade !

Posted September 30, 2009

This is my son third year at Aptos. I can tell anyone that Aptos is a very good middle school for children. My son is not a smart boy. When he was a 6th grade student, he got 3 point GPA. Although he was in honor class at that time, 3 point GPA is not good for an honor student. He is very lucky since he has great teachers hepling him. His GPA have improved every term from a 3 Point GPA to a 4 point 7th grader. Now, he is a 8th grade student, and he keeps getting As. I am highly recommend Parents chosing Aptos.

Posted May 21, 2009

I love Aptos. The teachers are really helpful and are willing to stay after school to help with work that you are struggling on. I will be graduating next year, and I am sure that I will miss all of the great teachers I have had.

Posted January 26, 2009

Aptos overall is a good school! The principal and teachers are very passionate about teaching the kids and keeping the kids in line! This is a big school! There are only three grades and over a thousand students! There are alot of other schools that have half the students but the rating is very low..Kudos to the faculty!!

Posted December 18, 2008

I got to aptos and I absolutely love it I highly reccomend it to anyone looking for middle schools

Posted October 10, 2008

i find it nice, except for the following things: -the 80 year old gum on the floors all the time -tendency for kids to chew gums and not dress -failure to clean up after themselves during lunch (always the 8th graders...sigh...) -rowdiness of class(mine tooP) -rudeness -thieves

Posted June 1, 2008

Aptos is a great school, I have tons of fun, friends and the teachers are okay, except for a few who are pretty mean (thanks god I don't have them) The school lunches are really awesome too. :) I recommend Aptos to anyone.

This school's

(2012)

6 / 10

4 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

6 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

4 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

346 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

348 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

295 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

295 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

259 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

292 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

34 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

324 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

291 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

All Students63%

Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • J. Douglas Dent
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Speech and language impairments
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

Transportation options
  • MUNI 23 KT

Aptos Middle School Afterschool Enrichment Program (ExCEL Program) (after school program)

About the program
  • Stonestown YMCA provides enrichment, recreation, academic support, and field trips to students in grades after_school_grade:6,after_school_grade:7,after_school_grade:8 every day after school.SFUSD ExCEL afterschool programs ensure involvement of teachers from students' schools to make sure that afterschool academics are aligned with the school day curriculum. Every school with an ExCEL program partners with a nonprofit community-based organization to run activities and build bridges to the neighborhood.
  • Stonestown Family YMCA
End time
  • 6:25 pm
Is enrollment limited to students who attend the school?
What grades can participate?
  • 6-8
Is there a fee for the program?
Website

Summer program 1

About the program
  • Sixth Grade Step Up Program Program will provide a one week orientation to middle school program for incoming 6th graders
Types of activities
  • Academic
  • Arts
  • Life skills
  • SFUSD
Dates offered
  • June 3, 2013 - June 7, 2013
  • Friday
Is enrollment limited to students who attend the school?
What grades can participate?
  • 6

Summer program 2

About the program
  • Each program has an academic, enrichment and physical activity component. The programs are based on a youth development model and include project based learning activities. The summer programs are operated by community based organizations that are contracted by SFUSD to provide the services based on grants to the school from California Department of Education. Each organization has a site specific enrollment process. Priority enrollment goes to the students from the school site. Students from other SFUSD schools are eligible to apply though in many of the elementary schools there is more demand than available slots. Funding changes year to year and program offerings change.
Types of activities