Creative Arts Charter School

Charter | K-8 | 366 students

We are best known for our joyful learning community.

Sweep tile

Posted March 26, 2014

Why CACS is such an amazing school: the incredible and loving community, the service learning days where students go out in the community and help others, the camping trips where students and families bond in nature, the dynamic, creative, and hard working teachers, the innovative projects students create every day, the art, dance, music. and theater performances the community work on and display in a variety of ways, the dedicated administration, and the phenomenal art specialists. We love CACS and feel so lucky to be part of this beautiful community.

Posted February 22, 2014

If you are seeking a small community where it feels and operates more like a family as opposed to a traditional school then this is the school for you! Every child, including my daughter, feel they are being educated by aunts, uncles, mothers, fathers, grandmas and grandpas -- this is because every child/family is an integral part of the community. Creative Arts students are loved, respected, and looked after by every single staff member in the building. This is what I love about CACS and I am very grateful for. My daughter, who in the past, had a very difficult time with transitions and new situations, transitioned into Kindergarten seamlessly because she felt she was with family from the first day of school and felt that her individuality was a beautiful and an important addition to the school. I also admire that the every child at CACS feels freedom on a daily basis -- they are free to be themselves and encouraged to explore and work on their relationships with their peers, their teachers, their family, their neighborhood, and beyond. I can t imagine a better community for a child to grow and learn in.

Posted October 3, 2013

Creative Arts Charter school is an exceptional environment for learning. It features an extremely strong community of educators, parents and students. My child is currently in kindergarten and we could not be more pleased. Her teacher is wonderful and caring. I have noticed my child maturing daily and she loves school. It is a very inclusive environment. It is a big reason to STAY in SF for public school. My only concern is that more children want to attend than there are spaces.

Posted September 30, 2013

This is only school I know of in the city that produces students who can think critically and creatively, communicate effectively, collaborate with diverse groups of people, display excellent leadership skills, and compassion to people from all walks of life. This school is nurturing and creating visionaries every day. We feel very lucky to be part of this amazing community and I can't wait to see what our graduates go on to achieve.

Posted September 16, 2013

As a prospective parent I toured many of the public schools in SF and frankly it was frightening -- all the Kindergarten classes were almost identical, the students were going through the motions like robots, and I witnessed almost zero engagement from the students and teachers. Then I visited CACS where the classrooms were reflections of the teachers -- they were different, fun, lively, completely outside the box, the students were having FUN, were completely ENGAGED, LAUGHING and learning every moment. If that wasn't enough, the music/art program is unbelievably amazing/top notch. I can't say enough about it. If your son or daughter likes music or is musically inclined send them to this school! My son now attends CACS and we could not be happier. The staff is amazing, the community is wonderful and my child LOVES school. I honestly don't think there is a better school than CACS and it's a K-8 which is ideal. Lastly, the middle school program incorporates camping, outward bound and community service as part of their curriculum. Can this school get any better?

Posted September 16, 2013

This school is the best kept secret in San Francisco. It amazes me that so many people don't even know this school exists. I honestly wonder if this is done purposely. I only heard about this school myself because a friend of mine knew a staff member. In any case, it won't be this way for long. Our children have been attending this school for three years and with sincerity, I say CACS is a phenomenal school. The school is innovative, warm, inspiring, and it feels like a home away from home for the students on all levels. I wish I had gone to this school. I have also found that all the students are very cerebral, the parents are extremely involved, and the staff is caring, understanding, and dedicated. But, most importantly, the students are getting an excellent education. The program is comprehensive, hands-on and the school is creating innovators. Tour this school, apply, and good luck getting in!

Posted March 1, 2013

I just spent the morning watching my son's kindergarten class lead the CACS all-school meeting and I am once again filled with admiration for the wonderful, caring, and attentive staff, the engaged parents, and the passionate young students of CACS. This is our 4th year at CACS. My two children have very different learning styles, and both are thriving in this project-based, arts-integrated learning environment. We are watching the transformation of the middle school curriculum and are excited to see the strong math and science program that our science-minded girl will be entering. Weekly music, dance, and art throughout the school year are a big hit with my kindergartener. The school partnership with the Page St. Boys and Girls club means daily van pickup and dropoff to homework help and swimming lessons. My kinder, who doesn't go to the Boys and Girls Club yet, loves CACS's weekly on-site chess club after school. We are extremely satisfied with CACS and recommend it to anyone who wants to imbue their child's education with creative thinking, unique challenges, and joy.

Posted December 5, 2012

I have 2 kids at CACS and have been at the school 7 years and couldn't be happier. The teachers, parents, board and director are working like a well oiled machine and the school has made great advances in its program over the last 3 years despite budget cuts and personnel changes. It feels like we have hit our stride. We even have 2 new positions on staff this year to oversee the arts and academics and I dare say we offer one of the best educational programs offered in San Francisco.

Posted December 3, 2012

We have two children in this school (including K) and are impressed. After attending SFUSD first, we were lucky to get into a charter school and we won't ever go back. They teach our children how to be critical thinkers and they educate them to communicate with each other. Our director left due to family situation, not because he didn't believe in the school and I disagree that the academics have changed since his departure. The school has project based learning and that can't change overnight. Both of our kids teachers have a masters and love teaching.

Posted December 2, 2012

As a kindergarten parent, we are thrilled with CACS. The teachers and staff are amazing. The responsive classroom allows the children to all work at their own level. They learn from a young age to be responsible for their own education. Most importantly, our daughter loves school!

Posted November 30, 2012

Since the director quit at the beginning of this year, this school has really gone downhill academically.

Posted August 12, 2012

was always a very well run school. Always hire very good teachers Now completely renovated.

Posted May 9, 2012

Creative Arts Charter School offers a learning environment where every child is seen in all aspects of its personality and dedicated teachers really go out of their way to help every kid to live up to its potential. Moreover, it was the CACS-community that made us feel at home from the first day at school on. When we moved from Europe to San Francisco with three kids (entering K, 4th and 8th grade) the oldest spoke just a little English while the two younger ones did not speak the language at all. Now, after less then a year, they all thrive and meet the learning requirements of their age level. Our daughter and many of her fellow 8th graders got into some of the cities most competitive high schools. We couldn't have wished for a better school than this one!

Posted February 5, 2012

Creative Arts has incredible middle school science and math classes. My son is doing high school level work and loving the challenge. The advanced math teacher is amazing, bringing years of real world experience to the students. Finally, San Francisco has a middle school that meets the needs of high achieving students.

Posted January 23, 2012

Our family has been at Creative Arts since our 6th grader began Kindergarten and with two sons at the school now we couldn't be happier. The small school environment and whole-child approach means each of our sons is truly well known and nurtured. The school meets the needs of both our math- and science-oriented 6th grader who loves electronics, computer programming, and D&D and our 3rd grader who loves music and dreams of being a toy designer. The project-based teaching approach allows each child to focus their efforts where they're most passionate, making the learning experience more meaningful and helping them develop their individual sense of self. Teachers provide very personalized feedback through the report card process and are available to support the child and his or her family throughout the school year. The parent community believes in the school's mission and is actively involved in bringing it to fruition. And our director is a wonderful advocate for the use of creativity in learning as well as a thoughtful, deliberate leader. I couldn't imagine sending our children to another school. I am confident that each our our sons will be well-prepared for whatever life brings.

Posted November 9, 2011

My son is a physically active and creative child who was sent to counselling and remedial classes in a generic public school when we first moved to San Francisco. Since he has entered CACS he is the top of his class in writing, excels in math , has lots of friends and is generally percieved as a well liked, high functioning child. CACS allows children with strong personalities and love of physical activity to excel instead of being marginalized and suppressed.

Posted November 9, 2011

We were fortunate to have choices during the Kinder search last year, and we ended up getting in to a very traditional, high-performing SFUSD school and CACS. My husband and I both felt very connected to CACS from the moment we toured the school. All you have to do is experience the Community Meeting on Fridays mornings, and you will feel the sense of community and see the healthy confidence of the students. Kids are happy at CACS and thrive at our school because of the open arts- integrated curriculum. I'm amazed at how synergistic the programs are from their classroom teacher, to the art, dance, music and even the aftercare program...you can see the amount of effort that goes on behind the scenes to make sure that each child has the opportunity to learn core competencies through different modalities. And to top if off, this school encourages open communication and full flow of creativity and expression. I bet you can see why we chose CACS over the very traditional high API score school down the street. Research shows that arts-integrated and project-based programs encourage whole child development, and for us that made sense. Not to mention the happy feeling I got on my tour!

Posted November 8, 2011

We came to CACS last year after stints in a private as well as a top SFUSD elementary school. Although we encountered wonderful educators and families in all schools, I feel we have finally found our home here at CACS. Our two children who are quite different are both thriving and their love of learning is nurtured every day. Our more academic child is continually challenged; our child with some learning differences is accepted and supported. We have been impressed with the caliber of teaching, the innovative curriculum and pleased to find that not only does CACS excel in the arts but also in math and science. CACS is truly a gem of a school!

Posted November 7, 2011

Our middle school-er is thriving at CACS. If you are looking for an alternative option that is nurturing, challenging and safe for your child - come visit this school. The teachers are so dedicated and teach to the whole child - they teach every child, because every child learns differently. Kids graduate from this school with confidence, extremely high self esteem and ready to move on to high school. I am proud to be associated with such an incredible group of kids, parents, teachers and administrators.

Posted November 4, 2011

This is our fourth year at Creative arts and I cannot imagine going anywhere else. I know how excited my daughter is going to school everyday, great community, support. I am the only parent and we are an adopted family multi racial and I never felt at odd at creative arts. I know my kids gets all the support she needs, socially, academically and so forth. remarkable faculty, no bullying, extremely creative environment, yet I know my child is getting what she needs academically

This school's

(2012)

6 / 10

2 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

6 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

2 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

43 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

21 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

21 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

41 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

40 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

40 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

16 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

27 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

All Students68%

Non-economically disadvantaged76%
Students with no reported disability75%
Fluent-English proficient and English only69%
Parent education - declined to state77%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students38%

Parent education - declined to state69%

Asian 12% 11%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Japanese
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Garden/Greenhouse
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

School start time
  • 8:20 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Fernando Aguilar
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (415) 749-3437

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Project-based
  • arts-integrated
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Arts (all)
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Art room
  • Cafeteria
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

Media arts
  • Computer animation
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom