Posted August 13, 2014
Remember when you were in middle school and the majority conformed to whoever and whatever was popular? Imagine a school where nonconformity is the norm. That s Creative Arts. Every student works hard on developing who they are and praised for it. I attended the 8th grade graduation in May and all the students were so proud of their individualism. All who attended could clearly see future innovators, nobel laureates, rocket scientists, artists, writers, and goodwill ambassadors. If you have a chance, attend the graduation, it s intimate, fun, emotional, and it s a great window into what the community is like and how your child will develop if they attend CACS. From the first day of Kindergarten until their last day, students are encouraged to think outside the box, create, invent, and problem-solve. They are challenged and enjoy learning. My son will graduate next year and it will be hard to find a high school that will even come close to matching CACS. We feel incredibly lucky to be a part of the CACS community.
2 people found this helpful

Posted July 01, 2014
Exceptional teachers, administrators, staff, parents and students. The school was a California School Recognition Program (CSRP) distinguished school honoree for 2014 and received an additional award for Exemplary Arts Education Program.

Posted March 26, 2014
Why CACS is such an amazing school: the incredible and loving community, the service learning days where students go out in the community and help others, the camping trips where students and families bond in nature, the dynamic, creative, and hard working teachers, the innovative projects students create every day, the art, dance, music. and theater performances the community work on and display in a variety of ways, the dedicated administration, and the phenomenal art specialists. We love CACS and feel so lucky to be part of this beautiful community.

Posted February 22, 2014
If you are seeking a small community where it feels and operates more like a family as opposed to a traditional school then this is the school for you! Every child, including my daughter, feel they are being educated by aunts, uncles, mothers, fathers, grandmas and grandpas -- this is because every child/family is an integral part of the community. Creative Arts students are loved, respected, and looked after by every single staff member in the building. This is what I love about CACS and I am very grateful for. My daughter, who in the past, had a very difficult time with transitions and new situations, transitioned into Kindergarten seamlessly because she felt she was with family from the first day of school and felt that her individuality was a beautiful and an important addition to the school. I also admire that the every child at CACS feels freedom on a daily basis -- they are free to be themselves and encouraged to explore and work on their relationships with their peers, their teachers, their family, their neighborhood, and beyond. I can t imagine a better community for a child to grow and learn in.

Posted September 30, 2013
This is only school I know of in the city that produces students who can think critically and creatively, communicate effectively, collaborate with diverse groups of people, display excellent leadership skills, and compassion to people from all walks of life. This school is nurturing and creating visionaries every day. We feel very lucky to be part of this amazing community and I can't wait to see what our graduates go on to achieve.

Posted September 16, 2013
As a prospective parent I toured many of the public schools in SF and frankly it was frightening -- all the Kindergarten classes were almost identical, the students were going through the motions like robots, and I witnessed almost zero engagement from the students and teachers. Then I visited CACS where the classrooms were reflections of the teachers -- they were different, fun, lively, completely outside the box, the students were having FUN, were completely ENGAGED, LAUGHING and learning every moment. If that wasn't enough, the music/art program is unbelievably amazing/top notch. I can't say enough about it. If your son or daughter likes music or is musically inclined send them to this school! My son now attends CACS and we could not be happier. The staff is amazing, the community is wonderful and my child LOVES school. I honestly don't think there is a better school than CACS and it's a K-8 which is ideal. Lastly, the middle school program incorporates camping, outward bound and community service as part of their curriculum. Can this school get any better?
2 people found this helpful

Posted September 16, 2013
This school is the best kept secret in San Francisco. It amazes me that so many people don't even know this school exists. I honestly wonder if this is done purposely. I only heard about this school myself because a friend of mine knew a staff member. In any case, it won't be this way for long. Our children have been attending this school for three years and with sincerity, I say CACS is a phenomenal school. The school is innovative, warm, inspiring, and it feels like a home away from home for the students on all levels. I wish I had gone to this school. I have also found that all the students are very cerebral, the parents are extremely involved, and the staff is caring, understanding, and dedicated. But, most importantly, the students are getting an excellent education. The program is comprehensive, hands-on and the school is creating innovators. Tour this school, apply, and good luck getting in!

Posted March 01, 2013
I just spent the morning watching my son's kindergarten class lead the CACS all-school meeting and I am once again filled with admiration for the wonderful, caring, and attentive staff, the engaged parents, and the passionate young students of CACS. This is our 4th year at CACS. My two children have very different learning styles, and both are thriving in this project-based, arts-integrated learning environment. We are watching the transformation of the middle school curriculum and are excited to see the strong math and science program that our science-minded girl will be entering. Weekly music, dance, and art throughout the school year are a big hit with my kindergartener. The school partnership with the Page St. Boys and Girls club means daily van pickup and dropoff to homework help and swimming lessons. My kinder, who doesn't go to the Boys and Girls Club yet, loves CACS's weekly on-site chess club after school. We are extremely satisfied with CACS and recommend it to anyone who wants to imbue their child's education with creative thinking, unique challenges, and joy.

Posted December 05, 2012
I have 2 kids at CACS and have been at the school 7 years and couldn't be happier. The teachers, parents, board and director are working like a well oiled machine and the school has made great advances in its program over the last 3 years despite budget cuts and personnel changes. It feels like we have hit our stride. We even have 2 new positions on staff this year to oversee the arts and academics and I dare say we offer one of the best educational programs offered in San Francisco.

Posted December 03, 2012
We have two children in this school (including K) and are impressed. After attending SFUSD first, we were lucky to get into a charter school and we won't ever go back. They teach our children how to be critical thinkers and they educate them to communicate with each other. Our director left due to family situation, not because he didn't believe in the school and I disagree that the academics have changed since his departure. The school has project based learning and that can't change overnight. Both of our kids teachers have a masters and love teaching.

Creative Arts Charter School
1601 Turk St., San Francisco, CA  94115
Last modified Creative Arts Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Creative Arts Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 128 reviews.