Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

My 7th grader has loved his experience at Denman. The first year of Middle School is tough no matter where you live or go to school. My son's transition has been great. The teachers are really engaged and have been a joy to see in action. If you are looking for a terrific Middle School in SF, you cannot go wrong with Denman.

Teachers here are awesome! Like any 6th grader, my child started off nervous about going to a school with so many kids--especially because 8th graders seem so big. It's been about a month now and he feels totally at home and has grown so independent practically overnight. Lots of sports teams, clubs and extracurricular options are offered to enrich the experience. This is one of those schools that just tries a little harder... And we're thrilled to be part of it!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

We just had back to school night at JDMS. The teachers are amazing and have very solid credentials. My daughter is absolutely engaged in her classes.

My daughter is a 7th grader at JDMS. Her experience so far has been amazing. She is 100% engaged in her classes and loves her teachers. Her elective for the second year in a row is Coding and it is fun to watch her excel and learn a subject matter that somewhat unknown to us as parents. She participates in school clubs which has allowed her to really discover and broaden her own unique areas of interest. This year JDMS is giving out iPads to every child in school and we are excited to see how this expands the curriculum. We have two more kids coming down the pike, and they both can't wait to get to JDMS!

My son is a 7th grader at Denman, attending with a couple dozen classmates from Miraloma. He is eager to go to school each day, enjoys the independence, and loves the huge play yard for lunch and PE activities. For a second school year, we find the teachers to be very good--challenging, supportive of the kids as they navigate middle school, and accessible when questions or concerns arise. The school and faculty offer many clubs and activities that appeal to a wide range of interests, as do the elective classes. It's a nice-feeling school--mid-size, so it feels like the next step without being overwhelmingly large. My son has been challenged and successful academically, come to a greater understanding of the diversity that is San Francisco, and has been supported as he learns and moves through this transitional time of life. The PTSA is active and growing every year, with passionate supporters and an administration that is innovative and really rallies for the Denman students. Each kid is different in what best suits their academic and social needs--Denman has been a good fit for my son, and his friends are happy and achieving as well.

My kid is a high achiever coming from Miraloma and is extremely happy at Denman. The amazing teachers are keeping him engaged, and have gained his respect from day one. He doesn't feel a difference in class size (going from 25 to 35) because the kids behave and are respectful towards their teachers. There is a lot of technology at the school as the principal makes it a priority. They have robotics club, Maker lab, coding elective and it is one of the first four schools to get computer science in the core curriculum in all grades. The school is becoming very desired and even with expansion to 750 students this year (from around 600), there is a long waitlist. You're lucky if you can get in!!

jDMS was our feeder. My daughter chose this school sight unseen, based upon information listed about clubs, enrichment and other. She has had the best 6th grade experience, better than we could have hoped for entering middle school. With the combination of energetic Teachers, staff, and excellent PE program it has been nothing short of excellent. In her words " I am learning so much!" A true bonus school and hidden gem. I almost don't want to share!

Denman has been the perfect school for our 8th grade daughter. She has found acceptance, friendship, and opportunities for growth way beyond what our family expected from a middle school. The teachers are wonderful, administration has a vision and pursues it, and the parents are great as well. My wife and I have made good friends here, too! The school has many clubs, my daughter participates in two or three of them a year.

My son only recently started at Denman. We are part of a growing group of families coming from the Miraloma Feeder. We are pleased with the school, so far. The teaching seems top notch. The principal has vision and passion. She is spearheading many new innovative programs. My son is making friends and feels safe and comfortable at school. It is a friendly welcoming environment. The student body is diverse in every way and that only enriches my child's learning experience. It is one of the few school that I toured that is implementing the district Restorative practices program fully and with real commitment. This is a school going through rapid change and it is exciting to be a part of those changes. We like that this is one of the smaller public middle schools in the city. The after school program is great and free. The school is a gem in the rough still some polishing needed, but well on it's way!

James Denman is a great school! Their teachers are great and educate you fairly well. I began in 6th grade with a 7th grade reading level and ended with a 10th grade reading level. The best part of the school is their Band/Orchestra. The class has lots of spirit and the teacher is hilarious! Those are the memories I'll remember the most. It's also a very diverse school with friendly people. The counselors are understanding and open to talk most of the time. The best part is that the school has many clubs for students to join. I joined about 3-4 clubs and it was a blast! You meet new people and you become a bigger part of the community. Speaking of community, they have a garden next to the school where students are able to work with plants to beautify the community. The only con would be PE. I didn't feel very worked out because they provided us with a lot of free time. Otherwise, I would rate this school a 9/10.

Last modified Denman (James) Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.